14 and 18-Core iMac Pros May Arrive Sooner Than Expected [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While deliveries of the first 8 and 10-core iMac Pro orders are set to begin as soon as next week, customers who opted for upgraded 14 or 18-core options were given shipping estimates ranging from 6 to 8 weeks for the machine when ordering.

It appears the 6 to 8 week estimate may not be quite accurate for all orders, as MacRumors reader Adam, who ordered a top-of-the-line machine with an 18-core processor, has received an updated delivery estimate of January 8 to January 9, which will be just a little over three weeks after the iMac Pro was first was ordered.

[​IMG]

MacRumors forum member gobluejd has also received a sooner-than-expected shipping estimate for his 14-core iMac Pro, which will arrive on January 9 to 10 instead of the end of January.

[​IMG]

Other customers who purchased 14 and 18-core machines may also be seeing updated delivery estimates from Apple, though on Apple's site, iMac Pro orders placed today still list the same 6 to 8 week shipping estimate for high-end iMac Pro configurations.

It's likely that once initial orders go out, Apple will be able to improve those shipping estimates for new orders.

Customers who ordered 8 and 10-core machines will begin receiving their orders in the near future, as some iMac Pro orders started shipping just this morning in the United States and Canada.

The iMac Pro is still listed as unavailable in retail stores. Apple said the new machine would be available in stores by the middle of this week, a deadline that's been missed, but we could still see them in pop up in stores on Friday or Saturday.

Apple's iMac Pro is a workstation-class machine aimed at professional users who have demanding workflows. The iMac Pro supports up to an 18-core Xeon W processor, 128GB ECC RAM, an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64 graphics card with 16GB of HBM2 memory, and up to 4TB of SSD storage.

Pricing on the iMac Pro starts at $4,999 and goes up to $13,199 for a fully maxed out model.

Update: Some customers who received emails letting them know their orders will arrive early have received second emails informing them that the original emails were sent accidentally, so it is not clear if 14 and 18-core iMac Pro orders are indeed going to be arriving early.

Article Link: 14 and 18-Core iMac Pros May Arrive Sooner Than Expected [Updated]

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Good stuff!

Apple PR has been briefing that the 14 and 18-core models would be shipping in January, which didn't correlate with the February estimates people were getting, so it is good to see that this is proving accurate.

3. ArneK macrumors regular

Well let's hope they dont start cutting the horse power in half after 3-6 months to save you some energy and maybe encourage you to buy a new one...

4. Pelea macrumors 6502

imac pro is a bit too cheap, should start at $9999

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

6. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

im hoping the non iMac pros come in this color, its very nice looking.

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Looking forward to mine arriving. Should be a great machine.

8. 6803390 Suspended

WTH is wrong with you? Please don’t suggest anything. If you want throw away your money, then please send all to me - I am more than happy to spend it all.

9. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

Although i don't need it at all, each time I read about imac pro i feel strong urge to order at least 18 core model

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

For that much $ it should have been at the persons door upon payment confirmation.
    Just saying:D

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

not sure why people think this is expensive. please list similar parts on the pc side and then add in a 5k monitor. if that comes well under $5k, then I can see the argument that the iMac pro is expensive compared to similar spec'ed pc. this is not a computer you buy to browse the web or post to fb. this is for heavy photo and high quality video editing.

12. philmore13 macrumors member

Clearly you don't get the sarcasm... Jesus SMH

13. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502

SecuritySteve

Haven't been this hyped in a while. No update on mine yet though :(

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Tis a helluva lot better to under promise and over deliver.:)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    What you witnessed there is a classic example of Poe's Law. @ryanayr pulled the trigger on that outrage just a bit too quickly.

15. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Anyone know if Mail would take advantage of 18 cores? I'm hoping this would help speed up my e-mail. :D

16. Larry-K macrumors 68000

That's exactly what Tim Cook said.

17. shadowmatt macrumors regular

Right well I just spent £2700 - vat of my company's money on a new Apple laptop. Had to cos software and hassle of switching to Win 10.

But I was ripped off by Apple, we all know it. A similar price Win PC gets you so much more.

But the new iMac is the straw that broke the camels back. Its the iMac ( without the additional cores ) that their normal customers should be getting, given the price.

And the fact that its taken them this long to come up with something that if expanded matches the current level professional PC build, but for twice the price.

For that price you could get a 18 Core + 2 x 1080Ti + 128 GB Memory + 2 x M.2 + Ultrawide Screen + everything else and still have money to spare.

18. Larry-K macrumors 68000

What would you order at most?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    Never happen, that's the main selling point.

To have this color iMac on your desk means you're special

19. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Meanwhile Apple decided to give the one engineer assigned to the Mac Pro an extended Xmas break. It's only been 4 years after all. What's the rush eh?

20. citysnaps macrumors 68040

No... What it really means is you appreciate outstanding performance, loads of flexible I/O, a great display, and the means (i.e. a decent job) to pay for it. That it also looks nice is just icing. Nothing wrong with that!

21. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Apple exceeding expectations for a machine that doesn't exceed expectations for a vocal minority.

22. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Yeah, keep telling your self that.

23. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

And the reason to spend that much on an "iMac" is? Its barely upgradeable so to call it "pro" is pure marketing.

24. Tech198 macrumors G5

Apple learns, then ramps up, (and hopefully), stays there

25. citysnaps macrumors 68040

I don't understand...

Just because you may view it as an object worthy of worship and lust, and that's totally ok if that floats your boat, doesn't mean that others are required to follow in lockstep.