Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
There may be a bug impacting iOS 8 where the mail sound appears to be playing the tone twice, overlapping so it sounds like an echo. Original thread here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1786228/

For those experiencing this, are you using a custom tone (i.e. created or purchased) or one of the iOS stock tones? Also, what device(s) are you experiencing this on?

I'm using a custom tone that I made and it's happening on my iP6+. I have notifications off on my iPad mini so I haven't noticed on there.

***UPDATE** IT APPEARS THAT 8.0.2 HAS NOT FIXED THIS ISSUE.

Last edited:

plastus

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Default (Ding) tone for regular e-mails...echo.
Custom tone for VIP e-mails...echo.

Tried resetting tones, and changing them manually but it only seems to help for a short while. Tones will overlap quickly, or sometimes there's a delay where it appears that two e-mails came in but it's really just a duplicate sound notification.

josiemorehouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
iPhone 6 iOS8, custom tone, only happening with mail notifications (so far). Doesn't do it when I switch tones in Sounds menu, only when I actually receive mail.

I have tried killing all apps and hard rebooting, no difference. My husband has the same device (iPhone 6 with iOS8), and his doesn't have the echo.

Last edited:

YoNadz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Default (Ding) tone for regular e-mails...echo.
Custom tone for VIP e-mails...echo.

Tried resetting tones, and changing them manually but it only seems to help for a short while. Tones will overlap quickly, or sometimes there's a delay where it appears that two e-mails came in but it's really just a duplicate sound notification.

Where are you creating separate tones for different emails?? I've got my personal Gmail account and a work email account set up, but can only find a setting to change the work sound under the sound settings. No idea where the Gmail sound selector is.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Wow, either this is relatively isolated phenomenon, others haven't noticed or haven't bothered to post about it. :confused:

Csaro

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
My iPhone 5 did this after upgrading to iOS 8, my new iPhone 6 does it too. Custom tones and default Ding affected.

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I am having this problem with my iPhone 6 as well! Very annoying. Seems to go away for awhile after rebooting.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have/had this issue.

iPhone 6
Custom tone/bzz (on vibration)
ECHO

when I started to get email I thought it was the BUZZ for text messages. nope. oh, maybe I got 2 emails...Nope.

I think it is now normal, just got two emails but didm;t notice any vibration this time.

I might try shutting off and restarting it.

I just got an email and had the ECHO.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Yes, it's occurring. It's like it's playing it twice with a small overlap between them.

One thing I notice - there are TWO places to enter the new mail sound:

Settings > Notifications > Mail > iCloud > Notification Sound (I use iCloud mail)

Settings > Sounds > New Mail

I wonder if it is playing both. When I get a chance I will try disabling one (if it's possible)

Anyone know the difference between these two sound settings

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I, too, experienced this problem after upgrading to iOS 8. I had VIP emails set to give me full notifications (audible, vibration, banners, lockscreen, etc.) and all other emails set only to vibrate and collect in notification center.

I think I basically turned off all the email notifications and slowly set it back up the way it was, and now seems to be working fine again.

c0dal

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
I've noticed this also. It happens using the default Note sound as well as the Aurora sound. I've also noticed that emails that are forwarded to my main email account (which is iCloud) utilize the default Note sound even if I have my main sound set to Aurora. Frustrating.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
So weird. I get the echo bug only when my iPhone is locked. I have it set on silent, vibration, staccato.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I submitted it several days ago but the more that submit it, the more likely it gets addressed quickly.

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I have had this twice a day for 3 days now. Every time I reboot my phone the problem stops. It only seems to happen when my phone is locked and I receive an email.

For now I have had to turn off new mail notifications for both my email accounts under notifications. Turning off the new mail notification under sounds doesn't seem to do anything...

I did submit this using Apple's feedback site as a bug yesterday.

Hopefully, Apple fixes this.

lotorus

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Same issue using a custom self-made tone on my 6+. Never had an issue since iphone 4, iphone 5 and ios4-ios7

Ajmettel

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Same thing happens on my iPhone 4s everytime I receive a new email it gives me a double echo sound. I use "calypso" for my email sound not custom. It is so annoying! Hope fix comes soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.