16-Inch MacBook Pro With All-New Design Expected in 2019, 13-Inch Model May Gain 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2019.

1. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

The only thing in there that I can see as a possibly are user upgrades if Apple is doing a heavy about face to court pros. I seriously doubt it though.

nVidia and Apple haven’t made up. That’s a non-starter.

Maybe they make the keyboards not suck. I don’t mind the butterfly mechanism but some actual travel would be nice.

MagSafe is dead. Just let her go already. If it’s a feature you genuinely need because you’re plugging in where the traffic is high, it can be had with USB-C adapters. We’re awkwardly heading into the “one port to rule them all” era and for all its faults, it’s so nice that I can get power from tons of docking stations and even other people’s adapters now. I can get power adapters at lengths to suit my needs. I never have to pay for an Apple charger again. Thanks, but no thanks. Proprietary power adapters can stay dead.

I may be in the minority but I’m glad the glowing logo isn’t a thing anymore. I have not mourned its departure.

2. pratikindia, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019

pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

If this redesign fixes annoying issues of 16/17/18 MBPs, I will buy as soon as it hits the store. As of now I need to replace my aging MBP, but reluctant to buy the current ones with all those issues.

3. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Any money that Apple spent on developing these MacBooks (all three) is pittance to them.:(

From the results - these three MacBooks - looks like they were on a cost cutting spree and spent nothing on them at all:rolleyes:. They definitely saved a lot of money in the build - aluminum, air between the layers, cost of screws, etc.! Even on a connector for the flex cable to the screen.:mad:

4. ksec macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't be too soon if they think the design were wrong. ( That is assuming they do... which I am not really sure that will be the case ) The hinge now needs fixing because of the stupid design. The thunderbolt frying up the display pins due to not properly isolated. ( Not sure if they fixed in to the 2018 DDR4 LogicBoard iteration ) But yeah. I agree they wont update the whole range in one go.

My thought would be they just rename the MacBook as MacBook Mini and MacBook Air as MacBook. But these new iteration will likely dependent on Intel 10nm..... I doubt they will have enough quantity for Apple in 2019, again likely 2020.

5. Kai Wang macrumors newbie

Kai Wang

It
    Wow damn, you're right. I didn't even realize that. FOUR YEARS have passed. Time sure flies. I'm still using my no-TB 13-inch MacBook Pro.

6. tipoo macrumors 6502

Will this be the first ARMbook, I wonder. I figured it would coincide with the next major overhaul, though this is sooner than I had assumed. I'm curious, for the 15 or now 16 inch, if they'd also make the GPU part at the same time as the ARM switch, whole hog all the silicon at once.

I'd hope it's still two distinct chips, as that will always allow a higher TDP than a single SoC, without the CPU and GPU right next to each other on the same die.

7. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

There’s no way the screen is going to be 2:1. It’s going to be a bezel shrink, screen increasing about an inch from the current 15.4”. Same 16:10 aspect ratio.

8. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

It's actually so good to hear MacRumors here.
    Please Apple launch this year:
    MBP 16"
    Mac Pro
    6K displays.

Enough of this crazy waiting.

9. jecowa macrumors regular

I'm worried that the measurement increase is due to switching to the inferior ratio of 16:9. So the screen wouldn't really be getting any larger; it's just that the dumb diagonal measurement system makes it appear so.

10. tharitm macrumors regular

tharitm

Wasn't expecting a major MacBook Pro refresh until 2020, but this is new and exciting hopefully this will address the keyboard and all the "gate" issues!

11. cmaier macrumors G5

Four years have not passed. One year passed in 2017. Two years in 2018. We are not quite to three years yet.

12. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

The hypotenuse on a triangle with the right-angle sides(legs) of 16:9 is longer than the one with 16:10?

13. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

MagSafe and SD card slot yes. However, with the pricing policies since 2016, I shudder to think what that computer will sell for in my country. I, frankly, can buy a hatchback car in my country for the price of a 15" MBP 2018.

14. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

That doesnt make them to apply the new design to 13 and 15 because they always did that since the beginning. Yes Mac Pro 2013 was a great example that they've been selling the same one for more than 6 years but we'll see.

15. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Its amazing how Apple just doesn't get it. Consumers are begging for these features and they don't put them in.

What is the reason for disrespecting your consumer like that?

16. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I 100% agree on the no Touch Bar!

I 100% agree with MagSafe. It is a MUCH nicer option for a $5,000+ MBP than USB-C power but I don't think that will happen.

USB A is done, that ship has sailed. To be honest, I'd be happy if they just add HDMI.

SD-Card slots are used by so few people these days that I'd be shocked if Apple found it worth the expense and the space to add it.... They aren't coming back.

17. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

What will happen if Apple somehow manages to make a USB-C magsafe port?!?!?!

18. Basic75 macrumors 6502

If the keyboard is as good as pre-touchbar, and the thermals don't suck, in other words, if it goes back to somewhat earning the "Pro" in its name instead of being the third "thin over everything" laptop line, I'm still buying one.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 ---
    And of course I'm waiting for Ice Lake.

19. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Meltdown of the internet as we know it.

20. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

$3999 is DAO in EU, that’s like €5999 incl EU tax....
    Good luck mister Cook.

21. Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

I wonder whether they will keep the disappointing TouchBar. It's been 2.5 years since introduction and its potential never materialized. Will Apple finally call defeat on that battle?

22. apolloa macrumors G4

Sounds fantastic to have a screen size close to what many I’ve wanted for years and years... it’s just a shame with Apple’s current pricing it’ll be crazily overpriced.
    Let’s hope it has a keyboard that works and more ports over USB C.

Kuo’s report today isn’t exactly ‘thorough’ I have to say. The only actual in depth news was on the new display, also no mention of the new iMacs or the Mac Pro..

23. bunce66 macrumors member

Hahaha don't be silly. It's not going to have any of that stuff unfortunately. Just a bunch of USB-C ports. And it will have the Touch Bar.

They will make it 0.2 mm thinner, which is what everyone wants.

24. vonj macrumors newbie

Same design just larger screen
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 ---
    We think alike

25. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Unless they sort out their keyboards this is pretty dull news. The keyboard is the fundamental user interface for a computer.