Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I have no idea what happened! I left if off the charger just before going to bed around 1am, wake up at 7:15am and thought the phone was just off, it was... but with 0% battery.

This has never happened with any iPhone I've owned. On 14.4, no apps appeared to be running in the background while this drain happened. Phone was fine all day yesterday.

jr3gg1x.jpg

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I had terrible battery drain when I first got my phone and I turned off air drop and also turned off "automatically Airplay to TV's" and that instantly helped fix my standby battery drain.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had terrible battery drain when I first got my phone and I turned off air drop and also turned off "automatically Airplay to TV's" and that instantly helped fix my standby battery drain.
Odd, I never has issues with AirDrop, Airplay-TV. I left it off the charger 3 nights ago, phone drained to 88% overnight. I noticed my Vivint app (alarm system) was constantly running in the background 24-7. I removed that. Left the phone off the charger Sat night into Sun. and saw it was 96% when I woke up. That's fine I suppose. But this 100% drain just has me baffled! I am hoping this was some kind of one time fluke...beats me!

Only time I experienced a similar mess (80%-0% in 5-10 seconds) was with a terrible bad faulty 3rd Party replacement battery on my 6 Plus.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Again, sitting here thinking (probably too much??!) I had my phone again off the charger, but it was resting on top of my wallet all night. I have a few CC's with that wifi-contactless, RFID chips in it....BUT ALSO a thin CC sized TILE bluetooth finder that is on, I picked that up a few weeks ago.

Any previous stories that having a phone literally on top of these things can drain batteries like this.

I know it may sound a bit off the rails, :rolleyes:o_O - only thing that is popping in my head right now.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Do you have any COVID19 contact tracing apps installed or exposure notifications enabled? Anyone in your household also have them installed or enabled?

Finding my iPhone 11 is in close enough proximity to my wife's phone throughout the day to trigger exposure notification handshakes, even though most of the day we are working in separate spaces from home. There must have been a recent update that triggered this increased activity - either through my state app or iOS. Battery used to last all day plus few hours. Finding I need to charge mid-day if I want to avoid the 20% warning trigger at night. Battery health says 94% maximum capacity and use optimized charging.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Do you have any COVID19 contact tracing apps installed or exposure notifications enabled? Anyone in your household also have them installed or enabled?

Finding my iPhone 11 is in close enough proximity to my wife's phone throughout the day to trigger exposure notification handshakes, even though most of the day we are working in separate spaces from home. There must have been a recent update that triggered this increased activity - either through my state app or iOS. Battery used to last all day plus few hours. Finding I need to charge mid-day if I want to avoid the 20% warning trigger at night. Battery health says 94% maximum capacity and use optimized charging.
No, never installed the COVID tracking apps, never turned that feature on. No one here except me.

From LAST Tues. to Sat, my battery drain was pretty erratic. Left the phone off charger overnight, I'd have 5% drain, 3%...or NO drain. Anyway, after looking at this crazy 100% drain it LOOKED like I may have triggered my camera by accident - although it never show that app in use (odd!!)

Went to Apple Store yesterday, Genius bar and the associate confirmed my Camera AUDIO was on, but the app was never on, this looks like it caused the 100% drain. So that's a bit freakish and new. It was blamed on a "possible software glitch" - One heck of a glitch!

Other than that, battery appears to be ok. Advice was to totally wipe out the phone and start over. Thats exactly what I did last night - no "restore from backup" since I have no clue what possible corrupt file may be in the backup.

See what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.