Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has released an update for its Office 2016 for Mac suite that addresses multiple security vulnerabilities, fixes bugs and adds select new features across Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook.

Word-2016-Mac.jpg

Version 15.8.0 allows Outlook to be used in full-screen mode for viewing multiple messages or invitations side by side. The update also makes it easier to find available Outlook conference rooms at your desired meeting time.

In Word, PDF files can now be saved to flash drives. Meanwhile, Excel and PowerPoint have gained new selection panes to keep track of worksheet objects and slideshow objects respectively, and rearrange their placement and order.

In OneNote, shapes can now be added to notebook pages and now support the built-in shapes gallery. OneNote, Excel and PowerPoint all received general bug fixes.

The free update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate within Office 2016 for Mac, or the Microsoft Download Center, and requires OS X Yosemite 10.10 or later and a valid Office 365 subscription.

Article Link: Office 2016 for Mac Updated With Full Screen Outlook and More

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Outlook seriously just got fullscreen support?

EDIT: Checked, and omg, it doesn't have support. So terrible.

Reactions: Jamalien

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
They still don't have a small delta update for these patches. You have to download over 3GB of data every time they update Office 2016. What gives?

Last edited:
Reactions: OttawaGuy

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
On some computers, even with SSDs, it still launches with 10+ bounces. This is UNACCEPTABLE whereas the Windows version works very fast (1-2 sec launch time). Compare that with 2011 launch times: 2-3 bounces and it was ready.

Granted, on some Macs, it opens rather fast but there is indubitably a bug there which causes certain older Macs to die waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

MacStrategy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2016
United Kingdom

The free update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate within Office 2016 for Mac, or the Microsoft Download Center, and requires OS X Yosemite 10.10 or later and a valid Office 365 subscription.

Nope - a valid Office 365 subscription is not required. Office 2016 15.8.0 updates are available for perpetual and volume license users too.

MacStrategy

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2016
United Kingdom
They still don't have a small combo update for these patches. You have to download over 3GB of data every time they update Office 2016. What gives?

A "small combo" update is not possible. The point of a "combo" update is to included all previous patches too. You mean why don't Microsoft have smaller "delta" updates - well they do. If you download the updates from the download web site you get a "combo" update. If you use the included Microsoft AutoUpdate application/utility (version 3.2 or later) you get the smaller "delta" updates for Office 2016.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
On my 27 inch iMac? Heavens no. On my 13 inch MacBook Pro? Absolutely I use it, it adds a surprising amount of UI real estate.

If I had an 11 inch MacBook Air? It would be invaluable.

Vast majority of us have no need for it as it hides the dock and menu, ultimately making multitasking a pain in the ass. It really is a redundant feature, one that is actually detrimental to getting things done quickly. Apple should just add an option in system settings to make the green button act as a 'maximize window' without going into fullscreen. It'd satisfy everyone.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Another 4gb of updates for 4 apps - Microsoft seem to love rolling these out without any delta updates every few weeks, its a right PITA!

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
A "small combo" update is not possible. The point of a "combo" update is to included all previous patches too. You mean why don't Microsoft have smaller "delta" updates - well they do. If you download the updates from the download web site you get a "combo" update. If you use the included Microsoft AutoUpdate application/utility (version 3.2 or later) you get the smaller "delta" updates for Office 2016.

They're still 800mb per applications though!

Reactions: JD92

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
They're still 800mb per applications though!
I'm pretty sure it is re-downloading the entire Office suite every time it updates. 800MB x 5 applications (if you include OneNote).

And to the other poster - Microsoft have never offered delta updates for Office 2016 Mac, either on their website or through Autoupdate. They used to do it all the time for Office 2011 (updates were only around 200MB or so) but for some reason they stopped doing it.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Are word and excel 2016 still using more CPU than Office 2011? I've frequently seen Word use around 50% of CPU for a normal 3000 word essay! Didn't have this problem with Office 2011.

Reactions: JD92

JoshDoug

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Vast majority of us have no need for it as it hides the dock and menu, ultimately making multitasking a pain in the ass. It really is a redundant feature, one that is actually detrimental to getting things done quickly. Apple should just add an option in system settings to make the green button act as a 'maximize window' without going into fullscreen. It'd satisfy everyone.
I use it, it's great. Hardly makes multitasking a pain, just use CMD Tab or ctrl arrow key.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
It's funny because nobody uses fullscreen.

Really?

Every application I use is in full-screen. Notification Center keeps me informed but I do all of my work in full screen except when I need to do work in multiple MS Excel windows. MBP Core i7 Retina w/ 24" Dell 4K UltraSharp display.

I'm reading this thread in full-screen. Running these apps all in full-screen:
  • Reeder
  • Mail
  • Slack
  • iCal
  • Excel
  • Outlook
  • Photos

Bbedit and Deliveries and Lync are in Window mode

Photos:
OHa3fvy.jpg

wljGOv3.jpg

You can make a generalization that "Fullscreen is used by very few people" but saying "nobody users it" is technically incorrect.

there are dozens of us! :)

===============

The more important feature Microsoft Office has yet to adopt is Multi-Core support for more than 2 cores. The average file-size of my MS Excel documents is 50 megabytes. Some of them are 80MB.

The fact that I have a beach-ball w/ only 2 of my 8 cores used(Core i7 Quad-Core and Hyperthreading) and my computer isn't even breaking a sweat yet MS Office is costing me valuable time....it's embarrassing. It sometimes takes 60 seconds to render some operations and the CPU could take on more tasks if Office would adopt Grand Central and Full Cocoa

Last edited:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I use it, it's great. Hardly makes multitasking a pain, just use CMD Tab or ctrl arrow key.

Personally, I find very little use for full-screen apps on Mac. The only one that I have used with any kind of regularity is iPhoto/Photos, when going through my album, as it cleans up the interface a good bit. But the split-screen multitasking is an absolute kludge of an implementation, and might as well just work with a windowed environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.