Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just setting up my iPhone 6. First thoughts? It's lovely and think it's the best size. I had a good old feel of the plus in the store and am not so sure of it. It's very big.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
iPhone 6+ is far and away more beautiful than I had expected. Its very light. It's surprising. My android fan roomates even said it was worth the cost. The looks on their faces were everything! I bought the silver iPhone. The Gray and Gold are okay too. You really cant go wrong in terms if color.

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Here's the pic I posted on the 'What are you upgrading from?' thread, where I think I might win the award for biggest iPhone upgrade, going from a 3G to a 6. :)

attachment.php

Like lots of people, I don't like the antenna lines or the protruding camera. However… first impression of the phone (looking at the front) was a definite 'wow' from me. It's hard to ignore the appeal of a shiny new iPhone, and the rounded glass edges really do look great. I'm very happy with the size of the 6. And yes, it does feel 50 times faster than my old 3G!

My only real complaint so far is the position of the lock button. I can see why Apple put it there with the larger phones, but I find it's now awkward to adjust the volume, because my thumb often happens to be right over the lock button, and as Newton taught us all, for every button press there is an equal and opposite button press on the other side of the phone. I suspect over time I'll adjust the way I do this without even thinking (I'm already finding it a bit easier), but yeah… not ideal placement IMO.

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Just received mine

First impressions are a bit mixed...

Im not at all sure about the rounded glass edges - it makes the edges of any screen protector very obvious and liable to curl up over time imo.

And the back is definitely ugly with those antennas and protruding camera - not a problem in a case though.

I think i preferred the design of 4 and 5...

aamoren3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
First impressions are good! Size takes a moment to get used to... Also, it's slippery... In my MacRumors case until my Apple case gets here. :D

Attachments

• ADM_4895.jpg
    ADM_4895.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,731
Last edited:

MacDavidson2

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Dunoon, Scotland, UK
Stunning & dare I say 'a work of art! So good to have curved edges again, not had that since the 3GS. The 6 is bigger than I had anticipated & agree with the others that the 6+ felt too big & in my view it could reduce iPad Mini sales with no need for people to have a 6+ & an iPad Mini. What do you think? In closing "Best Mobile Ever' & I have not said that since 2009.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Really like the size of the 6. I can still hold it in one hand easily. The phone is very nice looking and the screen seems huge.

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
I have the iPhone 6 and It feels amazing. Really like the rounded edges, I also bought the leather case.
I needed a plus for my husband also but I'm very happy it was out of stock before i had my turn because he now agrees the 6 is also the right choice for him.
I also very impressed with the quality of the screen. A big step from the iphone 5.
Having a couple of teething problems with signal (mainly cellular). I'm going to keep an eye on it, it may be with the SIM change.
Overall very very happy. :apple:

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I was wondering is there any significant difference between the screen quality of iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s/c as they are both with the same amount of ppi?

TheYellowAudi

macrumors member
Just received my 6. WOW. What a gorgeous device. Unbelievable. I am truly in love with it. The Rounded glass screen is brilliant, and the screen size is perfect!

I was able to play with a 6 Plus in the store as I pre-ordered for in-store pick up, and it really is huge. Too big for my taste (also owning an iPad Air & a mini for work).

Fit and finish is exactly what you'd expect; & while I th the protruding camera lens might be a problem, it's not.
Final words: LOVE IT.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Here's the pic I posted on the 'What are you upgrading from?' thread, where I think I might win the award for biggest iPhone upgrade, going from a 3G to a 6. :)

Like lots of people, I don't like the antenna lines or the protruding camera. However… first impression of the phone (looking at the front) was a definite 'wow' from me. It's hard to ignore the appeal of a shiny new iPhone, and the rounded glass edges really do look great. I'm very happy with the size of the 6. And yes, it does feel 50 times faster than my old 3G!

My only real complaint so far is the position of the lock button. I can see why Apple put it there with the larger phones, but I find it's now awkward to adjust the volume, because my thumb often happens to be right over the lock button, and as Newton taught us all, for every button press there is an equal and opposite button press on the other side of the phone. I suspect over time I'll adjust the way I do this without even thinking (I'm already finding it a bit easier), but yeah… not ideal placement IMO.

Holy crap! I did not realize there was such a difference! I thought this was a 6+ just looking at it. Nice!

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
6 plus here...

It will definitely take some getting used to the size, but I think I will love it. I'm a girl and mostly carry my phone in my purse, I don't have an ipad and I don't talk on the phone all that much so I think it fits my needs perfectly. I feel a little funny playing around with it at work, its the farthest thing from inconspicuous. I think feeling a little self conscious about its size will wear off as I get used to it.

the display is AMAZING. I feel like i'm touching the content directly beneath my finger tips, and not through a slab of glass. Can't wait to play with it some more after work!

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Edited/Re-Posted First Impression Review

The new iPhone 6 is beautiful - reminiscent of the original iPhone with its curves. The screen is beautiful. The colors pop out I now understand why Samsung users have been mocking Apple iPhone users.

First impression after using the phone, honestly, I don't like the size. I went with the iPhone 6 instead of the 6 Plus because I knew I didn't want this huge brick. I wanted something smaller, light and will easily fit my shirt or lab coat pocket. I was hoping the iPhone 6 would fit my hands just fine.

I'm 5'10", size 10.5 shoes with medium sized hands and this size phone feels a bit large. With one hand, I can easily turn on the phone, put in my password and generally have ok control over the device but I can't reach all four corners of the screen comfortably. I'm right handed, and with my right thumb, I am unable to reach the distant left corner. The case I purchased adds a bit more width to the phone. Without the case on, I can reach the distant left corner, but not comfortably. The size of the iPhone 5 is perfect for me. People with bigger hands will like the size of the 6. I don't know if anyone can comfortably use the 6 Plus with one hand. Maybe Yao Ming can.

The power button is perfect where it is. Its easily accessible with the thumb. If it had been on the upper top right corner as in previous generations, it would have been difficult for me to power the device down with one hand. Likewise, the location of the volume buttons and vibration switch are perfect.

I'm not really into screen real estate size as I don't do a lot on my phone except use it as a phone, organizer, a few medical applications, music, audiobooks, browsing the web, bimmerpost app and take some pictures/videos of the kids. For more serious pictures, I use my DSLR.

Having the better camera is useful so that feature is a plus. I'm sure it will take better videos than my DSLR.

I love having 128gb. I just put on my phone all the playlists I want with plenty of room to spare. I'll have all the music I want during my work outs. The larger size will make it much more difficult to use this thing at the gym. When I work out, I just put my phone in my pocket. Having this bigger phone in my pocket won't be as comfortable. Even if I get some type of case to clip it onto my shorts, this thing is too big.

For me, a phone the same size as the 5s with a faster processor, improved camera, new rounded case design would've been perfect. I was able to comfortably hold it in my hand and reach all parts of the screen with my thumb. If I'm too uncomfortable with this thing during daily use, I'll discourage my wife from getting the 6 Plus, give this to my wife and I'll go buy the 5s. The wife takes care of the kids so the improved camera will be more useful for her.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Really liking the 6 Plus. The vibrate setting is a jackhammer. Lol. It is a tricky trying to type in landscape mode. Apple didn't position the keyboard right...too close or something. It's awesome in the straight up viewing angle. The apps need optimized something fierce. The stock apps are sweet but Instagram, etc is straight garbage looking. All in all I love the way the 6 plus feels in hand. People are really going to like the bigger size. Apple made to wear it feels way better than one would expect. A definite must try before you buy the 4.7 and regret not having all that extra real estate. I will be looking for other keyboard styles for sure though.

cbird007

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
Really liking the 6 Plus. The vibrate setting is a jackhammer. Lol. It is a tricky trying to type in landscape mode. Apple didn't position the keyboard right...too close or something. It's awesome in the straight up viewing angle. The apps need optimized something fierce. The stock apps are sweet but Instagram, etc is straight garbage looking. All in all I love the way the 6 plus feels in hand. People are really going to like the bigger size. Apple made to wear it feels way better than one would expect. A definite must try before you buy the 4.7 and regret not having all that extra real estate. I will be looking for other keyboard styles for sure though.

Still waiting for mine to be delivered...does the keyboard allow you to split like on the iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.