16-Inch MacBook Pro With All-New Design Expected in 2019, 13-Inch Model May Gain 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2019.

1. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

I never understood these things. They have their devotees (the old 17” machines anyway) but even in their heyday I’d say the general MBP user went for the 15”, another large contingent went for the 13”, and a tiny number went for the 17”. And most the people I saw getting these were basically older guys already accustomed to lugging around boat anchors.

Don’t get me wrong, if the demographic exists, serve it. I’m never sad to see someone get the product they want but this machine always seemed the El Camino of computers.

Of course I talk about portability like it’s a huge deal and 99% of the travel on my laptop is from home to office and back with workstations set up in both locations. I’m hardly doing the road warrior thing with my 13”, lol.

2. swifty168 macrumors member

So.. could this mean MBP with move to 14” and 16” now that the air occupies 13” and Macbook occupies 12”

3. pika2000 macrumors 601

16 and 16.5”? Wouldn’t those be too similar in size? Wouldn’t one of those sizes would be enough rather than creating confusion to consumers?

In any case, it would be great to see the return of something close to the 17” MacBook Pro. However, I have a feeling Jonny Ive won’t just do one that people would expect.

Personally, I want a larger MacBook Air. This lineup would make more sense than the current mess.
    MacBook Air: 13.3” and 15”
    MacBook Pro: 13”, 15”, and 16.5”
    Kill the 12” MacBook.

4. coolfactor macrumors 601

Let's hope it's true and they are working their butts off to fix their release cycles. Some people waited forever for a Mac mini, only to get a mini powerhouse that was way too expensive for a mini computer. And let's not talk about the Mac Pro...

5. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

Nvm, it's been 4 years since 2016 version released so this year is the year for all new MacBook Pro. Apple release a new MacBook Pro every 4 years so it is exciting.

6. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

Going to temper my expectations based on recent MBP design changes. But really excited too.

7. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

it's possible that if they're redesigning the keyboard, they probably need to redesign the chasis.

8. Kai Wang macrumors newbie

Kai Wang

It'll probably be the same size as the current 15-incher, but with the edge to edge style display found on the iPad Pros. And it'll cost an arm, a leg and my first born child.

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Features this thing needs:

• Emoji-bar optional.
    • No condom keyboard.
    • Matte screen option.
    • nVidia GPU.
    • User upgrade-able Ram and SSD.
    • Apple pencil support built in the Trackpad.
    • Mag-safe
    • Cooling solution that doesn't throttle (excessively).
    • Illuminated Apple logo on the back, just because damn it.. it's a Mac!!

10. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

This guy's predictions rarely happen. This is wishful thinking for you, me, and him.

11. CanadianGuy macrumors member

CanadianGuy

This will be awesome if true! I stretched the life of my 17" MBP out as far as I could, but a swollen battery damaged the internals and it's now unusable. Switched to an iMac, but this could make me buy a MacBook Pro again. Assuming they also fix the keyboard that is.

12. CoachRocks macrumors newbie

13. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I think they've worked out they can't have the fastest Intel Chips in the current MBP design, they need really beefed up cooling to make it work properly

14. andrewmarich macrumors member

andrewmarich

The current MBP 15" is actually already 16.5" including the black border. Maybe it will be the same design but borderless ?

15. derek macrumors member

derek

OTG, I hope this is real. And get the revised modular Mac Pro on the market as well. And get serious about fixing the bugs in Mojave and Safari. And get out the new AirPods and wireless charger.... We might have an Apple renaissance brewing, ending the annoying, cloying, tedious Mac Malaise. Make me smile, Apple.

16. jameslmoser macrumors 6502a

jameslmoser

With all the problems they have had with the current design I can't believe they haven't changed it completely already.

17. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, 2016-2018 MacBook Pro is TOTALLY terrible for sure.

18. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

But will it have an SD card reader and a keyboard that doesn't suck?

19. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

Well, I assume that Apple will be going to release ONLY 16.5inch MacBook Pro since they need one more year to fill 4 years of cycle.

20. saintstryfe macrumors member

saintstryfe

It will have proper ports- USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports. The ports that do everything. I'm so freak'n tired of people whining about it - they're what is here now. They work fantastic. They have power. They have every modern connection with an adapter. I'm sorry your 15 year old game controller doesn't work without a cheap, passive adapter. But I don't care. This is what is now and going forward. Suck it up and grow up.

Keyboard, you have slightly more of a point on. It's still not going to be radically different. The new boards need some better control, but they feel fantastic to type on. There's nothing wrong with them operationally.

Matte screen is hard to find on any laptop. Whine to the manufacturers.

Performance especially on the new ones are fantastic. Just.. just give it up. THey're good machines, bront. And life goes on. If you can't move on, you'll get left behind.

21. cmaier macrumors G5

Take my money. As long as it doesn’t have that butterfly keyboard crap.

22. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

My 2017 MacBook Pro is having issues with its keyboard constantly. This is the 4th repair I’ve had and the replacement keyboard is not uniform at all and it is terrible. If I hit the “U” key on an angle, it doesn’t want to click. So if I’m typing on the keyboard fast, I have to keep going back and correct it.

Obviously I can bring it in for a 5th time, but I may wait until this new release since I know this is rather a design flaw and replacing with a 2018 may not guarantee a fix in the future.

Hopefully this will. So I will wait to bring it in for the 5th time and demand a replacement.

23. thequietaussie macrumors member

2016 version was released in October. Which puts it currently at 2 years and 4 months. So it'll be close to 3 years by the time WWDC rolls around, but well short of 4. But given all the problems they've had, maybe they're pushing up the redesign?

Or maybe they're pushing up the redesign as otherwise there's not much they can do this year due to Intel and AMD being heavily delayed on Ice Lake and Navi.

24. zchrykng macrumors member

zchrykng

25. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The bezel of the current MacBook Pro in the 2015 15" casing will easily accommodate the 16" screen. So, this is easily possible.

Just keep it thick enough to ventilate the unit well and fit the pre 2015 scissor keyboard.