Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's widely rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro will be powered by Intel's 9th-generation Coffee Lake Refresh processors, in line with the 15-inch MacBook Pro released in May, according to IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin.

16-inch-MBP-Solo-800x470.jpg

If accurate, this means the 16-inch MacBook Pro will be configurable with up to an 8-core Core i9 processor with a 2.4GHz base clock speed and a max Turbo Boost frequency of 5.0GHz. The lineup also includes 6-core Core i7 processors. All of the chips are 45W with integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630.

Notably, this would mean that Apple isn't yet ready to use Intel's latest 10th-generation Ice Lake processors. These chips might not have been powerful enough for the 16-inch MacBook Pro, as there are currently no 6-core or 8-core options, and they have low TDPs ranging between 9W and 15W.

Rumors suggest the 16-inch MacBook Pro will feature an all-new design with narrower bezels and a more reliable scissor mechanism keyboard. In a research note obtained by Forbes, Lin said the 16-inch display will have 227 pixels per inch, in line with a previously rumored 3,072×1,920 resolution.

Lin believes the 16-inch MacBook Pro will enter production in September, setting the stage for a fall release, but there is still some debate as to whether Apple will unveil the notebook in September or October. In the fall, Apple typically unveils new Macs in October, but it could always break with tradition.

There is some speculation that the 15-inch MacBook Pro may be discontinued shortly after the 16-inch model launches, but TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said the 15-inch model will be refreshed in 2020.

Article Link: 16-Inch MacBook Pro Will Reportedly Use Intel's 9th-Gen Processors With Up to 8 Cores

Last edited:

Trolle

macrumors member
May 24, 2016
I would think price would be comparable to current line; maybe they will charge a little more for the redesign.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I suspect that this is true and it would not be of Apple's doing but instead lie at Intel's doorstep. It seems the yield and process maturity of the 10 nm fabrication process does not yet lend itself to the higher core count and higher frequency of these chips.

I have been thinking about replacing my Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro but suspect that I will instead now wait for 2020's revision that will more than likely be using Ice Lake, and get the battery replaced in my current machine while possible before it becomes vintage.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I could always look it up, but I wish this article gave the specs of the 15” to compare these new(?) specs to.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
That was for a machine without a dedicated graphics chip. In 2015, the 16GB/512GB model with discrete graphics was $2,499.
Even in the absence of a suitable Iris Pro chip from intel, if they really wanted to they could probably get back to the $1,999 price point just by using a quad core i5-9300H, halving the RAM and using a cheaper GPU (550X?).

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
If this doesn’t have a refresh rate of 144hz it is trash computer. I’m a speed runner so I am a true professional and so far this doesn’t sound professional

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.