Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the 13" Macbook Pro a real Pro?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Still a healthy circa 35% think that it's not a 'pro' machine. Surprised it's so high.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
like others have said: it's pro if you can use it professionally. And many pro photographers would be happy using a 13" MBP when travelling or in the field -- and with an external monitor for anything color critical. Same goes for the 15". If we're talking pure power, could it be more powerful? Yes, of course. But that doesn't necessarily make it less 'pro'. What makes all laptops less than pro is the fact that their displays are TN technology and 6 bit -- but that applies to the 15 and 17 MBPs as well.

Apple should never have switched the name to macbook pro when it had the perfect name before: POWERBOOK!

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
They would have their dedicated desktops, but the point of having a Pro-fessional laptop is so you can do that same work on the go, which is very important to many people and kind of the entire argument here.

Compared to Apple's previous offerings, the 13 inch is not a machine to do professional work on, and then the base 15 inch model is in a similar place with the lack of the dedicated video card. There are professional's out there who don't need a lot of computing power, but when the general populous assiociates Mac's with "graphics" (used broadly of course, I hear that about every day), then by all means the Pro line should be able to, I don't know, actually handle professional graphic design to the point a laptop can.

The 13 inch can't display millions of colors and is probably worse for most than the lack of the dedicated GPU.

So you're saying that just because the 15" has a more powerful graphics card it's suddenly so much better for "professional" work? Unless you do 3D rendering then it doesn't matter. Adobe's software barely uses the GPU for anything so for raster/vector graphics, video editing etc it doesn't make much of a difference since those are more CPU and RAM intensive. The displays on the 15 and 17 inch models are also 6-bit TN panels so no difference there either.

This thread is completely ridiculous. I use my 13" at work and it runs everything great. Thus it's all "pro" for me. From a marketing point of view it made perfect sense for Apple to rebrand it as a Macbook Pro - it looks the same as the 15/17 inch models and for most things it will even perform very much the same.

handy388

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I just want to chime in to this stupid thread

Finally can't stop this isnobbness anymore.

I am a physician, and I consider myself to be a professional.

I've also always been a windows user until recently.

The reason I consider the 13inch Pro to be a professional machine is because it's light weight, well built, and its battery life allow me to be mobile and travel around the ward.

I make plenty of money, but I don't want to lug a 17 inch around.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

The reason I consider the 13inch Pro to be a professional machine is because it's light weight, well built, and its battery life allow me to be mobile and travel around the ward.

If you ask Shambo, the only reason you bought the 13" is because you could not afford the 15". his philosophy is that the whole world envies the 15" and only buys a 13" because of financial constraints. therefore they settle for a 13"

take a guess what size macbook pro he has...

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The reason the 13" is not a pro is b/c the battery life is worse (smaller battery) and at least one of the 5 screens being supplied is "only" 200 nits. As opposed to 300 nits for the 15 pros all around. It is probably fine for most uses except bright rooms and most importantly, watching video. You'll wish you had 300 nits when watching movies, esp with a glare screen.

You do get what you pay for. I knew it had to be true that the 13" were cheaper for some legitimate reasons.

handy388

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
If you want to go by silly hardware stats, there is a freaking netbook with OLED screen, does it make it pro?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If you want to go by silly hardware stats, there is a freaking netbook with OLED screen, does it make it pro?

I once used a toaster I got from the dollar store and used it to cook a couple of peices of toast at the office, does that make it pro? How about this mug on my desk?

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
honestly speaking, new macbook pro 13-inch isn't really pro level. it is just changed brand, added damn card slot. everything is the same like macbook unibody. it doesn't even have stereo speaker. it's a sort of ****** version of macbook pro which Apple tried to cut the cost so that people can buy it more.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA

well, you shouldn't suppose to say 'I make plenty of money' here on forum. there are lots of people who make way more money than you. I don't know what's a standard when you say 'I make plenty of money'? for some people, 6 figure is not enough (even they say that they don't make a lot of money). so do you make millions? if you are not, be quiet.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
...I have read many complaints on here that the 17'' is ugly and too big.

...Which are probably from people who have never seen one in person and/or are jealous of those who can afford one. :rolleyes:

Too big my freakin' @$$!!! Do people not realize how much screen real estate you get with the 1920 x 1200 resolution of the 17"?????!!!!!! :eek: That's more room for all your windows and workspaces and toolboxes and canvases and what have you. I'm getting rid of my 15" soon and picking up a 17"...silly me bought the 15" without thinking about the resolution.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
well, you shouldn't suppose to say 'I make plenty of money' here on forum. there are lots of people who make way more money than you. I don't know what's a standard when you say 'I make plenty of money'? for some people, 6 figure is not enough (even they say that they don't make a lot of money). so do you make millions? if you are not, be quiet.

why cant he say he makes plenty of money? I took the comment to mean he makes plenty of money to be able to afford any computer he wanted, however, CHOSE the 13" because it suited his "professional" needs.

handy388

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009

this is precisely the kind of iSnobness that really gets to me. I guess it comes with the whole "premium" brand image.

No, I don't make millions, and I enjoy what I do, even if I don't make millions (yet). You don't get rich by being a physician, but you do get enough to afford any computer that you want.

Now, this whole "pro" business, it's just a simply brand name designation. Apple got to do whatever they want.

I just want to say their hardware is NEVER top of the line. I expect a dual GTX280 and SSD raid in their top of the line "pro" model laptop, of course they don't have that. Arguing about whether something is pro or not based on hardware is extremely silly.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
As far as I know, the real MBPs have a dedicated graphics card. The 13" doesn't.
They also come with sufficient screen real estate for doing Professional work. The 13" doesn't.
They are higher spec'ed than the MBs of the same year ++ on each and every part of the hardware. The 13" isn't (ref. SATA stability issues).

But would I call the 13" a MacBook Pro? Oh yes, that's for sure - and why? Because that makes them the lousiest MBPs Apple ever made, whilst I'm the proud owner of a fine specimen of the best MB model there is.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
The 9400m is not enough for some high end graphics programs, yes. It is unfortunate that the macbook pro can not handle final cut pro (i think, or at least I am told it cant handle the software bundled with pro). However to demand higher specs on a model this small and compact would be insane. It is pro, pro for what it is a crossover between an ultra-portable and mainstream 15". But I really have to say about the bezel argument: it is weak. How can something like that effect its pro status?

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
As far as I know, the real MBPs have a dedicated graphics card. The 13" doesn't.
They also come with sufficient screen real estate for doing Professional work. The 13" doesn't.
They are higher spec'ed than the MBs of the same year ++ on each and every part of the hardware. The 13" isn't (ref. SATA stability issues).

But would I call the 13" a MacBook Pro? Oh yes, that's for sure - and why? Because that makes them the lousiest MBPs Apple ever made, whilst I'm the proud owner of a fine specimen of the best MB model there is.

and again we are back to "Pros" only deal with Graphics work...ridiculous.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
and again we are back to "Pros" only deal with Graphics work...ridiculous.

http://www.apple.com/pro/

Whether you like it or not, Apple associates themselves with the creative pro market. It's clear by the link above that Apple's definition of "Pro" deals with their creative Applications. It's clear by the training literature that they offer, and their own software Applications. The fact that the low end Macbook "Pro" cannot deal with Apple's own high end Pro applications in a reliable manner is why everyone is so confused that Apple is diluting the brand and peddiling a product as "pro" that is unable to do what Apple defines as "pro" work.

MacBookFan19

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Either they're all MacBook Pros or they're not. IMHO, I think people who buy macs don't buy them primarily for performance. I certainly didn't. I bought my mac for its design and refinement. There are plenty of PC laptops more worthy of the 'pro' label than Apple's own MBPs. And since the 13" is essentially the 15"/17" without the dedicated graphics, its performance is quite close to the others anyway. Besides, even the lowest performing mac performs better than the best PowerBook from a few years ago. I say Apple should just drop the 'pro' branding and call them all MacBooks. All apple products should be inherently designed and tuned for creative professionals.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

Whether you like it or not, Apple associates themselves with the creative pro market. It's clear by the link above that Apple's definition of "Pro" deals with their creative Applications. It's clear by the training literature that they offer, and their own software Applications. The fact that the low end Macbook "Pro" cannot deal with Apple's own high end Pro applications in a reliable manner is why everyone is so confused that Apple is diluting the brand and peddiling a product as "pro" that is unable to do what Apple defines as "pro" work.

and i insist that if apple had never put the pro name into any of their machines that this would not be an issue.

if they had named the line macbook super would anyone be questioning the superness of it. no... i believe that apple has realized that there are different levels of pros and that not every pro NEEDS a discrete GPU. in fact there are many pros that NEED portability in a way that sacrificing a GPU is fine.

apple has made a line of computers, in no way are they defining the computers ability to be used in a specific compacity by the name. the name differentiates the distinct lines.

you have a macbook thats plastic. they realized to have two very different machines that had only size in common and have it in the same product line was not only silly but confusing to the consumer. (which by the way is Apples bread and butter now) the surge in their sales have not come from an onslought of the new "Pros" to the field. they have grown exponentially because of the average consumer.

they are merely saying this: we have a macbook if you want to just do general stuff. plastic, durable.

then we have this line we call pro. they all look alike and have similar features. they progressively get more powerful as the model gets higher.

however, this is our low end model of our pro series for the person who needs light editing and not too intensive processing. and depending on the type you do you can choose a more powerful machine to your liking.

this whole concept could have been done with the line being called jupiter. and it would not have made any of the machines more or less powerful.

the sooner you see that apple is using the word pro to bolster their sales the better off. if you can not see that, then you must be part of that percentage of the population that is affected by strategic psycological marketing.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I agree with the others that say any of the macbook pros arent really pro

Pocket lint

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
In my trousers

It's even worse when you consider "connectivity" of that "pro" market they - on the surface - cater to.

Of course, now they have reintroduced firewire (but with an agere-chipset, sigh ..) into the 13 incher.

Or even the lack of swappable batteries, glossy screens and so on.

No, Apple doesn't have any portable computer for the creative pros. The 17" I consider "luggable", not portable.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
12" PowerBook

You know, there was a 12'' PowerBook. It nearly got up to the speed of the best 17'' of the time.

I feel I must correct you sir, for there is a 12" PowerBook. And it sir, has a discrete graphics card with its own memory!

I just carried out an erase & install on a 1GHz 12" PB & a 1.5GHz 12" PB. Both are running 10.5.8 rather nicely indeed. :)

F

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

Hm. So because the MBP13 has the 'pro' in it's name, that makes it a worse laptop than the uMB?

Get real, it's just a name. Who the hell cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.