Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Absolutely not true. For mainstream usage and single threaded applications, there will be virtually no appreciable difference. Of course if you are running more intensive programs that utilize the superior quad-core processors then the difference will be much greater. But to imply that the 13" feels dated is simply not true at all, especially since both machines share the same PCI SSD.

I agree for most of what you stated there; however I must point out that there seems to be a general lag when it comes to scrolling and UI animations. I assume the Iris 5100 is largely to blame here, as it doesn't have the fast eDRAM cache of the Iris Pro 5200.

For instance, opening Mission Control and Launchpad. The frames seem a little jerky when opening these.

Performance wise for the average consumer, there mightn't be any noticeable difference but when it comes to user experience, the slight jerkiness of the 13" sort of disappoints my experience.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
If

When they build to order a 13" retina mbp with quad core i7 then that would be the PERFECT portable studio for me! Or a 12 inch iPad Pro quad core i7 512GB storage tabletPC. I would easily dish out 3000 + for either of the above.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
As long as you have a good bag you should have no issues. The only time I noticed a slight annoyance was on flights when it's larger than the trays on the puddle jumper flights. I recommend a well designed bag to offset the weight. I use the Booq Viper courier. http://www.booqbags.com/images/products_800h/VCR-GRY2.jpg

The old thread below is related to passing through TSA security with a Mac:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1578281/

I bought a Tumi backback bag for my former 15" rMBP and still use it with my current 13" rMBP everytime I use it outside home. It is very friendly for air travel since as shown below the bag has a TSA friendly compartment (they call it T-Pass) , which allows you to leave the laptop in the bag by opening on the x-ray belt as shown in the last picture (with my former 15" rMBP):

photo%25282%2529.jpg

photo%25283%2529.jpg

photo%25284%2529.jpg

The bag is pretty expensive (around $600) but so is your rMBP! ! :D

Last edited:

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Absolutely not true. For mainstream usage and single threaded applications, there will be virtually no appreciable difference.
Well I went to Best Buy tonight with my pocket video camera and tested a base model 13" rMBP ($1299) vs a base model 15" rMBP ($1999). I tested how long it took both computers to launch iMovie. 13" did it in 7.5 seconds. 15" did it in 4.6 seconds = around 50% faster. Video proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPmB-6GwzE

So like I was saying earlier, with the 15" there not hardly any waiting around for the computer to get things done which makes it seem like a newer model year computer compared to the 13".

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Well I went to Best Buy tonight with my pocket video camera and tested a base model 13" rMBP ($1299) vs a base model 15" rMBP ($1999). I tested how long it took both computers to launch iMovie. 13" did it in 7.5 seconds. 15" did it in 4.6 seconds = around 50% faster. Video proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPmB-6GwzE

So like I was saying earlier, with the 15" there not hardly any waiting around for the computer to get things done which makes it seem like a newer model year computer compared to the 13".

I just did the same test with a 13" and a 15" both early base 2103 models and the 13" was 1 second faster:) just timed the 15" = 3.2 seconds, the new ones must be slower??

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I have had iPads, and multiple mac laptops. I love to travel light.

The 15in is portable, but I would not want to take it every day or work on the plane with it. If you need a 15in rMBP for graphics work and such, stop reading here, it is fine and very portable.

If your main concern is portability, and you need/want MBP, the 13in might be better and provides similar performance in most cases.

But if just need to word process/xcel/present, like most people do, I would consider leaving the MBP at home and getting a used MBA (about as portable as an iPad) or an iPad and external keyboard. Let me explain why.

Both are significantly lighter, have the same or longer battery life and if they break/stolen, much less problem than the rMBP. I used to take my MBA everywhere, I loved it and was spoiled. I got a rMBP, so now I use an iPad and sometimes keyboard for any portable word processing, and a lightning-VGA adapter for presentations. Also can present from my iPhone with that adapter! With iCloud, my documents and presentations are always up to speed (I use keynote and pages).

Does it cost more to do this? Yes. Is it much lighter and better on my mind? Yes. When I travel, I take nothing out of my carry on. My bag is light. I can take my iPad for a 2-4 daywork thing and a USB cable and thats it; no brick needed. I have minimal stress walking around. I take my iPad more places than I would my laptop. Lunch meeting? no problem. I can even sightsee, drink, etc afterwards without bringing my laptop or worrying about it getting banged up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.