Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
because of how Apple priced the SSD upgrades and RAM upgrades.

last 6 months the RAM and SSD priced dropped a lot. you can pick up Samsung 830 256GB SSD for $170 - apple kinda needs to adjust their upgrade pricing.
I didn't know prices dropped so much.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
mostly next year once 4th Gen Intel CPUs are released.

now they are trying to hard to sell non upgradeable MBA(s)

my major worry they might eventually drop the entire non retina - no upgradable - MBPs!

Oh well, hopefully by that time, the parts will be so cheap that it wouldn't really matter. With all of the consumers demanding thinner products, it's eventually going to be all soldered together.

How about making the MacBook Pro line the MacBook line then making a MacBook Pro line that's actually upgradeable and not focused on thinness? Or fuse Air and Pro then make a new Pro line that's actually pro. I think it's more likely that they'll fuse Air and Pro as the new tech comes out.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
This is going to be a funny little computer. They can't upgrade the specs too much or it's going to be seriously short of battery life. So they're going to have to underspec it relative to the 15' rMBP. And with that, it will not on paper look much better than the air.

So I think when look at this on paper the 15' rMBP is going to look like a much better deal, but when you pick up a 13' rMBP, it's going to feel more amazing. So no steak, lots of sizzle.

In short, I predict an awful computer, but one has huge appeal.

{Heck I own a rMBP, love it, but still waiting to see this thing).

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
I'll start with a PS. Can someone tell me what resolution would that 13" Retina need to have to be... well, "Retina"?
13" MBP Retina seems a bit weird of a decision from Apple's side. In my opinion they should just give the regular 13 MBP higher res. display than the one it has now - although I don't complain. But that would be appreciated nonetheless. Amking it Retina with a dedicated GPU seems pointless, stuffing dedicated GPU inside will make it even more expensive - beyond the point of reasonability in terms of price.
My concern is that 13" Retina MBP would basically look like Air, while being more expensive - it seems to me that consumers will choose Air, while pros will get Retina, but the 15" model. Thus I wonder is it sensible to make 13" Retina - for me it makes either the 13" Air or the 13" MBP Retina redundant in the laptop line up.
Agree/disagree?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Is it too much to ask for new MacPro? The studio I work for just order 5 new units. The pro market is still there and Apple is still making money off of us with old technology.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If they don't bring back the 17" MBP by next summer, I'm jumping back to Windows. That's about as long as I can keep using my June 2009 MBP17. I like Apple, but the main basis of my brand loyalty was FCP. Now that I've switched to Adobe CS6, I'll buy from whichever manufacturer can give me the most powerful 17" laptop, preferably with a retina screen.

Jump now. It's never coming back because it didn't sell.

----------

mostly next year once 4th Gen Intel CPUs are released.

now they are trying to hard to sell non upgradeable MBA(s)

my major worry they might eventually drop the entire non retina - no upgradable - MBPs!

It's not a might, and it's not eventually. It's by summer 2014 at the latest.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Anybody expecting anything less is fooling themselves.

$2299 for a 15" laptop?

madness! :p

Now price out the regular 15" MBP with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB solid state drive...notice it costs $100 more?

----------

I'd rather have all those extras EXCEPT for the 'retina' display. Its not like I can make out individual pixels anyway, but I *will* notice a performance increase everywhere else.

And that would actually cost more without the retina. Let's not forget smaller and lighter here too - the MBPr is all around better.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
The price = fail(if it's that high), not the machine itself, $1799-1899 for a 13" is just too much, but that's just my opinion.

I agree its a lot of coin but that's why they have the classic MacBooks for people that either don't need the retina screen and such or just simply can't afford it. If they didn't have the classic MacBooks I think the prices would go down a bit from your estimates.

cosmowilly

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
LA
I'm having a hard time deciding what I want.

The new 15 Retina are over priced can't sawp out the RAM nor DRIVE so if one part goes down you pretty much need a new computer or motherboard.

I love the unibody design I feel like the Ivy version was released way too late for me to make the jump. knowing how much better haswell internal GPU will be over this years crappy intel 4000 i'm stuck in a bind. DaVinci Resolve wont even work so it's pretty much useless to me.

i mainly do Digital Imagining Technitian for high-end commercials and feature films.

Going PC would be my preference but the price drop of FCPX and Motion has opened the gates of producers demanding ProRes which can only be made on a Mac.

I hate people who cut on FCPX but thats just the world I live in.

Mac Pro seems like my best option but who knows when they'll drop, Intel just announced the E series which will be going in the 2013 Mac Pro.

Back to the 13 Retina why pay so much more when you have the same crippled GPU as the MBA? The price will go down on all the retinas in a year or two and 4K support will be the new thing.

It's just hard when in a bad economy trying to serve to the FCPX crowd who have expectations for ProRes yet they don't want to pay for computer kit rental and the prices of these crappy machines go up and become more useless.

Now with thunderbolt i have to pay an extra $1500 in accessories to do the same thing a 17'' MBP could have done stock.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I dont understand why ipad got retina and is still the same price? So why isnt the entire macbook pro line retina now at the same price?

Because the rMBP has some additional improvements, the chief one being a switch to a solid state disk. That's really where the extra cost goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.