Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eddy-Cue.jpg
Apple executive Eddy Cue, who oversees services like the iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Siri, Maps, and iAd, sat down for a wide-ranging interview with The Hollywood Reporter about the future of Apple TV, the company's relationship with Hollywood studios, and more.

When questioned about the original programming space, Cue said Apple is not in the business of trying to create TV shows, nor is it trying to compete with the likes of Netflix or Comcast. Instead, he said Apple may "help" producers, as it is doing for Planet of the Apps.
We're not in the business of trying to create TV shows. If we see it being complementary to the things we're doing at Apple Music or if we see it being something that's innovative on our platform, we may help them and guide them and make suggestions. But we're not trying to compete with Netflix or compete with Comcast.
Cue also downplayed rumors about Apple's interest in purchasing Time Warner, stating that the company is "not actively trying to buy any studio" right now.
In general, there's always a lot of speculation across many different companies, and some of that relates to the fact that we have a lot of money and so, therefore, we can afford to make acquisitions. So we have a lot of discussions with [Time Warner], but I don't want to speculate. We're not -- at this point, certainly -- actively trying to buy any studio.
Cue said Apple is only interested in entering the content space when the projects are tied to its existing products, which for now is Apple Music.
The rest of it is about giving [talent] a platform that allows them to be creative in new ways. If I was an agent, I would be very, very excited about what Apple is doing because it lets the people that I represent be able to do more.
Cue said he makes business trips to Los Angeles, where Apple has a growing team surrounding Apple Music and Beats, about five to six times per month. Apple's relationship with Hollywood, which began with Steve Jobs, is said to have "gotten better and better" over time as the industry warms up to Silicon Valley.

Yesterday, Apple posted an open casting call for its upcoming original TV show Planet of the Apps, an unscripted program about apps and the people who make them. The series will be spearheaded by executive producers will.i.am, Ben Silverman, and Howard Owens, with filming to take place in Los Angeles in late 2016 and early 2017.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Says Apple 'Not Trying to Create TV Shows,' But Willing to Help Where Possible

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Find it interesting he mentions this:

"and some of that relates to the fact that we have a lot of money"

Apple execs have been circumspect about how they discuss the company's wealth.

Reactions: Deuce2

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
Is it just me or is this not exactly the area that I'd like to see Apple get more involved with, creating there own tv shows and movies.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015

There is nothing circumspect about the fact that Apple has a lot of money.

And that's not even really him saying "we have a lot of money." That's him saying "A lot of this is based on the impression that we have a lot of money."

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

That's just speculation.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
So basically... They're not trying to "create" TV shows, they're just creating a couple of TV shows...
They're known for their advertisements, and "Planet of the apps" is definitely an advertisement in spirit. And of course, advertisements are very "complementary to the things they're doing"

Reactions: djcerla

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I'm so glad that the world is full of people who know how to evaluate talent so much better than those who are hired to run the richest company in the world.

He has been responsible for some of Apple's worst products for years and things aren't getting any better.

If you think he is the right man for the job, I think you are in a minority.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He has been responsible for some of Apple's worst products for years and things aren't getting any better.

If you think he is the right man for the job, I think you are in a minority.
iCloud should be given to someone else. Perhaps if he could focus 100% on iTunes, Music and TV they would get better.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple is right to be cautious with Hollywood. Hollywood right now does not trust Silicon Valley completely. They have seen what happened to the music industry and they will fight to the last man to avoid that. What Apple seems to be doing is showing them that they can be an asset to Hollywood. A platform for talent to distribute content.

I think though that they should purchase Time Warner Inc. It would give them a lot more bargaining power with content distributors (cable/satellite) as well as other content owners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.