Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Are you included in that group? I noticed you did some implying, but didn't actually claim it. What do you do professionally/visually that you earn a living from? I'd hate for you to just be repeating what everyone else says.

I'm a graphic designer, web developer, and classically trained artist, so I think I have a qualified opinion. I don't like the glare because it distracts me. Especially on the border, which never has an image/light coming through it to alleviate the glare.

I'm a student in graphic design in Quebec.

However, glossy is just as calibratable as matte. CRT's were renowned for their color accuracy, but they were either glossy or glossy with a slight anti-glare coating. Your hardware calibrator looks through the "oversaturated" glass layer and calibrates accordingly. That's the whole point of visual hardware calibration! If calibration was based off of color values that the monitor is supposedly displaying, then it wouldn't take in to account the glass layer distorting it.

I've knew the CRT were awesome in the time, but it's actually the first time that I hear the glossy is as calibrate as matte. My teachers never spoke about matte vs glossy, but always heard matte was better. You put my in doubt, I'll try to lot around just to confirm your claim, or if it's just a myth that I through was real like you said.

Still, no matter what, colours accuracy is important.

Scottological

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Denver, CO
The silver bezel looks dated in comparison.

Does a tuxedo look dated? Is a Barcelona chair out of fashion because it's old? Ha!

The pre-October MacBook Pro shall live forever as a design icon!

(I'm only half-kidding. To me, at least, the design is timeless. So clean, so utilitarian, yet so gorgeous.)

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Does a tuxedo look dated? Is a Barcelona chair out of fashion because it's old? Ha!

The pre-October MacBook Pro shall live forever as a design icon!

(I'm only half-kidding. To me, at least, the design is timeless. So clean, so utilitarian, yet so gorgeous.)

Agreed, while I'm envious of new features, handling 15"UMBP for a few days, I'm back in love with my beaten yet proud & gorgeous Matte'15"LED'MBP

It's almost like you've almost dumped a girl, and then you realize how terrific she actually is :D

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Excellent analogy. Made me laugh! :D
And to think I brought the new Unibody home and made her (my old MBP) watch while I used the new one. I even stacked them on top of each other. Then I got rid of the old one. I feel like a total jerk! :D

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
In 10 or 20 years when I show folks pictures of me using the unibody MBP, at least I won't be mortified that a I was using a MacBook Pro that hideous looking and was considered cool at the time. :D (I kid... kinda)

:D I really hope aluminum doesn't look as bad in 20 years as that horrible cat-piss-yellow-ivory-beige crap that EVERYBODY used for their computer casing back in the 80's, including Apple. Bleuuahgghhh. :eek: ;)

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
It does with really wide lapels.

Like the Edsel :D

I think that's true. Once you see the new unibodies upclose and touch them, there is such a difference. Anyone who says these look like HPs or something is insane.

The way that there is no more plastic trim around the edges, just metal on metal. Its futuristic looking. The way the glass curves in the metal border. The old one just looks old. It's beautiful, but really antique in comparison.

The old mbp has been around for almost a decade. It is time to move on.

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
It does with really wide lapels.

In fact UMBP'15 right now has ugly, wider lapels if you will.
(and UMBP'17 has more sane borders, which proves that it's possible)

Compared to 17", 15" looks like rushed out job, hence no time explore the all that same nV chipset has to offer : 8Gb RAM & even live GPU switching.

And given with the choice of bigger battery I'd choose it over flimsy battery cover, which is also a security threat (to easy to snatch your HDD).

Looks like we'll see it all on UMBP'15, but first you have to pay for it's re-development ;)))

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
In fact UMBP'15 right now has ugly, wider lapels if you will.
(and UMBP'17 has more sane borders, which proves that it's possible)

Compared to 17", 15" looks like rushed out job, hence no time explore the all that same nV chipset has to offer : 8Gb RAM & even live GPU switching.

And given with the choice of bigger battery I'd choose it over flimsy battery cover, which is also a security threat (to easy to snatch your HDD).

Looks like we'll see it all on UMBP'15, but first you have to pay for it's re-development ;)))

Why steal the hard drive when you can steal the whole thing?

You're talking out your butt cheeks. Just quit it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I've knew the CRT were awesome in the time, but it's actually the first time that I hear the glossy is as calibrate as matte. My teachers never spoke about matte vs glossy, but always heard matte was better. You put my in doubt, I'll try to lot around just to confirm your claim, or if it's just a myth that I through was real like you said.

I don't know if anyone has proven otherwise, but hardware calibration tools look at the colours coming out of the screen, and adjusts it to a standard. If the colours were too saturated before, it shouldn't be after you calibrate. That's the point of doing a hardware calibration. :)

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Thank you, you ¤%#%#¤ OP....
Now I hate the fact that I went with the matte option, the silver border looks like something out of a bad dream.

Wish I had seen this post sooner.
:)
Oh well, thanks for the pictures, just might have gone with the glossy and bought a matte cover instead. Permanent black color should do the trick or I will just have to get used to the silver.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Photo's came out straight from MacWorld showing the Matte option design, and there are even shots on the Apple website. It's your own fault for buying before fully understanding the product, so don't go flaming others for your stupidity...

Having said that, I don't mind the look. It's a personal preference as has been stated many times over in this thread.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Photo's came out straight from MacWorld showing the Matte option design, and there are even shots on the Apple website. It's your own fault for buying before fully understanding the product, so don't go flaming others for your stupidity...

Having said that, I don't mind the look. It's a personal preference as has been stated many times over in this thread.

Chill mate and read the sarcasm.

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
To be honest I really don't like the look of the Glossy 17". It is supposed to be a pro machine. The glass adds a bit to the look of the pro, but the plain metal bezel looks clean and professional.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Well, to the eys of some the black border gives a different view.
Everyone for what they like, illusions for the eye.
To me atleast, the black border looks cleaner, larger and warmer.
Maybe because I prefer black...

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
its teeeerrible. its sooo distracting. i can only stare at the distracting gray bezel. i cant work because my attention keeps getting drawn away from the screen to the distracting gray bezel. why would they do this?

the black is so much less distracting and im 300% less distracted.

Perhaps some ADD drugs would help?

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
Graphics weak--heck no!

Eh, the graphics card is weak. Not offering an option for a high end graphics card in the most powerful MBP is annoying. Will they ever offer a card for gaming?

The graphics card is not weak. It is powerful.

If all you care about is gaming, then you are born to use Windows. Leave us.

Go back to the dark side, Luke...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.