Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Interesting, but why compare only three photos? Can hardly get any type of conclusive results with only three photos.

Any explanation for these results ?
It won the experts and lost a totally unbiased user blind test.
There can be biases in the type of testing, and not necessarily with the user.

The high end phones' cameras (and processing SW) typically excel at a particular setting/type of photo or video (studio lights, low light, no light, night time, indoors, outdoors, portrait, video, zoom, etc.), but typically not one one excels at them all.

In Marques Brownlee's test, they only did three setting types, all were photos, and none were video.

Maybe the iPhone just doesn't do as well in those types of settings.

Check out some of MaxTech blind unbiased camera tests, and spoiler alert, the iPhone doesn't always win them. What I like about Maxtech's camera tests is that they do a few photos or videos for many different settings, and not just three different photos like in Marques Brownlee's test.

Here is there latest one:

MegaBlue

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Any explanation for these results ?

The explanation is that out of those photos, some android phones took better photos in those specific conditions. There’s nothing else to it.

No flagship smartphone camera is going to take a better phone than a competitor every single time. Sometimes an iPhone will take better photos, and sometimes an Android take better photos. What matters way more than the camera is the skill and knowledge of the person using the camera.

DJTaurus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
So next question would be. Has any android phone come close or even close the gap to iPhones video capture ?

PeteBurgh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
We're living in a golden age of phone photography. Both iPhones and the best Android phones have been excellent for some time now. The individual phones in these categories will inevitably do a bit better or worse in certain conditions, or according to certain tastes - partisans of particular brands will get excited over these minor differences.

But I think the big picture is that this is a great time to be taking photos with a high end phone. I love the photos I took on a recent holiday with my 14 Pro, but it's also great that the best Android phones are keeping the market so competitive.

Beatrix Kiddo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2022
What is the point of this nonsense comparison? If you don’t get the see the originals how can ‘decide’ which is better?

I am not saying iPhone is the best but this is how not a fair comparison is done.

ToddH

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
These tests are pretty basic. Just out of the camera jpeg or heic with zero adjustment or exposure compensation. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, even with basic photography skills, the iPhone camera can‘t be beat. The people that post these comparisons aren’t photographers, just average geeks if you will. When ProRaw is used, edits done, the others loose easily. Tony Northrup tested the iPhone against the pixel 7 and the pixel lost. as a photographer myself, I’m sure most of you have seen my photography and have seen what the iPhone camera is capable of. The 48mp sensor is fantastic and exactly what I have been patiently waiting on from Apple. Hopefully I’ll be teaching an iPhone photography class in my area soon. Here is a cool shot I took this weekend of my stepbrother. ProRaw at 48mp. So much detail. Anyway, if you have an iPhone, enjoy it, use the camera often and practice. I’ve used android before, the cameras are great but the Samsung is lacking the software to really make the camera better. Apple may be behind in the megapixel race, but their software for the cameras is ex good, especially with ProRaw.

74156CBC-5382-401B-A9AE-4FCADDEB841A.jpeg

3F67C238-C90C-4D9F-BE59-A75E9A0817BC.jpeg

D11D9801-BE58-43F1-9AEF-70EB185CD8DA.jpeg

100% or so crop

9926634E-D504-4EF4-B952-7C50528A70F8.png

Last edited:

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Most phone cameras take great pictures today. However, its the other stuff that makes the difference. Like my s22 ultra, was slow at snapping pictures where the 14 pro max is fast. Stuff like that to me makes a huge difference.

xxray

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2013
Interesting, but why compare only three photos? Can hardly get any type of conclusive results with only three photos.

There can be biases in the type of testing, and not necessarily with the user.

The high end phones' cameras (and processing SW) typically excel at a particular setting/type of photo or video (studio lights, low light, no light, night time, indoors, outdoors, portrait, video, zoom, etc.), but typically not one one excels at them all.

In Marques Brownlee's test, they only did three setting types, all were photos, and none were video.

Maybe the iPhone just doesn't do as well in those types of settings.

Check out some of MaxTech blind unbiased camera tests, and spoiler alert, the iPhone doesn't always win them. What I like about Maxtech's camera tests is that they do a few photos or videos for many different settings, and not just three different photos like in Marques Brownlee's test.

Here is there latest one:

Thank you for posting this. I just went through each photo and ranked my preferences for first, second, and third place. I put together a spreadsheet, counting the number of times a phone won first/second/third place, and then weighted them: (3 * number of 1st place wins) + (2 * number of 2nd place wins) + (1 * number of last place wins).

Results:
  1. iPhone 14 Pro Max - Score: 80
    • 16 times in first place
    • 15 times in second place
    • 2 times in third place
  2. S22 Ultra - Score: 61
    • 7 times in 1st place
    • 14 times in 2nd place
    • 12 times in 3rd place
  3. Pixel 7 Pro - Score: 57
    • 10 times in 1st place
    • 4 times in 2nd place
    • 19 times in last place
Looks like the iPhone is the clear winner for me which makes me feel a lot better after it wasn't in my top 3 for any of the MKBHD voting I did.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I find the autofocus is slow and indecisive.
So far none of my iP 14 p pix have been remarkable, but I am no shutterbug.

Same.

Most of the pictures I've taken indoors since upgrading to the 14 Max have been out of focus or not as sharp. It's the first iPhone in years I haven't been happy with. Not sure if I have a lemon or what. It's bad enough it came with two cracks in the screen out of the box.

I feel like the 14 is a complete downgrade for me anyway. I haven't had this much trouble since the X.

• Wow
Reactions: Wizec and DJTaurus

ToddH

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Same.

Most of the pictures I've taken indoors since upgrading to the 14 Max have been out of focus or not as sharp. It's the first iPhone in years I haven't been happy with. Not sure if I have a lemon or what. It's bad enough it came with two cracks in the screen out of the box.

I feel like the 14 is a complete downgrade for me anyway. I haven't had this much trouble since the X.
Really? Cracked screen. Did you get a replacement or still waiting? I haven’t had any focus issues with my two 14 PM iPhones. If I don’t touch the screen where I want the camera to focus, then the camera uses continuous auto focus and will focus on the closet object to the camera. You may have to “select” where you want the camera to focus if you haven’t already done so by touching the area of interest. Then drag your finger up / down to adjust the exposure. I wonder if you have a damaged camera module if the iPhone was delivered in bad shape. However you haven’t mentioned if you received a replacement.

ToddH

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I find the autofocus is slow and indecisive.
So far none of my iP 14 p pix have been remarkable, but I am no shutterbug.
Are you touching the screen where you want your camera to focus and adjust exposure? If not, then the camera will choose its own AF point due to continuous auto focus, usually the closest object to the camera. touching the screen, allows the camera to lock focus onto a subject that you have chosen by touching the screen. You can actually hold your finger for one second on the screen, and it will lock the focus and exposure to where it will not change for specific shooting conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nudlicious

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I have found the camera on my 14 Pro Max to be lacking when compared to my Note 20 Ultra. I am not sure if I got a dud phone. I like the rest of the phone but I keep going back to my Ultra when I want to take pictures. And of course this is just my subjective opinion. I don’t care much about taking pictures with it, so it doesn’t really matter to me.

Reactions: DJTaurus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.