10-Year-Old Unlocks Face ID on His Mother's iPhone X as Questionable Mask Spoofing Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM.

1. MisterK macrumors 6502

It's important that people find these issues and Apple fixes them. Dismissing these videos does a disservice to everyone. FaceID is inherently less secure than TouchID, regardless of the numbers, simply for the fact that I can see when someone's face is more likely to match mine rather than if their fingerprints are close enough to match mine. Eventually that front facing camera gets good enough to match both facial features *and* do retinal scanning, but Apple has little reason to push for this unless it's clear to the public that FaceID needs work. The good news is that the iPhone X is full of potential. It's clearer to see where we go from here in improvements. FaceID is a technological feat and it requires improvement. Both of these are facts.

2. jwhitnah macrumors regular

jwhitnah

It is important that people understand what they are buying. Apple says one thing but, it seems to be BS. Hopefully the product will improve if there is enough pressure.

3. jona2125 macrumors regular

I was able to do this with my fathers phone without intent. The weird part is that he is clean shaven, on top of being quite older than me, while I have a beard. I never entered his passcode or anything before hand.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

For me TouchID is more than theft prevention. It keeps my kids out of my phone without me having to use a passcode every time. If this issue happens often it’s a real problem.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How so? No one is able to unlock my X. Let’s see an example of this from start to finish with every step taken documented.

6. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

You know what’s easier - glancing someone inputting the pass code and unlocking it like that. Where is the uproar that pass codes are no longer secure!

Seriously, I’m a huge critic of Apple, but all this FaceID fail criticism is not very intellectual , practical or valid.

7. blulegend macrumors regular

This is not the greatest for being out in public where you could potentially be filmed entering in your amazing password. A combination of FaceID and TouchID would be almost ideal. And if you need EXTRA security add a password on top of it. You should be able to select the options you want.

8. brendu macrumors 68020

This is an interesting site to waste time on if you “left the Apple boat”

9. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

FaceID is the worst for security. #1 Passcode #2 TouchID #3 FaceID which in my personal opinion is just a gimmick. Apple was pressured to put a new piece of tech in a phone and we got FaceID. TouchID under the screen would have been a lot more WOW / impressive to me at least. What's next VoiceID?

10. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

11. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

You’re saying Face ID can’t based on this one article from Wired? I remember Touch ID allegedly being spoofed right after it came out too.

12. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

13. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

That’s not a source, that’s a statement. You’re kidding, right?

14. maverick28 macrumors member

"Even if the video is legitimate, it's hardly something that the average person should be concerned about. The chances of someone creating such a sophisticated mask of your facial features would seem extremely slim"

I expected something like that to emerge as some sort of an obvious failure vindication. It either works or it does not. Apple has been compromised against its own claims ("chances are 1/1 100 000", "impossible to trick into unlocking by using a mask"). Now this. The thing costs 1000$.Hmm.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

And you take this story at face value without the least bit of skepticism?

16. Zxxv Suspended

Wipe after 10 failed passcode attempts would also wipe it incase they dont connect to the internet again.

17. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

like this - eroifhioh3iogh3483uyt98th3hthu3t3oth89438yt39y4h4hoq@£$%^

18. shplock macrumors regular

Why? I mean many people(yourself included perhaps)pay hundreds of thousands of Dollars/Pounds/whatever for a house that should be worth a LOT LESS.

19. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

You can't deny that something is very irregular with iPhone X though.
    We never saw any videos of people unlocking other devices with TouchID.

20. 840quadra, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM

840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I read the article before posting, and still question what they are saying as being accurate. Why create a brand new youtube account just for this, and not include the follow-up training and tests in this, or a separate video since they already bothered to create this channel in the first place.

I suspect (like you do), if genuine, the device had little time to learn.

21. FelixDerKater, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM

FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

What happens if you try to enroll two different faces in scan one and two during setup?

22. Zxxv Suspended

Alittle discipline would accomplish the same thing.

23. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Then return the damn phone (if you even bought one) and tell Apple
    it sucks that way. If you didn’t buy one, what the hell are you complaining about, since this obviously doesn’t affect
    you.

24. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

are we surprised? just another random tech gimmick from Apple - regardless if it is better or not. They more and more like Samsung by each release.

25. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I have high levels of skepticism. But on this, I don't see what there is to be skeptical about. Maybe fill me in?
    Like I mentioned to you in an earlier comment, you can't deny that something is very irregular with iPhone X. We never saw any videos of people unlocking other devices with TouchID.