Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
It's important that people find these issues and Apple fixes them. Dismissing these videos does a disservice to everyone. FaceID is inherently less secure than TouchID, regardless of the numbers, simply for the fact that I can see when someone's face is more likely to match mine rather than if their fingerprints are close enough to match mine. Eventually that front facing camera gets good enough to match both facial features *and* do retinal scanning, but Apple has little reason to push for this unless it's clear to the public that FaceID needs work. The good news is that the iPhone X is full of potential. It's clearer to see where we go from here in improvements. FaceID is a technological feat and it requires improvement. Both of these are facts.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Personally, I view FaceID as a measure by which if your average thief steals my iPhone X or someone dishonest finds it, they're not easily able to gain access to it and therefore there's less incentive to steal it in the first place.

The fact that it maybe spoofed by someone going to measures that your average thief is going to bother with, or there maybe an outside chance of it thinking a specific person is me doesn't really concern me.

It's like my house - I'm happy that it's secure enough to deter the average burglar even though, like most houses, anyone with an axe who wanted to get in could do so without too much difficulty.

For me TouchID is more than theft prevention. It keeps my kids out of my phone without me having to use a passcode every time. If this issue happens often it’s a real problem.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
FaceID is an awesome concept, but at the moment this is all it is: a concept. I am sure that 2nd or 3rd generation will do wonders, but sadly this is simply not true for the current generation which is little more than a beta.
How so? No one is able to unlock my X. Let’s see an example of this from start to finish with every step taken documented.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
You know what’s easier - glancing someone inputting the pass code and unlocking it like that. Where is the uproar that pass codes are no longer secure!

Seriously, I’m a huge critic of Apple, but all this FaceID fail criticism is not very intellectual , practical or valid.

Reactions: JunkiesNeedle

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
This is not the greatest for being out in public where you could potentially be filmed entering in your amazing password. A combination of FaceID and TouchID would be almost ideal. And if you need EXTRA security add a password on top of it. You should be able to select the options you want.

If you fear for your security, FaceID AND TouchID are poor choices. Go with a very long, secure password. Quit crying.

Reactions: motulist

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
FaceID is the worst for security. #1 Passcode #2 TouchID #3 FaceID which in my personal opinion is just a gimmick. Apple was pressured to put a new piece of tech in a phone and we got FaceID. TouchID under the screen would have been a lot more WOW / impressive to me at least. What's next VoiceID?

Reactions: 6803390

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don’t want my kids unlocking my phone. Touch ID prevents this. If FaceID can’t, that’s a serious problem IMO.
You’re saying Face ID can’t based on this one article from Wired? I remember Touch ID allegedly being spoofed right after it came out too.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
"Even if the video is legitimate, it's hardly something that the average person should be concerned about. The chances of someone creating such a sophisticated mask of your facial features would seem extremely slim"

I expected something like that to emerge as some sort of an obvious failure vindication. It either works or it does not. Apple has been compromised against its own claims ("chances are 1/1 100 000", "impossible to trick into unlocking by using a mask"). Now this. The thing costs 1000$.Hmm.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The mother and son don't even have the same facial structure! The kid clearly has a more rounded head and the mother a more oval head.
And you take this story at face value without the least bit of skepticism?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Face ID is a hell of a lot better than entering a password, and much easier than using Touch ID. If I lose my phone, It will keep people out until I can remotely wipe it. Not concerned at all.

Wipe after 10 failed passcode attempts would also wipe it incase they dont connect to the internet again.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
How so? No one is able to unlock my X. Let’s see an example of this from start to finish with every step taken documented.
You can't deny that something is very irregular with iPhone X though.
We never saw any videos of people unlocking other devices with TouchID.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It sounds like it was right after setting it up for the first time. The system wouldn't have much in the way of information on the correct face so it would be far easier to trick with the face of your child who will have many of the same features as the parent.

I read the article before posting, and still question what they are saying as being accurate. Why create a brand new youtube account just for this, and not include the follow-up training and tests in this, or a separate video since they already bothered to create this channel in the first place.

I suspect (like you do), if genuine, the device had little time to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
This should not happen. The device is fundamentally broken. People live in families, not random crowds. iPhone X is Apple's most stupid phone ever. Apple screwed up, big time. Stop blaming the users. iPhone X should work correctly out of the box first time, every time. It should work optimally once the face is setup and registered. It doesn't. Touch ID is clearly more secure. Why didn't they just persist with TouchID.
Then return the damn phone (if you even bought one) and tell Apple
it sucks that way. If you didn’t buy one, what the hell are you complaining about, since this obviously doesn’t affect
you.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
are we surprised? just another random tech gimmick from Apple - regardless if it is better or not. They more and more like Samsung by each release.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
And you take this story at face value without the least bit of skepticism?
I have high levels of skepticism. But on this, I don't see what there is to be skeptical about. Maybe fill me in?
Like I mentioned to you in an earlier comment, you can't deny that something is very irregular with iPhone X. We never saw any videos of people unlocking other devices with TouchID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.