10-Year-Old Unlocks Face ID on His Mother's iPhone X as Questionable Mask Spoofing Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

I don’t want my kids unlocking my phone. Touch ID prevents this. If FaceID can’t, that’s a serious problem IMO.

2. Konceptz804 macrumors member

Click bait, and in other news, Samsung is making more money off of iPhone 8 /x Sales vs their own Galaxy phones.....

3. MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

Apple said there would be one in a million anomalies. I am pretty sure they have sold more than one million iPhones.

Besides, her son could qualify as a "twin".

4. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

And what would you have instead? Iris scanners? You must really hate technology or be a massive Apple hater to crap on the tech behind Face ID. This is all getting a bit stale there champ

5. falainber macrumors 6502a

falainber

What facts? I do not recall family members unlocking Touch ID left and right after it was introduced. Do you have any evidence of that?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The release of TouchID was followed immediately by supposed proofs of concept for fooling it with artificial fingerprints. This obviously was a huge TouchID fail because after that lots of phones were opened with duplicated fingerprints. Or none at all, it is so hard to remember.

7. ACST Suspended

To be fair he looks like a mini-me of his mother. You could face swap them and nobody would notice (not even FaceID).

8. califlorida macrumors member

So far I like Face ID personally much more seamless experience. Also don’t mind the new gestures, and enjoy the screen. All these complaints are overblown IMHO.

9. diegov12 macrumors member

Apple that if you have a kid under 13, you should use face Id.
    But who's going to read that?

10. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

dabb'n on Tim Cook lol ... 1 in a million right Timmy?

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Of course its just my opinion, but I'm willing to believe that it's highly unlikely that the majority of children could unlock their parents iPhone with Face ID. Given the circumstances of this article, this doesn't change my perception that Face ID is any less secure based off this specific scenario.

12. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Has anyone yet seen if FaceID can be fooled by identical twins? I know that Windows Hello (which is similar tech) can tell the difference between identical twins, would lend me to believe that it would also have a hard time confusing mother/ son.

13. lenard macrumors 6502

Minus the hair they look identical anyway, same genies too.....lol..family members watch out!!!

14. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

The resemblance between those two is tight. Still should not have happened. The training process should have refused to work in the bad lighting.

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

As these always do, on purpose. It’s all about spreading Apple FUD.

16. MVMNT macrumors member

So now not only will someone steal your phone, they'll take your child too...

Seriously though, it needs an entire start to end proof of concept. Face scan verification rather than a bait and switch halfway though the setup process.

17. diegov12 macrumors member

Apple said you should not use face id if you have a kid under 13.

18. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

These people who claim to spoof Face ID aren't telling the whole story.

19. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

This should not happen. The device is fundamentally broken. People live in families, not random crowds. iPhone X is Apple's most stupid phone ever. Apple screwed up, big time. Stop blaming the users. iPhone X should work correctly out of the box first time, every time. It should work optimally once the face is setup and registered. It doesn't. Touch ID is clearly more secure. Why didn't they just persist with TouchID.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

But FaceID Only stores one face.

21. gpwdeux macrumors newbie

gpwdeux

Simple fix. If you are worried about it, don't use it. I always thought of touch id and now face id as a middle ground anyway, like a compromise between the security of a passcode and the convenience of quickly opening your phone. If security is of the upmost importance, you would only use the passcode and surely wouldn't hand your phone over to someone else anyway. For the rest of us, the minuscule chance of a security breach is far outweighed by the convenience of something like face id and not really any different than every time you give your card to a waiter at a restaurant.

22. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

And, what's the whole story?

23. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Face ID is a hell of a lot better than entering a password, and much easier than using Touch ID. If I lose my phone, It will keep people out until I can remotely wipe it. Not concerned at all.

24. shplock macrumors regular

In the same way that Samsung and apologists could spin the Note 7 fiasco as 'Emergency hand warming feature'

25. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

The mother and son don't even have the same facial structure! The kid clearly has a more rounded head and the mother a more oval head.