Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Late-2008
Early-2009
Mid-2009
Mid-2010
Early-2011
Late-2011
Mid-2012
Late-2012
Early-2013
Late-2013
Mid-2014
Early-2015
Mid-2015

It's only since 2016 that the release cycle has been one per year...
what amount of those where redesigns though. and how many where less than 4 months

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
I don't get why Apple won't revive the 17" Macbook Pro instead. Even though this is probably their best Macbook yet, from a marketing stand point, it'll just seem too similar to the 15".
When they made the 17” it was something like less than 5% of MacBooks sold. There just isn’t enough market for them. A 16” screen in the same body size as a 15” is a decent enough compromise. Hopefully intel will get their 10nm CPU’s out the door because I’m not buying another MacBook until that happens.

Reactions: simonmet and Lazy

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I like the last line in that little table. Demand - 250,000 per month.

Does it come with 128GB SSD or will Tim push the boat out and demand it has 256?

Reactions: ruslan120

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
If it has a full travel keyboard, OLED display and USB-A, SD and HDMI ports, this will sell like hotcakes. Of course, it won't have any of that. They'll talk about how "impossibly thin" it is

And this tired old rhetoric continues from but a few voices. Please bring yourself into the present. Those ports on any Apple laptop are history, and that’s the right decision. Only you and a dozen other people want them. The rest of us (millions) really, really don’t. This will sell like hot cakes without them.
[doublepost=1561354150][/doublepost]
Why would they do this without a 4k display?

Because at this physical size, resulting in the same 218ppi used in every retina Mac so far (and the new Pro 6K display), no normal person can see the difference and pushing more pixels will only unnecessarily hinder performance.

Windows machines need more pixels because Windows’ scaling technology sucks. Apple’s resolution independence is nothing short of amazing.

The question is why on earth would they do this with a 4K display? What possible benefit is there?

Last edited:

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Will they still be forcing the TouchBar on us with this one like they do the 15"?
If so there's no sale for me and I'm sticking to my 13".

Reactions: jwdsail

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
If it has a full travel keyboard, OLED display and USB-A, SD and HDMI ports, this will sell like hotcakes. Of course, it won't have any of that. They'll talk about how "impossibly thin" it is

Yeah...it'll be so thin they won't even fit in the proper battery size on top of that it probably won't cool down very well either.
But hey, it'll have a keyboard that travels about 1/2 a millimeter, only USB-C, 500 nits and thin thin thin.
None of which anyone ever asked for. Certainly NOT the pros.
But if Apple says it's cool it's gotta be beyond amazing.

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
Will they still be forcing the TouchBar on us with this one like they do the 15"?
If so there's no sale for me and I'm sticking to my 13".

Indeed. I do really hope they have a non-touch-bar option. That gimmick works nicely for some people so by all means have at it for them, but some of us, developers especially, could really do with the physical function keys.

I’ve emailed Tim (tcook@apple.com) outlining that case and imploring him to give this thing and all future Mac laptops the option of foregoing the Touch Bar for normal function keys (but still with Touch ID on the right like the MBA, unless they replace that with Face ID). I’ve found he listens in the past. Might be worth a few more people emailing him the same request. (That’s probably more productive than people sitting around here whining about it).

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
Yeah...it'll be so thin they won't even fit in the proper battery size on top of that it probably won't cool down very well either.
But hey, it'll have a keyboard that travels about 1/2 a millimeter, only USB-C, 500 nits and thin thin thin.
None of which anyone ever asked for. Certainly NOT the pros.
But if Apple says it's cool it's gotta be beyond amazing.

We’re not asking for 500 nits? Speak for yourself. I’ll take brighter if they make it.

And “only USB-C” is exactly what I and at least some others asked for and I’m glad they did it. So again, speak for yourself.

I only hope this one has 3 channels / 6 ports instead of the current 2 / 4.

Agreed though that it needs to be thick enough to have proper cooling. Although everyone whining about the throttling of the 2018 i9 still seems to ignore the fact that Apple fixed that with software. But some people just like whining.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
We’re not asking for 500 nits? Speak for yourself. I’ll take brighter if they make it.

And “only USB-C” is exactly what I and at least some others asked for and I’m glad they did it. So again, speak for yourself.

I only hope this one has 3 channels / 6 ports instead of the current 2 / 4.

Agreed though that it needs to be thick enough to have proper cooling. Although everyone whining about the throttling of the 2018 i9 still seems to ignore the fact that Apple fixed that with software. But some people just like whining.
The current 2019 kicks ass

Industrial Tycoon

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2019
Normally I’d be excited but I already know this will probably have a base price of $6000 and come with 128 GB of storage, a mid-range GPU from last year, and won’t include the $500 power supply.
Those numbers mostly check out, with the exception of the RAM. Base model will come with 8GB (expandable to 128GB, as you say). Not user serviceable, upgrade to 32gb for just $3500.

Reactions: ruslan120

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I have a feeling this will drop the Touch Bar. I personally love it, but only with the use of third party utilities that let me set up a bunch of macros for running complicated keyboard shortcuts and scripts, though I wish Apple would implement that themselves. Since Catalina showed no signs of Touch Bar development, it’s probably goodnight.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
It must be more to the machine than this , if it exists. 0.4inch increase in screen size and no really new CPU/GPU to use compared to current MBP.

XDR screen? A downscaled afterburner processor? Thicker with better thermals but no weight increase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.