Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
yes true but Mini LED is better than LCD so maybe mini LED for new iPhones to replace the traditional LCD screens like on the SE 2020 and the XR/11 body
Highly doubtful that they’ll update the XR/11 at this point - it’s whole value proposition now is that all the design / tooling is paid for and they just have to turn the big knob on the factory to make more, to sell as “last years phone” at a reduced price - changing any parts makes it expensive again.

Similarly, the SE 2020 is likely to remain as-is until the release of the, what... SE 2024?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
If it was bigger and could operate as a secondary device to another (smaller) iPhone, sure, but those are the problems for me.

I can’t speak for the OP, but I like the smallest possible phone when I’m out and the biggest possible handheld device that can double as my phone when I’m home (via continuity). Right now I have an iPad mini but it’s too wide to hold like a phone comfortably (by about an inch) and too wide and tall to put in my lounge pants pockets comfortably so I have to carry it by hand around the house. Awhile back I tried using an iPhone plus as my large device at home, but besides being a bit smaller than I wanted it to be (it could have been an inch wider and still comfortable to grasp), the bigger issue was that it wasn’t designed to be a secondary device like the iPad. I couldn’t make outgoing calls/texts, and most other continuity features didn’t work, so I’d end up carrying both my small and big phone around the house. That got old quick. Also I missed landscape orientation lock and slide over.
(Oh and switching out the SIM card is not really a solution for multiple reasons, the most pertinent one being that my carrier doesn’t use them.)

Call it an iPad mini mini or an iPod touch max max, but unfortunately no such Apple device exists to fill my (and maybe OP’s) little niche use, and probably won’t in any foreseeable future. ☹️
OP here. I read a few hundred pages a day, mostly while walking. Existing iPads get to heavy to hold up all day and kindles are to limited in document format and way to slow to read anything fast.

I have a 12 mini, iPad mini, an iPad Pro 10.5, and an iPad Pro 12.9. The iPad iOS is by far the best OS as I am able to manage all my documents in DEVONthink and use the pencil to take notes right in what I’m reading. Can’t do that with an iPhone or a kindle. I prefer my 12 mini for things like movies and texting as it’s almost light enough that I can hold it up for a few hours without getting tired. With exception of the 12.9 iPad none of them can approach a full size document with frequent zoom and scroll. Reading PDFs on anything but the 12.9 is awful.

The issue comes down to battery size. A more efficient iPad that trades a smaller battery for less performance gains would be ideal. Those of us who don’t care about having Final Cut Pro on our iPad would see far more value from a device that sheds the weight.

I feel like Apple had a plan for the iPad. It was going to be a truly mobile productivity machine; in the past 5 years or so it’s seen amazing improvements without actually addressing the fatal flaw in its design. As a reading machine it must be compared to the thinner and lighter kindle and neither are a true solution for people who get paid to read. A group that is far larger than I think most people realize.

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
A portable device named iMac? I’m not holding my breath.
I mean, it’s been done... 2312B127-B0A2-449B-90A4-C32CFAE44DD3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: AnthonyHarris

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
It's just a guess, but I don't think there is a large enough user base of 11 inch IPP users that would give Apple any pause about eliminating the offering now that the new iPad Air offers nearly all of the same features at a significant discount.
There isn't much we can do if they stop making the 11 inch iPad Pro, but I'll have no issue sticking with the one I have. I sold my 64GB 2018 model and bought a 1TB 2020 model so unless I throw it down the stairs or something, it'll be fine for a long while.

Regarding phones... I've been really annoyed that Apple denied us a smaller iPhone 10 style phone for so long, but sucked it up and upgraded to the XS. I had the 6S at the time, and its about the same size as that but more screen* real estate. It's still a bit big even for my long old fingers, but like your 7 plus, it keeps on ticking so I don't feel the need to upgrade it. I think it is now two and still lasts all day between use with my iPad and MacBook.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Okay, now I’m curious - how do you not constantly run into things? Do you wear a helmet?
I had a game boy as a kid. ?

I have never had an issue reading and walking. My eyesight isn’t as good as it once was, but I can still see things around me. I typically walk outside but when inside I don’t have kids which might leave obstacles.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
It will be interesting to see how the M1 line is incorporated into future products. I doubt we'll see an M1 iPad near term for several reasons:

1. Apple will probably focus on getting the M1 i to the Mac lineup and transitioning to it
2. The M1 likely is more expensive than an A chip so putting it into an Ipad would raise its costs
3. An M1 based iPad Pro and A chip based other model iPads would either result in the furtehr dividing what software will run on what devices or developers not adding features or developing for the M1 unless it is a huge success

Will tehy go to M chip iPads? My guess is yes at some point but I do not think that is a near term action. Once the M chip is more prevalent is more likely when it will happen, IMHO.
I’m pretty sure the M1 is just a new name for the AX. Let’s remember that the developer Mac Mini’s were all A12z’s

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
This will be the ultimate photo editing machine. There are so many amazing iOS editing apps available now. With a beautiful, big Mini LED display, super fast processor, and Apple Pencil, and great portability, I doubt I'll use my computer for editing much at all after getting this.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The developer Mac Mini’s used the A12z’s, I’m pretty sure the M is just branding.

It is not. The M chips have additional capabilities like PCI and Thunderbolt support. They are related to A chips but not identical.

Reactions: Homme

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
OP here. I read a few hundred pages a day, mostly while walking. Existing iPads get to heavy to hold up all day and kindles are to limited in document format and way to slow to read anything fast.

I have a 12 mini, iPad mini, an iPad Pro 10.5, and an iPad Pro 12.9. The iPad iOS is by far the best OS as I am able to manage all my documents in DEVONthink and use the pencil to take notes right in what I’m reading. Can’t do that with an iPhone or a kindle. I prefer my 12 mini for things like movies and texting as it’s almost light enough that I can hold it up for a few hours without getting tired. With exception of the 12.9 iPad none of them can approach a full size document with frequent zoom and scroll. Reading PDFs on anything but the 12.9 is awful.

The issue comes down to battery size. A more efficient iPad that trades a smaller battery for less performance gains would be ideal. Those of us who don’t care about having Final Cut Pro on our iPad would see far more value from a device that sheds the weight.

I feel like Apple had a plan for the iPad. It was going to be a truly mobile productivity machine; in the past 5 years or so it’s seen amazing improvements without actually addressing the fatal flaw in its design. As a reading machine it must be compared to the thinner and lighter kindle and neither are a true solution for people who get paid to read. A group that is far larger than I think most people realize.
Oh interesting. For me, reduced weight would be welcome but not as imperative as reduced size, but for you it’s all about weight. What is your ideal size? Just bigger the better? What is your minimum size? I assume any iPhone is too small? If the iPad mini is a permissible size but heavier than you’d like, have you tried using a pop socket? I have two on my iPad mini and it’s really the thing that makes the mini usable for me. It allows the hand to be relaxed while holding it, so I’m able to hold it one-handed for very long periods. Also which iPad mini do you have? If it’s the 3, it’s noticeably heavier than the 4 or 5.

Last edited:

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
This is the iPad I will be getting once its released, will trade in my 2018 ipad pro 11 inch to get it..been hearing different stories about how much ram it will have, some say 8 some say 6

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Samsung has been making AMOLED tablets for like 4 years. what's there to lose now at this point if apple waits on OLED. Even when it's released it will still be inferior to what Samsung offers. that's how apple innovates these days. a generation behind and about 4 years too late.

Last edited:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Mini LED is a good way to avoid the bad publicity of having all their demo unit iPads showing images burned into them. Not a good look. The thing I thing of when I think iPad Pro is at $999 for the big one the specs it has are so close to a MacBook I wish they would just put MacOS on these things. You'll end up spending a bit more to get laptop functionality or desktop functionality with the peripherals you would need but I would be happy to do so because you don't need an iPad, Laptop, and desktop. It will be redundant for many tasks. I would be much happier with an iPad as my computer I take with me everywhere and an iMac or MacBook Pro that I sit in front of when I want to do some serious work.
Totally agree with you, but doubt it will happen. If they put macOS on iPads, then iPad users would be able to install software from sources other than the Apple store, and in case you haven't worked out, Apple doesn't like that idea, because the app store is too profitable. I bet they wish they could undo that ability on macOS, but that cat is long out of the bag, and they'd lose too many customers.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I’m pretty sure the M1 is just a new name for the AX. Let’s remember that the developer Mac Mini’s were all A12z’s
Possibly, but my guess is A12Z's were used to allow developers early access while M1 production ramped up; given both used ARM architecture Apple could get Big Sur working on the A series relatively easily and run fast enough for development as a stop gap to help ensure software was avaiable at the launch.

Looking at the specs for both the M1 appears to be a different design than just a rebranded A chip. That doesn't mean there won't be some convergence in the future. A lot depends on Apple's vision fo rteh future of computing and for iPadOS and Mac OS.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I can’t see Apple only refreshing the 12.9.... I think we may see the following come march:

iPad Pro 11 (A14X, 5G)
Starting $799

iPad Pro 12.9 (A14X, 5G)
Starting $999

iPad Pro Max 12.9 (A14X, 5G, miniLED)
Starting $1199

Which will make far more sense IMO...

Reactions: rishiomedia

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I hope that the next generation iPad Pro has higher screen resolution! Every time I go to YouTube and set a video for 1080p it defaults to 720p. I use a Galaxy tablet and it stays at 1080p Auto! Never go down unless the content is of lower resolution!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

Best argument for a folding IOS or iPadOS device, another Apple defined "It’s a magical piece of glass"

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I can’t see Apple only refreshing the 12.9.... I think we may see the following come march:

iPad Pro 11 (A14X, 5G)
Starting $799

iPad Pro 12.9 (A14X, 5G)
Starting $999

iPad Pro Max 12.9 (A14X, 5G, miniLED)
Starting $1199

Which will make far more sense IMO...

I think this is the correct thinking. They’ll add a variant on top of the $999 version with the miniLED technology. Perhaps they ship it with a SOC marketed as A14Z, which has additional GPU cores and perhaps additional memory

Reactions: James Godfrey

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yes the iPad forum has kept itself busy with speculation based on the rumor that the 12.9 may get an upgrade but the 11 may not. Head there for more guesswork.
I'm not looking for more guesswork. I can do plenty of that on my own. I'm looking for any substantial rumor-mill tidbits that point to either a future 11" Pro model, continuation of sale of the current 11" Pro or discontinuation of the product entirely.

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
Depends on if the economy of scale makes it less worthwhile to develop an A14X which is largely the same as the M1, or indeed if the iPad Pro is to gain more Mac-like features which will leverage the extra features of the M1 (Thunderbolt, RAM options). Particularly if the Pro line is reduced down to just the 12.9" as these rumours keep insinuating. I'd call it maybe 60:40 in favour of A14X.

Really no, even a regular LCD has some characteristics that are better than OLED (full RGB sub pixels; no requirement for PWM dimming; on average better off angle viewing and better colour accuracy). OLED is only really better for black levels and HDR content (high contrast). mini LED is meant to close the gap, giving you all the benefits of LCD while improving on black levels and contrast. I'd say that makes it equal to or better than OLED, while micro LED is the holy grail of screen tech, but still a long way off.

Samsung OLED off angle viewing is definitely way better than Apple iPad Pro LCD.

The current iPad Pro's white shift like crazy at the slightest off angle.

If you're talking about LG from the Pixel line a couple years ago which are the worst possible example of OLED then you have a small point.

Subpixel arrangement hasn't been an issue in several years.
Maybe time for some updated info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.