Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly updated their pages for the new 17" unibody MacBook Pro to reflect a change from accepting pre-orders to offering shipment in 7-10 business days for new orders. In addition, several international Apple online stores have added a "Now Shipping" badge to the 17" MacBook Pro ad on their front pages.

110512-banner_macbookpro_ca_090106.jpg

MacBook Pro ad banner from Apple's Canadian online store
The new 17" MacBook Pro was announced at Macworld San Francisco with availability planned for "late January". The updated machine adopts many of the design changes introduced in the 15" MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook in October 2008, but notably features a non-user-replaceable battery designed to provide 8-hour battery life and to retain up to 80% of its original capacity for up to 1000 charge cycles.

Users are encouraged to visit our MacBook Pro forum for the latest updates from users awaiting delivery of the new machines.

Article Link: 17" Unibody MacBook Pro Begins Shipping

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
Now, all the problems are almost solved... iLife & MBP already shipped...so... Apple is ready to release new iMacs :p!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wait, doesn't the new 17" start from $2,799?

Note the caption...the image is from the Canadian store, where it does start at $2999. The US and several other stores do not have 17" MBP ads on their front pages. Instead they have an iPod gift-wrapping ad for Valentine's Day. :)

hakr

macrumors regular
Yeah, I'm wondering how long it takes for a full charge.

No time at all. When the eight hours are done, so is the laptop! You then have to go out and buy another laptop!:D

This must be a machine for the desktop replacement crowd. I got rid of a nice 17" screen laptop (Windoze machine) to get a smaller and lighter 15" screen Macbook Pro. I wanted a complete computer, not an "air," and the 17" machine I had, which was not too heavy, was really a pain in the shoulder to lug around.

I have to admit an eight hour battery would be nice for airport or train use while traveling, though.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
Yeah, I'm wondering how long it takes for a full charge.

Hopefully will reach 80% within 2 hours and the other 20% another 2 hours?

Keep in mind it is using the same AC Adapter as the 15" MBP's:

85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord

Time will tell.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

This should make a lot of people happy.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
No time at all. When the eight hours are done, so is the laptop! You then have to go out and buy another laptop!:D

This must be a machine for the desktop replacement crowd. I got rid of a nice 17" screen laptop (Windoze machine) to get a smaller and lighter 15" screen Macbook Pro. I wanted a complete computer, not an "air," and the 17" machine I had, which was not too heavy, was really a pain in the shoulder to lug around.

I have to admit an eight hour battery would be nice for airport or train use while traveling, though.

Got to say this 1.1lb isnt a massive difference for a healthy adult.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
My reactions to this are mixed. On the one hand, I'm happy that it's finally shipping, for users who are interested in this Mac. On the other, I really don't like the design, and wouldn't buy it if I was in the market for a new Mac.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
They're gonna be really happy when they plug their dell (or Apple Cinema Display) 30" monitor in using the mini-display port to dual link DVI adapter and find distortion on their external monitor.

Nice. After paying $3,000 plus for a new unibody MacBook Pro and they get a lousy picture. And this is after Apple saying it supports 2560 x 1600 resolution external monitors. I've got the 15" unibody and I'm not happy.

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Note the caption...the image is from the Canadian store, where it does start at $2999. The US and several other stores do not have 17" MBP ads on their front pages. Instead they have an iPod gift-wrapping ad for Valentine's Day. :)

Aha! Good catch!

UFOGoldorak

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
WOOOOO!!!!!!!! my 2.93 BTO is still saying Feb 4th ship... This has been the longest january in history. This baby is replacing the first gen 2.4 15" MBP. :D

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
WOOOOO!!!!!!!! my 2.93 BTO is still saying Feb 4th ship... This has been the longest january in history. This baby is replacing the first gen 2.4 15" MBP. :D

You'll wish you had than first gen MBP if you plug in an external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.