Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one?

• 2018 11" 256GB wifi - £830

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • 2017 12.9" 512GB wifi + cellular - £800

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

sickoagb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I've decided to relegate my 13 inch rMBP to home only status (typing, photos etc.) due to it having limited storage and ageing with it being the base model.

As a result I was looking at an iPad Pro to replace it for everyday use as a student, and ideally was looking at the 11 inch 2018 Pro as I wanted a smaller model that was more portable. However John Lewis has the 12.9 inch 2017 model with 512GB and cellular for only £799, compared to the £830 I was going to spend on the 256GB 11 inch Pro 2018 without cellular using my student discount.

When I last used the 12.9 inch (about a year ago) I decided that I wouldn't ever want that model because it was too cumbersome to be portable, but that was from the viewpoint of having it as an additional device. I'm planning to use the iPad as my daily driver: studying, note-taking (with Apple Pencil), multimedia, games and more, along with carrying it around everyday instead of my laptop. All of the new features and the 'newness' of the 11 inch are so enticing (and I loved using it in store) but the price of the 12.9 inch with the amount of storage + cellular is also making me rethink.

Which is the better option? (please vote as well above)

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I would go for the 11 but with cellular if you can afford it. 12.9 2017 is too big if you really want an every day portable device.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ll take the regular iPad over the smaller Pro for most use cases. Much better value for me. Either that or the 12.9 for its great display size if you can afford it.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
If you are going portably a lot then the 11 I think, but have you looked at the 10.5 maybe with cellular? It is my current device and best iPad I have used for overall use due to its footprint (did have 12.9 gen 1). Also consider the case or Smart Keyboard and pencil, the price will go up sharply. Best of luck.

sickoagb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I would go for the 11 but with cellular if you can afford it. 12.9 2017 is too big if you really want an every day portable device.
I’ll take the regular iPad over the smaller Pro for most use cases. Much better value for me. Either that or the 12.9 for its great display size if you can afford it.
If you are going portably a lot then the 11 I think, but have you looked at the 10.5 maybe with cellular? It is my current device and best iPad I have used for overall use due to its footprint (did have 12.9 gen 1). Also consider the case or Smart Keyboard and pencil, the price will go up sharply. Best of luck.

Thanks all for your replies. Unfortunately I cannot stretch my budget further as I want costs to be below £1000 after i buy the Apple Pencil and a case too. However the 10.5 is also a good option but I wouldn't want the regular iPad as the screen is too small and I prefer the newer displays with ProMotion etc. and want to keep this for years.

I think my options now are between iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad Pro 11, where I can get the 10.5 for £700 (or lower used/refurbished) with 256GB or the 11 for £830 with 256GB. Ideally I am trying to keep the price down while maximising performance. Is the extra money worth it for the 11 inch?

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
Apple Pencil and Case (keyboard?) will be 200+ ? I can vouch for the Apple 10.5 ASK, very good and easy for typing but that is 150 new, or you can get it later on. I have also always bought cellular but hardly ever use it and you can tether to your phone instead. I decided not to upgrade to the 11 inch as I cannot see the need for the extra performance for my usage but if you are more specific with apps you want to run, perhaps someone with the 11 inch can respond?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.