Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The updated 11-inch iPad Pro expected to launch sometime this year can no longer be expected to feature a mini-LED display like its larger 12.9-inch sibling, display analyst Ross Young said today on Twitter.

iPad-Pro-Big-Ol-Logo.jpg

Earlier rumors indicated that after keeping mini-LED exclusive to just the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in 2021, Apple would expand the newer display technology to the smaller 11-inch form factor. Young, in a tweet, says that's no longer expected this year, noting the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is "doing really well" and that Apple doesn't need to bring mini-LED to the smaller form factor.

If the 11-inch iPad Pro were to gain a mini-LED display, it would bring both iPad Pro sizes to more parity, potentially decreasing the appeal of the significantly larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Both iPad sizes share the same M1 Apple silicon chip, camera, and design, with the display technology and battery capacities being the only differences. Apple is planning to update the iPad Pro sometime this year, and rumors are slightly muddled on what exactly to expect.

Rumors indicate the iPad Pro will support reverse wireless charging for devices such as the iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods, but subsequent reports have shed light on issues Apple is facing with developing such a feature.

Apple initially wanted to develop a glass back on the iPad Pro, but it may instead opt for a large glass Apple logo instead for the wireless charging. Regarding performance, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said the new iPad Pros running iPadOS will likely feature the M2 Apple silicon chip, which is even more powerful than the current M1 chip in the iPad Pro and the new fifth-generation iPad Air.

Article Link: 11-Inch iPad Pro No Longer Expected to Gain Mini-LED Display in 2022

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
its kindof fascinating where they can go with this now.

I know theres increasingly small changes to all such devices...

But what can the difference possibly be from last years pro. The M1 is already way overpowered for the software on the iPad, and there isnt exactly a realistic replacement processor now that they have jumped to M from A series...

Given theres no way there will be an M1 Pro in there - surely this years refresh will still have the M1? How exciting can that refresh be?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
its kindof fascinating where they can go with this now.

I know theres increasingly small changes to all such devices...

But what can the difference possibly be from last years pro. The M1 is already way overpowered for the software on the iPad, and there isnt exactly a realistic replacement processor now that they have jumped to M from A series...

Given theres no way there will be an M1 Pro in there - surely this years refresh will still have the M1? How exciting can that refresh be?
Nah, the next iPad Pro will have an M2 chip, just like the next Mac mini and MacBook (Air). They will probably be released towards the end of the year, November is my bet, two years after the presentation of the first M1 chip. A two year cycle makes sense.

It would have been cool to have an OLED display for the first time in the iPad tho.

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
As if there is going to be another iPad Pro this year, do these 'analysts' even pay any attention to Apple's release history?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
So is this an indication that the iPad Air could increase to 11” and the iPad Pro 11” will get killed possibly??? That will make a huge price gap between the Air and Pro line up though.

But to be fair to Apple they actually said (when asked why the 11” didn’t get miniLED by Brian Tong), that they feel like their 11” Pro users like the portability of the device and they didn’t want to increase the weight/thickness of it, so it does sort of make sense.

On top of that I presume they want to try and steer people towards the larger size going forward as it’s likely that provides a higher mark up than the 11”.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I think he's wrong, he has based his decision purely on a marketing aspect, whilst seemingly ignoring the fact one is larger then the other. People don't buy the bigger iPad solely because it has Mini LED, they buy it mainly because it's a bigger iPad..
I think Apple will bring Mini LED to the 11" Pro to further distinguish the Pro range from the other models, and it won't impact the 12.9" sales in the slightest.

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Nah, the next iPad Pro will have an M2 chip, just like the next Mac mini and MacBook (Air). They will probably be released towards the end of the year, November is my bet, two years after the presentation of the first M1 chip. A two year cycle makes sense.

It would have been cool to have an OLED display for the first time in the iPad tho.
for sure.... the next iPad pro will have an M2.

But so soon?

I wonder when the M2 will make its debut.

OK they have truly exhausted the M1 line now with a Pro, Max, and now Ultra.... (and admitted as such).

But for how long will the M1 family be left with Ultra being king of the pile until the M2 comes along.

Im not expecting the M2 to be significantly more powerful than the M1 and it will probably still be less powerful than the M1 pro etc.

Reactions: Tagbert

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I wonder when the M2 will make its debut.

Im not expecting the M2 to be significantly more powerful than the M1 and it will probably still be less powerful than the M1 pro etc.
Of course it will be less powerful than M1 Pro etcetera, it’s a different category. M series have 4 efficient cores, 4 performance cores, and a smaller GPU than M Pro chips. They have different power consumption, different heat dissipation needs, etc.

So yeah, the M2 will be, two years later, the update for the M1 powered devices, not the M1 Pro. Those will probably be refreshed in 2023 by the M2 Pro and so on

Reactions: Tagbert

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
iPad Pro 15” is coming and the 11” one is going to be discontinued
I do 100% think the Air will become the new 11” with the 11” pro being discontinued, as for a 15” iPad… I don’t know.. possibly in a few years but not anytime soon I don’t think.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
So is this an indication that the iPad Air could increase to 11” and the iPad Pro 11” will get killed possibly??? That will make a huge price gap between the Air and Pro line up though.

But to be fair to Apple they actually said (when asked why the 11” didn’t get miniLED by Brian Tong), that they feel like their 11” Pro users like the portability of the device and they didn’t want to increase the weight/thickness of it, so it does sort of make sense.

On top of that I presume they want to try and steer people towards the larger size going forward as it’s likely that provides a higher mark up than the 11”.
Totally agree.

Only Apple knows how many 11 inch IPPs they are selling but I’m betting that the new M1 Air is being positioned to be the replacement for the 11 inch IPP.

It’s hard to see what significant ‘must have’ differences the 11 inch IPP has compared to the Air.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Totally agree.

Only Apple knows how many 11 inch IPPs they are selling but I’m betting that the new M1 Air is being positioned to be the replacement for the 11 inch IPP.

It’s hard to see what significant ‘must have’ differences the 11 inch IPP has compared to the Air.

Yeah at this stage, the Pro only has 0.1 inch larger display with 120hz, better speakers, better rear camera, Face ID (which is subjective) and better base storage, I think the Air 7 will probably add some of those features and Apple will poise it to replace the 11” iPP.

It does make sense to do that at this stage, there is really no need for the 11” Pro to exist while the iPad Air is available IMO… and I can bet the Air sells far more units per quarter than the 11” Pro.

But saying that if iPadOS 16 adds some major features unique to their Pro line up then that would change things.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Yeah at this stage, the Pro only has 0.1 inch larger display with 120hz, better speakers, better rear camera, Face ID (which is subjective) and better base storage, I think the Air 7 will probably add some of those features and Apple will poise it to replace the 11” iPP.

It does make sense to do that at this stage, there is really no need for the 11” Pro to exist while the iPad Air is available IMO… and I can bet the Air sells far more units per quarter than the 11” Pro.
just because its the same size and looks superficially the same does not make it the same.

The differences you quote definitely make it a 'pro' and justifies the price tag. Pro users would not necessarily want the huge model either so for the time being its going nowhere in my opinion.

That said of course the air is now a fantastic mid range tablet and you can choose if the pro features are important to you which they wont be for many but will be for some.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
My iPad Pro 10.5 (2017) is still working perfectly, and does everything I need it to do.
The A10X is fine.
And the display with ProMotion is terrific.

If it died on me, I'd probably avoid the iPad Air, as I'd worry about noticing the non-ProMotion display, having got so used to it. So I'd be pushed into the 11inch iPad Pro I guess.

Reactions: wib

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Don't forget new chips means longer support cycles, latest instruction sets and updates to image processing/machine learning sections of the chip. It's not all about CPU speed and efficiency.

Reactions: whatta

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
What the hell is going on with Apple and these rumors lately? Studio Display ending up not having mini-LED or ProMotion? MacBook Air redesign in 2022 but still with M1? No 27” iMac with Apple Silicon? Now, no 11” iPad with mini-LED?

Maybe it won’t be getting mini-LED but OLED instead, since there have been rumors of OLED iPad around iPad Air/iPad Air-sized iPad? Anyways, it’s a big shame for 11” iPad fans. The increased contrast and darker blacks (besides blooming) is a massive improvement over the current LCD displays on all iPads except the 12.9”.

Reactions: upandown and whatta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.