Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Holy rumor Monday. I can only imagine what WWDC will bring after its completed. Either way, The iPhone 7 rumors are starting to heat up. Next up, Mac Book Pro's please!

Reactions: ray6712

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
offering a lot of conflicting information that makes it difficult to narrow down the features that might be included.

Isn't this the truth. I am not sure what to make of all these conflicting rumors.

My hopes are that there will be a 4 inch iPhone 7 that is not nerfed. I hope it keeps the phono plug for the earbud headset, and has a decent camera. Also, I hope it is available in 128GB storage size.

I have been using an iPhone 6s Plus, and will never get a phone this big again. Since I had it, the size has been annoying, except if I was sitting and had 2 hands on it.

But, two weeks ago, my wife had to get an emergency c-section, and our daughter was born premature. She will be in the NICU until July, and my wife was in the ICU until a few days ago. Since my wife was unable to see her baby, I spent all my time I could with the baby, and I found out that I hated my iPhone 6s Plus.

Trying to hold my daughter on my chest, while taking pictures of us with one hand ended up being a huge hassle. I wanted to take pictures with my daughter, but the 6s Plus is just about impossible to use one handed.

So, I hope the 7 has a 4" model. Still no rumors for it, but I hoping.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I thought iPhones were machined from solid - why would a mold be needed to manufacture it?

Unless they do a close to finish casting and then machine it to final shape?

nicovh

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Nederland
Enough small talk about minor iPhone upgrade crap.

Where are the MacBook Pro rumours!!!???

image.gif

Reactions: 5105973

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
It's a no brainer for people on Next ho want to stay on it.

But, if true, A10, 3gb ram, 256gb Storage along with the Dual camera may enough for many folks. Especially 4k video users.

sford56

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Mexico City
Well, those are definitely not molds, and they wouldn't be used in the anodizing process for the cases either. If I were guessing (and I am), I'd say they are some sort of check fixture, or plug gauge used to check the quality of the machined parts. (location and fit of apple logo, and camera openings, etc.). That, of course, is assuming they are legit.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It's wishful thinking to imagine that Apple will introduce more than one new feature or significant improvement in a single model change. Their product evolution is calculated to maximize and sustain upgrade purchasing (Who else releases so-called S models months after a primary product change?) As long as Apple can withhold and spoonfeed its customers improvements, it will continue to do so.

Reactions: 5105973

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
There's still a camera bump, so they may as well include the dual cameras in the 4.7" model. Not gonna haul around a 5.5" brick for an exclusive feature.
[doublepost=1464040869][/doublepost]
It's wishful thinking to imagine that Apple will introduce more than one new feature or significant improvement in a single model change. Their product evolution is calculated to maximize and sustain upgrade purchasing (Who else releases so-called S models months after a primary product change?) As long as Apple can withhold and spoonfeed its customers improvements, it will continue to do so.

They release it a year after, but I agree with your point. There have been minimal improvements and no innovation. The 6 and the 6S look identical and the SE is beyond lazy.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
No, I am not going to get the huge-ass phablet just for the dual cameras. Put them in the 4.7" iPhone as well.

The only differentiating factor between the normal and the Plus model should be the size and battery life (since bigger phone=bigger battery).

That would make the normal size one same price as the plus model. Then Apple can't advertise $650 base model.

Jdanner46

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016

With the launch of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus creeping closer, rumors about the two devices have been leaking out at a rapid pace, offering a lot of conflicting information that makes it difficult to narrow down the features that might be included.

Images of a set of molds and schematics said to be for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have surfaced on Chinese site Baidu and were shared by HDBlog, but as with all the alleged iPhone 7 renderings, schematics, and dummies floating around, the authenticity of the parts in the images cannot be confirmed.

molds1-800x561.jpg

iPhone 7 mold on left, iPhone 7 Plus mold on right
According to the source on Baidu, the molds in the images are plates used during the finishing process of creating the aluminum casing for the devices. There are plates for both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, confirming multiple rumors of a dual-lens camera for the larger-screened device and a single camera for the smaller device.

In line with past rumors, the iPhone 7 plate appears to depict a larger camera, perhaps to accommodate an improved sensor to boost image quality in the 4.7-inch iPhone. The 4.7-inch iPhone will not include dual cameras, but we expect Apple will introduce some significant single camera advancements to make up for the lack of dual cameras.

molds2-800x500.jpg

Schematics depicting design of iPhone 7 Plus mold
Not pictured on either plate is a Smart Connector, a feature the iPhone 7 has been rumored to be adopting from the iPad Pro. Early on in the rumor cycle, a device said to be the iPhone 7 Plus depicted a Smart Connector, and it was featured in design drawings and blueprints, but Japanese site Mac Otakara has said Apple eliminated the feature.

It's possible the Smart Connector is simply not included on the plates and that the holes are added at a later point in the manufacturing process. If a Smart Connector is indeed a feature coming in the iPhone 7, rumors indicate it will be limited to the larger iPhone 7 Plus.

Not visible on either plate is the speaker arrangement. Apple is said to be eliminating the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, with some rumors suggesting additional speakers could be added in its place. Some rumors suggested dual speakers were a possibility and a sketchy device image that surfaced over the weekend depicted a four speaker arrangement, but other rumors and evidence point towards the continued use of a single speaker.

Apple will likely introduce the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus in September of 2016, which means there are several more months ahead in which the rumors we're hearing about the two devices will solidify so we can get a clearer picture of what to expect.

Article Link: Possible iPhone 7 and 7 Plus Molds Confirm Camera Layouts, Lack Smart Connector
Who cares is just another nothing new. Apple needs a huge improvement to get me to buy

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Hmm seriously how do they plan to sell them? I mean for sure they will be more expensive because extra features... Which are useless... I want more battery life, which is impossible if the phone is thinner or you add extra sensors/speakers... I agree more speed is great but... C mon... It is already fast enough... 4G lte I barely reach 30 Mb in average... Who care to have lte advanced plus at 300/500 Mb ? Faster touch Id?? Fast enough to to me on my 6... No seriously the next useful thing would be water resistant, wireless charging and improved battery life... Dual cameras 4 speakers... Just reducing space for battery...

Reactions: Col4bin

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
(yawns)
[doublepost=1464038879][/doublepost]I can't be the only one infuriated by them putting the best specs on the largest screen.

It does bother me as well. I was thinking about going back to the 4.7 inch phone next upgrade but they aren't differentiating on battery and screen size alone. I probably will still go back down to 4.7 but only if in 2017 things are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: naeS1Sean

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
They seriously need to call this phone the iPhone 6SS. It doesn't deserve the iPhone 7 name if the lack of new features rumors turn out to be true.

Reactions: naeS1Sean

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Can't wait to see it, but I won't be buying it. Hopefully I will get to travel to the states later this year so I can play with it at the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.