Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is better in your mind - 13 Air i7 2.2Ghz 2015 vs 13 Pro 2016 i5 2.0 Ghz

• Total voters

elyaaaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
Hi,
Not sure which one to get?
Similar prices....

The size and weight are practically identical.
What would you say?

or if you have any other recommendations... around the 1400$ for best lightweight option :)

Thanks !

MacMau5

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
2250155654a852e686b74dcf7c395c27.png

Read post 9 in that thread. It says that the new gen 2016 is better than the older gen 2015

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i think the idea of this is to ask US, not other reviews..

I'd go for the extra 2.2 Ghz.....

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Hi,
Not sure which one to get?
Similar prices....

The size and weight are practically identical.
What would you say?

or if you have any other recommendations... around the 1400$ for best lightweight option :)

Thanks !
The choice depends on what you value more, ports, connectivity & long battery life vs pretty display and questionable battery life.
I'd go for the maxed out i7 Air on the refurb store to save money, but if you have little backward compatibility baggage, then go for the Pro and buy your new peripherals with USB-C only.

Reactions: akash.nu

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
What would you say?

Go into a store and compare the keyboard and trackpad on the Air and MBP - also see what *you* think about the display on the Air.

Lots of people don't like the new keyboard - I'm a bit more open-minded about that, but I worry that the trackpad is a victim of "bigger must be better" reasoning. However, these things are subjective and you're the one that's going to be using it.

No point in a slightly higher GeekBench score if the keyboard makes you want to chew your own fingers off...

Also, work out what peripherals you need to plug into and think about how the MBP's two USB-C/TB3 ports (and no separate charging socket) are going to work out for you and tot up what your docks'n'dongles bill is going to be.

The other possibility is the 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 13" which isn't that much bigger and heavier than the Air (it's actually got a smaller 'footprint'), has a far better display and more powerful processor than the Air, with far better connectivity than the 2016 non-TB (unless you want to connect high-end 40Gbps TB3 or 10Gbps USB3.1Gen2 peripherals or fancy that 5k TB3 display).

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I've tried out the trackpad issue while testing the Fondlebar Pro, all you need to do is turn off tap to click (one touch click) in the trackpad system preference to make sure the trackpad doesn't click while typing.

The question is how long before the 2017 Fondlebar Pro arrives in shops after the WWDC announcement ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.