16gb is the PERFECT size for the iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andross77, Mar 17, 2012.

1. andross77, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

andross77 macrumors regular

Ok, I admit I created my thread title to get "32gb and 64gb owners that lack self confidence" in here but mainly I just wanted to encourage fellow 16gb ipad 3 owners. I just got down setting up my 16gb wifi only iPad just as I want it and want to share with you how it's filled. My main space filling app is called Logos. It's a Bible app that works in conjuction with software on my laptop. It takes up 5.2gb because I downloaded 1290 resources that I own (bibles, commentaries, magazines, dictionaries, books, etc). I have 25 game apps including Modern Combat 3 (1.8gb) and Real Racing 2 HD (1.1gb) and Dungeon Defenders (949mb).

I have ibooks and Khan Academy and iTunes U for more learning :) I have Netflix so that I can watch all the old shows I like to watch. And i have 462mb left over :)

I have a 64gb iphone where I keep my music and pictures. I never download movies.

So there you go. I have more books loaded on my iPad than I will ever be able to read. More games than I ever have time to play (and gaming is one of my biggest hobbies). And in those 2 things, i'm 100% mobile since my games and books are downloaded. Now if i want to watch Netflix, i have to be on Wifi.

Point of this post: 16gb is PERFECT for MEEEE at this exact time and people need to stop coming on Macrumors and hyperventilating that they won't be able to put 20gb of music, 20gb of movies, 10gb of games and 10gb of pictures/videos on their iPad.

I will say though since I find my iphone much more convenient to use I will always get the max capacity for it (64gb right now).

But if someone wanted to buy a 64gb iPad to store most all their stuff and a 16gb iphone just for reading material I wouldn't say they made a bad decision they will regret. I would understand MY NEEDS ARE NOT THEIR NEEDS and be happy for them that they could afford an ios device :D

2. Yggbert macrumors regular

Enjoy your purchase. Stop making dumb threads.

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would have thought that perhaps 1 - 2 GB needed to be free to operate smoothly...

4. doboy macrumors 68000

5. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

6. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

7. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. Operates just like when it was empty. I think that's only spinning hard drives that slow down once they are at capacity. Of course I won't be able to update the larger games unless I clear stuff out but I knew that :)

8. rdiz17 macrumors member

I have 40 apps, a couple of books and a few movies and I still have 8GB free on mine. I almost never have music on it or more than a couple HD movies so I can easily work with 16GB.

9. Elise macrumors 6502

You can't say it's the perfect size for everyone, folks have different needs.

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Snarky bunch here today!

11. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Good to know!

12. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

If you'll read my post I never said it was the perfect size for everyone. My post was made exactly for the reason to say that those that keep saying EVERYONE should get the 64gb are wrong. I said it's the perfect size for ME! :)

----------

I figure it's just bitter people that haven't received their iPad yet because FedEX ran over it or something.....

13. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Why did you bother starting this thread? Are you an Evangelist?

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Sounds like rationalizing. I bet he secretly wishes he'd bought the 64.

15. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

I started it because I've read no less than a dozen different threads where people either thought they screwed themselves by getting the 16gb (before they even received it mind you) or others were saying that 32gb is the bare minimum you should own and it's better even to get the 64gb.

My thread is stating: for MANY people, including myself, the 16gb is the PERFECT iPad because it's all the space we need or want to use. Buying larger is just wasting money.

16. davedvdy macrumors regular

Exactly. Others find the use of a 16 GB fine, while some are utilizing all 64 GB and some wish to go bigger.

17. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I think your perspective is perfectly valid. The usage you describe works well for 16gb.

I don't mean to be snarky, but your interest in the Bible for reading and Modern Combat (i.e., violence and death as entertainment) for game playing is an interesting contrast.

18. GaiaAero macrumors regular

Actually, it's not the perfect size. Maybe for you, but not for me ;)

19. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

If you know anything about the Bible, you know that God led His people into battle. Also, if you can't make a distinction between violence against innocents (like in Grand Theft Auto) and violence against an enemy, then you need to do more thinking about the topic of violence and war.

I read the Bible, and I believe there are valid reasons for war. Violence is necessary in war. I am also against, violence for violence sake (Any horror movie like Hostel or whatever....)

20. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

No one will ever need more than 128kb of memory.

Nice job defending your purchase.

Just know that nobody cares.

21. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You can't expect to see owners of 32 and 64 GB models agreeing with you.
    I'd say 16 GB is perfect for most users, but not for many others.

22. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

True. I put it in the title because the general use of the term is ridiculous. But some people think that a random internet person can tell them what iPad they should buy :)

----------

If you didn't care just a little, you wouldn't have posted.

----------

I am only trying to get owners of 32gb and 64gb iPads to agree with me that the 16gb is the perfect iPad for SOME people, not for themselves (hence, why they bought the larger models in the first place) You have just done that. So thanks :)

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

There's no need to be ashamed that you can only afford 16 Gb Wi-Fi iPad :)

24. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe, you're right. a 64gb wifi iPad would be so much more than my 64gb iPhone + Verizon contract is....:D

I realize mostly rich people are going to be on forums dealing with Apple products so I don't mind the chiding :)

25. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I thought Jesus said love your enemy, and turn the other check. I can't imagine Jesus leading any group of people into battle. Oh well, you must be more into the Old Testament.

But as I said, your 16gb logic makes sense to me.