Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Updated both iPhone and Apple Watch today . I tested the Face Mask - ID unlock, it worked 2 times and that's that...I cannot get this to work anymore! šŸ˜§

I restarted the watch and phone, toggled off/on the "Unlock w/ Watch" in Face ID phone settings, no luck.

I'll get this "Unlocking" screen for 1-2 seconds on my phone, then it prompts me to use the pin code. After 3, 4 failed FaceID with mask, it then states "You must unlock phone to use Face ID" SMH! *The little iPhone icon with "LOCK PHONE" briefly shows up on my Apple Watch, then disappears. Beats me!

Face ID works fine as usual with no mask.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: compwiz1202

UntitledImage

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Iā€™m having the exact same problem. It worked like twice or so. I accidentally grazed the ā€œlockā€ button once when it popped up on my watch. But never worked again after that. Turned everything off and on again.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Iā€™m having the exact same problem. It worked like twice or so. I accidentally grazed the ā€œlockā€ button once when it popped up on my watch. But never worked again after that. Turned everything off and on again.

I did a hard reboot the watch. Again went to Phone settings and toggled off-off "unlock with Apple watch."

Even tried a different mask, this time it worked 4 times...then it just stops unlocking. I have no idea.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I accidentally grazed the ā€œlockā€ button once when it popped up on my watch.
Rebooted both devices again, seems to be ok for now.

*Wait I THINK I did hit this on my watch, after that, Face-Mask ID went "dead"
So basically.....don't hit "Lock iPhone" on Apple Watch? This seemed to disable the MaskID...I'm guessing.

iphone-apple-watch-unlock.jpg

Reactions: The1andOnly

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
After 4 successes earlier today, I tried again and it failed. I looked in settings, and the toggle had turned off by itself. I had to turn it back on and it works right away. Make sure yours didn't toggle off on its own.

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
It works sporadically for me to just unlock the phone with the watch. I haven't been able to use ApplePay however without entering the passcode when wearing a mask.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I get an error saying that I need to have my Apple Watchā€™s WiFi enabled in order to unlock the phone. I really donā€™t understand the logic there. I tend to keep the WiFi on my watch OFF as it doesnā€™t work properly without being connected to the iPhone anyway, from my experience. However, when I then enable WiFi on the watch I can easily unlock the phone with a mask onā€¦ šŸ˜· šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have had no issues at all with it working. When I hit the lock button on the watch, all that was necessary was to re-enter the passcode on my phone to unlock it and it enables unlock with watch again. Similar to when you hit the side button 3 times quickly, it disables FaceID until the passcode is used again.. Possibly something went wrong with the update process for those having issues? I did the full iTunes update that was 4.85gb not OTA.. Not sure if that makes any difference (probably not), I just prefer to update that way..

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I have had no issues at all with it working. When I hit the lock button on the watch, all that was necessary was to re-enter the passcode on my phone to unlock it and it enables unlock with watch again. Similar to when you hit the side button 3 times quickly, it disables FaceID until the passcode is used again.. Possibly something went wrong with the update process for those having issues? I did the full iTunes update that was 4.85gb not OTA.. Not sure if that makes any difference (probably not), I just prefer to update that way..
I did the iTunes update as well, skipped the OTA on this update. The FaceMask ID works and it stops. It seemed to work ok with a white facemask or the cheap surgical looking one. But I have a gray and black mask...those were iffy. It's pretty inconsistent for me right now.

• Sad
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Updated both iPhone and Apple Watch today . I tested the Face Mask - ID unlock, it worked 2 times and that's that...I cannot get this to work anymore! šŸ˜§

I restarted the watch and phone, toggled off/on the "Unlock w/ Watch" in Face ID phone settings, no luck.

I'll get this "Unlocking" screen for 1-2 seconds on my phone, then it prompts me to use the pin code. After 3, 4 failed FaceID with mask, it then states "You must unlock phone to use Face ID" SMH! *The little iPhone icon with "LOCK PHONE" briefly shows up on my Apple Watch, then disappears. Beats me!

Face ID works fine as usual with no mask.
Works fine unlocking the phone but was flabbergasted thatā€™s literally all it works with. No app or password list or Apple Pay Face ID??? Seems sort of useless without those. Iā€™m more excited i could do the app over cellular finally.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
it was working for me at launch but now nothing. Typical Appleā€¦
After the first night..resetting both devices a few times, it's been working about 90% since Tues.
I still get the occasional "Enter Passcode," that happened earlier today. No idea why it randomly decides to stop working.

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
I haven't used this feature a whole lot, but I'd estimate the 20 times I've tried using FaceID with a mask on, my phone has unlocked via my watch every time. It actually catches me by surprise because I'm used to having to type in my pin and suddenly my phone is unlocked. I love it!

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I haven't used this feature a whole lot, but I'd estimate the 20 times I've tried using FaceID with a mask on, my phone has unlocked via my watch every time. It actually catches me by surprise because I'm used to having to type in my pin and suddenly my phone is unlocked. I love it!

Yeah, same here. It has been working pretty good lately for me as well. I still donā€™t understand why my watch has to have WiFi enabled, though (if not, my phone gives me an error telling me to activate WiFi on the watch). Doesnā€™t make any sense to me, especially when Iā€™m out and about šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
At least you have the option. I have my work email on my phone, which means I have MDM enabled. Which means unlocking my iPhone with my Apple Watch is blocked and the option is greyed out. :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: Barbareren

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For those this feature doesn't work for, keep in mind you'll need to unlock the iPhone with your actual face or passcode prior to the Apple Watch unlocking the iPhone. So if you grabbed your Watch and iPhone off the counter, put your watch on and put in the password than you put a mask on and tried to unlock the iPhone it will not work. That would be a security concern because that could reduce access to the iPhone down to a 4 digit numerical code.

So yeah, put on the Watch and unlock it with your iPhone than put your mask on. Should be good then.

Works fine unlocking the phone but was flabbergasted thatā€™s literally all it works with. No app or password list or Apple Pay Face ID??? Seems sort of useless without those. Iā€™m more excited i could do the app over cellular finally.
FaceID's security features are essentially off with this feature on. Just need your unlocked Apple Watch on your wrist within about 6 feet of your iPhone and your iPhone just needs to see anyones masked face. There could be some security concerns to say the least, especially for those that have more than 1 watch.

That said, Apple is bound by their security white paper for TouchID and FaceID with 3rd parties. While it wouldn't matter toooooo much since you can use ApplePay from the Watch anyway. However that said, you can use ApplePay from the Watch...lol. Password access can certain be a nuisance.

Yeah, same here. It has been working pretty good lately for me as well. I still donā€™t understand why my watch has to have WiFi enabled, though (if not, my phone gives me an error telling me to activate WiFi on the watch). Doesnā€™t make any sense to me, especially when Iā€™m out and about šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Unlock with Apple Watch is part of Apples continuity feature. This function likely Apples Nearby Action protocol they used for sharing Wifi address and text and receiving 'phone calls on other devices'. Similar to AirDrop its a p2p encrypted connection. I'm fairly sure the only thing being transmitted is a authorization keys proving its an iCloud device with an 'on your wrist and unlocked' status saying "Its ok to unlock" signal.

However Apple Watch leverages Wi-Fi more often than people think. The iPhone does the majority of the heavy lifting and transfers data back and forth to the Watch. So the priority for a good user experience and battery life is a solid data connection. If you are at home and your iPhone is at the other end of the house (outside a useable bluetooth range) using Wifi across the network or to the internet to maintain connection with the paired iPhone could very well be a faster, more reliable and more energy efficient method of communicating. The Apple Watch will be on the network even if the devices are 2 feet apart.

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 1.03.52 AM.png
Albeit I'm noticing now the Watch isn't ALWAYS actually connected, its in a low power state.

Unlike any other bluetooth device I've ever used the AW never losses signal because of Wi-Fi.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
It stopped working for me again today. I had to turn ON and OFF the Face-ID in order to make it work again. So not impressed.
Same on Saturday for me, the Face ID was constantly working - unlocking with my mask on. Issue is I was actually wearing my original 2015 Apple Watch (no FaceMask ID unlock on that watch)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.