17"mbp after macworld?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple2E, Dec 11, 2008.

1. apple2E macrumors regular

When do you guys think the 17" MBP is coming out? It would be awesome for it to have the 3.06 option.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I hope not. I hope that the delay of almost 3 months has another reason than just a manufacturing issue. It would be nice to get matte option or something like that.
    Also, blue ray would be a nice bonus and also a surprise although I don't need blue ray now. :)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What part of "bag of hurt" don't you get? They're going to hold out until HDCP isn't used anymore or until the next format after Blu-ray. Then they'll start their own standard with that format without DRM.

5. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Well, when it comes to blue ray, i am a total noob so I don't really know the background. I think i have a rough idea of what you mean but not that much into details to really say more. Perhaps Apple could get a good agreement with the licencing (or whatever) thing and introduce it in the MBP. It is gonna happen the only question is when. I don't really think that one can skip a format and wait for another one. We shall see. I know that I can't enjoy blue ray on my 30" ACD as its not supported but perhaps in future I will :)))

Anyway, I was ready to buy my 17" MBP in October but was disappointed with the fact that it wasn't introduced so I am patiently waiting for the unibody update and will see if i go for one. (if they offer matte or some anti glare trick then I'll buy in a second) :))

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I learned not to buy a 17" computer again. As portable as it was, it will never be as portable my 15". Plus I spent the difference and some on a 24" monitor, so yeah. :p

7. detz macrumors 65816

I'm been waiting for months too, I'm going to be pissed if A.) They don't announce it or info about it, or B.) They don't bump the specs up so it's not just a larger 15"

8. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I wish I could do that. :)
    I actually need portable only when I travel and that is once every 4 months so its a question of taking the laptop, bring it to another country, then set it up and work :) No starbucks etc for me :)))
    I wish apple was doing 19" as that would be even better :)

9. apple2E thread starter macrumors regular

For your situation 15" is good. When I'm on the run filming and need to encode and edit, I need all the real estate i can have along with being portable.

10. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

I'm waiting for the 17" as well. I had the money ready in October and was very disappointed.

Oh well, it's worth the wait if Apple would actually release a slightly better specs 17" MBP than the current unibody MBP lines. 9600M GT isn't enough, even if it may not be faulty as many have said.

I'm getting 17" for a desktop replacement and currently using 17" going to 15" would be a bad downgrade for me.

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

We're on the same boat. I wish Apple make 19" as well.

12. MBX macrumors 65816

they need to offer at least a 8gb ram option.

what about cpu, is it gonna be a core i7? hopefully some 3ghz option too.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Nehalem. In a laptop. In January 2009. Ha ha!

14. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I too, am waiting on the 17" MBP to be revised. I asked my gf for the 15" MBP for xmas and she said that the only MBP she will buy me is the 17". Haha, i love her. Why do you think apple didnt update the 17's with the 15's and MB? I hope its for a good reason........

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The reason is that they didn't make a 17" unibody in time. Say it with me: There will be no laptop Nehalem chips until late Q3 2009.

The next update will be Montevina–what is in the MacBook and 15"–and a GPU that we know isn't worthless (as opposed to the current 8600M).

16. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I so hope that they also offer matte option. Its gonna be really hard for me to decide whether or not i want to shell out £2000 for a laptop that doesn't meet my needs. What a predicament - I don't want windows again but I also don't want glassy rubbish. Maybe I'll be forced to buy the old generation out of refurb store but I love the design of the unibody. Damn Apple, I hope you are listening to us matte people.

17. Mercboyz macrumors newbie

i hope there is an update to 17" at macworld to the new unibody design. My money is ready to go a soon as they announce it. I just wish we had some chatter to say that it's coming. Everything has been about the iMac, Mac Pro, and the mac mini.

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

No doubt, for me too its a no-brainer.

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Possibly Macworld, if Phil Schiller makes a mention of the unibody notebooks.

If not, then I predict late January.

Specs will likely be up to 2.93 GHz and maybe a slightly better GPU. The matte screen option may come exclusive to this MacBook Pro too.

(Exclusive to the 17", not as in the 17" has matte only.)

20. GA84 Guest

One can only hope...

21. jjcore macrumors newbie

I would definitely jump on a 9800 GT. Unfortunately, I know this will never happen. Too hot and big. I guess I'll have to suck it up and go Alienware... :(

22. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

That's one hellofa suck up!:

[​IMG]
    Wow! Although that little glowing alien is probably a chick magnet :D

23. jjcore macrumors newbie

WOO WOOOO! Nothing says "I'm single...for life" like a light up alien head!!

24. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Alienwares are ugly. They definetly arent chick magnets. But most people that own them live with their moms and game 12 hours a day,lol.

25. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

I don't mind Alienware... but its just because it cannot genuinely run Mac OS X :(