16 GB iPhone users: is it enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sunsean, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Or do you constantly wish you had more storage? I know this is fairly subjective, i.e. someone who has a huge itunes library might need more than 16, while someone who doesn't listen to music would never know the difference...just wanted to hear opinions on whether people think it's enough for the phone to still be comfortably usable.

2. Syk macrumors 6502a

Mine is 16GB and I still have plenty of space. I don't use my phone as a mp3 player though and don't store movies on it. I also don't have hundreds of apps load that I don't use.

It's always nice to have additional storage especially when you can't add to it but if you know how you plan to use your device and manage what you put on it then 16GB could work for you

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Currently at the moment it's enough for me, and it probably will be.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I've got about 3GBs left on my 16GB plenty of room for me

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its ok. I've kept a lot of apps off so I have free space. I use iTunes match so I don't even have a lot of music on there.

If you can, upgrade. 1080p Video recording is murder. :D

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I keep about a gig free for photos and other stuff I might need to put on temporarily, but I never feel cramped.

7. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i have 1,140 songs, 662 pictures, 67 applications. i have 1.3 GB left.

i have a few apps that are pretty big that i hardly use so if i ever really NEED the space i can make it.

Never wanted more than 16GB

8. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, thanks for the thoughts guys. Yeah, my impression of the 16gb model is that it would be doable, but less than ideal. My hesitations with getting a 16gb 4s are mostly related to pics/vid/music. I like to keep a good bit of music on my phone as I listen to it daily (subway, working out). In reality, though, I don't actually need more than 3 or 4 albums or playlists at a time because I don't listen to ALL my music every day, it would just mean having to manually manage the on-phone music on a regular basis. Other thing is that I hear the camera on the 4s eats up a lot of space. Day to day use it would be fine because I could just dump stuff to my iMac, but what about vacations, etc where I want to take a lot of pics/vid but won't be able to sync to a computer for extended periods of time?

Not too worried about apps - I tend to keep them fairly low. My biggest app that I MUST keep is Garageband, which takes about a gig. Otherwise I'm pretty app-light.

I will probably try to find a good deal on a 32/64gb unit, but I'm just weighing my options as obviously the 16gb is both cheaper and more widely available (buying off Craigslist).

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm on the other end of the spectrum; I have a 32GB iPhone 4 and am constantly cramped.

But then I have a fairly large music collection and like to keep as much of it with me as I can. I also have TomTom installed, which eats up a fair chunk of space.

I've actually been tempted to get a 64GB 4S just for the additional space, but realized I'll get more for my money if I wait for a 64GB iPhone "5" which will be out in the next few months.

10. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think I will spend the extra $1-200 on a larger capacity 4s. Like I said in the above post, I'm sure I could make the 16 work, but in the long run I think I'll feel more comfortable with the higher capacity for music/pics/vid. Don't like the idea of having to daily micro-manage the storage :-/

I am also currently on a 32gb iphone 4, and the 32 is plenty for me. I have about 15 gigs of music, which is taking up the most space, so obviously if I got a 16gb 4s, I'd have to cut that down to about 5 gigs. I don't need to have my entire 40gb library on my phone, but I do want to have more than just a few playlists...I was just looking and found someone selling a "10/10" 64gb 4s for $520...gonna check it out, but if it's legit I might be taking it.

11. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Too small for me, next iPhone will be 64GB or larger if possible.

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

EXTREMELY glad I went with 32. I have 25.2gb used; 3.0gb available. 16+gb of music on there alone. 368 photos/23 videos in camera roll and an additional 135 photos imported.

Not that I have a very extensive library of music, but it's nice to keep it all on there and not have to worry about managing additional playlists to keep on the phone.

13. Tridztan macrumors member

Biggest mistake I made with regards to my iPhone and iPad storage sizes. Apps alone took up the storage, don't have any music or videos on both. My next purchase for both, yup you guessed right... 64GB for both devices.

14. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

After all of my games, music and over 1,500 pictures, I still have 16GB left on my 32GB phone. I don't have as much music as I know a lot of people do, but man some apps take up a lot of space and I'm glad I upgraded from a 16 to a 32, it takes away the problem of having to delete things to make room for others (at least for me!) :D

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a little tight with my 16gb phone. I don't have a lot of videos but my music is taking up the majority of space. The next phone I get will be one that has more storage.

16. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah seems like it's different strokes for different folks, which makes sense since everyone's needs and uses obviously vary.

I think, for me, it will be worth the bit of extra scratch in the long run.

17. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I like the 32 GB size just because I have a lot of pics and I tend to put a few movies on the phone as well. This combined with apps and music adds up really quickly.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It's decent for me, but my next iPhone and iPad will be 32GB. I've just begun putting music on my iPhone and don't keep much on there and I still have about 8 or 9GB worth of space left. iTunes Match makes it easy to add and remove songs on the iPhone.

19. Poopsie macrumors newbie

I bought an Airstash and a 64GB, 2x32GB and a 16GB SD Card to hold all of my music, Podcasts, pictures and Videos. When go anywhere, turn that on and I have unlimited space. The nice thing is that my wife and kid can also use it. Plus, it works with my iPad. All of our devices are 16GB and only hold a few songs, a couple of videos and Apps just in case the Airstash is not with us at that time. I have well over 5GB left on both my iPad and iPhone - Both 16GB. It is nice because no matter what devices I buy in the future, it will work with them.

20. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

I though that it would be enough for me, and for about 3 years it was. But now i actually DO want to put music on my phone and i have .65 left free. I have about 900 pictures and about 140 apps.

So sad. :( I can't get a new phone as my 4s is unlocked and still on contract so i can't sell it and get a bigger capacity unlocked phone for the same price. :(

21. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I make do with 16G just fine. I have a larger 40gig music library and about 100gigs of movies and TV shows. But how much music or video can you listen to in a day. I made several different music playlists on iTunes and just sync accordingly at night for the next day. It's never been a problem. I used to regret not buying the 32gig but now its no issue at all.

22. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I want a 256 GB iPhone to be honest. 16 GB is nowhere near enough for a good iOS experience.

23. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You can sell your phone. I sold mu iPhone 4 16gig on ebay in January for $300. I am thinking of selling my 4S now and using my old 3G until the new iPhone comes out.

24. Kyllle macrumors 6502

I have the 16, and it's enough for me using iTunes match, but I'll probably get 32 when they release the next iphone so I can keep all my music on it instead of having to stream.

25. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I am always amazed at how much people DO put on their phone.

I got 16GB and still have around 7GB or so available with a couple of playlists, 2 movies, 200+ photos, quite a few apps etc.