Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's newest iPad Pro, the 9.7-inch model, made its way into the hands of customers on March 31, and now that a day has passed, many people who purchased the powerful little tablet have shared their thoughts on the device on our forums.

ipadpro97inchlineup-800x530.jpg

Reviews and impressions from media sites came out earlier this month, but there are always new details and small tidbits of information that come out when products see a wide release. First impressions from actual Apple consumers can also be valuable for those considering a purchase, so we've gathered up some of the details MacRumors readers have shared about the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

A thread querying users about their happiness level with the new iPad Pro suggests opinions on the device are largely positive. More than half of respondents said the device is "amazing" or a "great upgrade." While some are upgrading from an iPad Air 2 or earlier, there are buyers who traded their 12.9-inch iPad Pros for the smaller models. MacRumors reader Traverse outlined a long list of positives about his iPad Pro, highlighting the speed improvements over the iPad Air 2.

ipadproheader-1.jpg
Noticeably faster performance than my Air 2. I loved the Air 2 and never thought of it as slow and expected the A9X to yield no real world benefit in day to day use. I think a combination of that and the NAND flash improvements are huge. Apps install faster, many app launches are noticeably faster. The Music app is nearly instant open whereas the Air 2 took 2-3 seconds. I set up my iPad as new and launched Sky Guide for the first time by accident when I was putting it's widget in NC and by the time NC swiped up the app was already loaded and waiting :eek:. It's noticeable more zippy.
The True Tone display, unique to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, is getting some rave reviews, but not all iPad Pro owners are fans of the yellowing of the display. Patriot24 says it's "insanely great," but BitSlap says he prefers bright and crisp whites. On the whole, most readers seem to like the feature quite a bit.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 9.7-inch iPad Pro First Impressions: Major Improvement Over iPad Air 2, True Tone Display is Great

i like mine so far, it's fast. i did however turn off true-tone, i can't stand the color change in the screen.
I haven't tried it at all, but I would recommend just leaving it on for a few days and see if you still feel the same way. I could see it being weird when you first turn it on, but I bet it just fades into normality pretty quickly.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I was ready to purchase, but the premium for me is not acceptable. Added value yes, but not that much. I think we see the first price drop this summer, than aim for the Black Friday sale. At least this is my prediction for many of the install base customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
I can't justify $200 for this over the Air 2 I'm sorry. I'm sure others can but if you use it mostly for web browsing and playing around in a few apps then no, just no.

If that's all you use for your iPadAir2 you should just bought an Air1 or iPad4

Reactions: chrisbru

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Big improvement on Air (first gen) that it will replace, True Tone is a delight and, so far, I love it. Faster, better screen, better camera, Touch-id & better sound too - also slightly smaller (thinner) & lighter than Air. Debating a keyboard and/or Pencil but so far, so good

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The 9.7" iPad Pro is my first iPad. I've long sought something to fill the gap between my phone and iMac, since I hate notebooks. (Nothing personal—just I'm used to desktop OSes on my huge 27" display.)

I'm sold. The iPad actually fills that gap. It's impressive.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"but Cakefish points out that the speakers are prone to vibrating at high volume levels, much like the iPad Air 2"

There is a bit of vibration at maximum levels BUT who's using their iPad at maximum sound?

Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Complicated product line is the result of businessman being the CEO.
What is so complicated? Two generations of iPad Minis, two generations of 9.7" iPads plus one 12.9" iPad. How different is that to previous years?
[doublepost=1459542210][/doublepost]
Apple, you are no different than websites that love to spam people with ads. You need to stop selling same products every 6 months.
You mean 'How dare they not to release all A9-based products at the same time'?

Reactions: RedOrchestra

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
"but Cakefish points out that the speakers are prone to vibrating at high volume levels, much like the iPad Air 2"

There is a bit of vibration at maximum levels BUT who's using their iPad at maximum sound?

Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I was listening at maximum levels and didn't find it to be an issue at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.