Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus creeping closer, rumors about the two devices have been leaking out at a rapid pace, offering a lot of conflicting information that makes it difficult to narrow down the features that might be included.

Images of a set of molds and schematics said to be for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have surfaced on Chinese site Baidu and were shared by HDBlog, but as with all the alleged iPhone 7 renderings, schematics, and dummies floating around, the authenticity of the parts in the images cannot be confirmed.

molds1-800x561.jpg
iPhone 7 mold on left, iPhone 7 Plus mold on right​

According to the source on Baidu, the molds in the images are plates used during the finishing process of creating the aluminum casing for the devices. There are plates for both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, confirming multiple rumors of a dual-lens camera for the larger-screened device and a single camera for the smaller device.

In line with past rumors, the iPhone 7 plate appears to depict a larger camera, perhaps to accommodate an improved sensor to boost image quality in the 4.7-inch iPhone. The 4.7-inch iPhone will not include dual cameras, but we expect Apple will introduce some significant single camera advancements to make up for the lack of dual cameras.

molds2-800x500.jpg
Schematics depicting design of iPhone 7 Plus mold​

Not pictured on either plate is a Smart Connector, a feature the iPhone 7 has been rumored to be adopting from the iPad Pro. Early on in the rumor cycle, a device said to be the iPhone 7 Plus depicted a Smart Connector, and it was featured in design drawings and blueprints, but Japanese site Mac Otakara has said Apple eliminated the feature.

It's possible the Smart Connector is simply not included on the plates and that the holes are added at a later point in the manufacturing process. If a Smart Connector is indeed a feature coming in the iPhone 7, rumors indicate it will be limited to the larger iPhone 7 Plus.

Not visible on either plate is the speaker arrangement. Apple is said to be eliminating the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, with some rumors suggesting additional speakers could be added in its place. Some rumors suggested dual speakers were a possibility and a sketchy device image that surfaced over the weekend depicted a four speaker arrangement, but other rumors and evidence point towards the continued use of a single speaker.

Apple will likely introduce the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus in September of 2016, which means there are several more months ahead in which the rumors we're hearing about the two devices will solidify so we can get a clearer picture of what to expect.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Molds Confirm Camera Layouts, Lack Smart Connector

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
With all the conflicting rumors, the only thing that I like about this one is that the hand has more fingers than the previous batch of photos. :D

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
No, I am not going to get the huge-ass phablet just for the dual cameras. Put them in the 4.7" iPhone as well.

The only differentiating factor between the normal and the Plus model should be the size and battery life (since bigger phone=bigger battery).

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
No, I am not going to get the huge-ass phablet just for the dual cameras. Put them in the 4.7" iPhone as well.

The only differentiating factor between the normal and the Plus model should be the size and battery life (since bigger phone=bigger battery).

Maybe there's not enough cubic volume to put a dual lens camera in the 4.7". iOS already has some different features for the larger phone. Btw, love my 6s+. :D

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
During the last earning call the Apple PR spinsters were dampening expectation.
Now this disinformation campaign is just confusing everyone.
You earned that wage - Apple PR machine - best disinformation campaign by a long shot!

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I just hope the 7 has a better camera than the current one for low light, I get so jealous of the pictures I see Galaxy owners take. I was at the All-Star race Saturday night, all my pics were grainy especially when zooming and the lady in front of me had a Galaxy and her pics looked beautiful and when she zoomed they were crystal clear

Reactions: 5105973

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
I'm no "Plus" fan and I like the smaller iPhone models but it seems that I have no luck using any camera invitation. Started with the first Plus model with hardware image stabilisation. Always wanted that, never liked the plus size. Same thing is going to happen with the new camera. Hate that. Gives me the feeling that I have to deal with the second best phone. Just don't get it with this strategy.

Last edited:

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
iphone 5 owner in desperate need of an upgrade but this iphone 7 sounds crap. I hope apple have something better than the rumours.

Reactions: Virinprew

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
iphone 5 owner in desperate need of an upgrade but this iphone 7 sounds crap. I hope apple have something better than the rumours.

If you are in desperate need, than the upgrade is worth it. I moved from 5s to 6s+ and I am extremely happy about it.
Upgrading from 6S+ to this 7, however...

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Although we are seeing lots of rumours I think it's pretty clear-cut what the lineup will look like.

iPhone 7 - Headphone jack, single camera lens and 2GB of RAM.

iPhone 7 Plus - NO headphone jack, dual-cameras and 3GB of RAM.

I think they will be the three main differences. Let people know that, eventually, the headphone jack will be gone for good when the iPhone 8 comes out which will include AirPods (true wireless earphones with no lead connecting the two earbuds).

Reactions: brianvictor7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.