Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Well that's not going to be an option anymore, so the solution for you is to stop whining and find a pw manager to suit your needs. I have no concerns about the government coming after my passwords or notes that are in 1Password, and even if they did, they still don't have my real passwords because I leave out part of the true passwords from the ones stored in 1Password (as I described earlier in the thread). If the government is after you that badly, they'll just break down your door anyway and get to your local vault on your personal computer.

Which my 4A and 5A rights come into play, which yours will not when they simply ask by subpoena to get to yours at a 3rd party. That is the difference. But hey, you be you.

BL.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Which my 4A and 5A rights come into play, which yours will not when they simply ask by subpoena to get to yours at a 3rd party. That is the difference. But hey, you be you.

BL.

So then don't use the new version of 1Password or any other cloud-based pw manager if you're that paranoid about it. I'm not. I AM being me. How about you be you and just move onto what you consider green pastures instead of whining about the pasture you're in now? You have choices. 1Password doesn't owe you anything. Not sure what else to say to you aside from that, so this will be my final comment to you.

Reactions: agoodpub

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Looks like I am going from long term 1Password happy customer to being in a bad relationship due to no standalone license. That Electron move is another reason to abandon 1Password. I feel bad, as it has been a great product for many years and it seems they have great people behind it. Subscription model doesn't make sense to me, not for a password manager that works great for me as standalone. It also makes the product much more expensive for no good reason. As I am almost certain they won't reconsider this "upgrade" moves I am starting my search for a long term password manager replacement. I'll use 1Password 7 while it is still functional. Really sad.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I've been using it full-time for the last few months. I'd say it is pretty close to being as stable as our 1Password 7 beta releases. That said there are a few features currently missing that we want to add before the stable release. Feedback from users will also help drive what is essential before stable.

Standalone vaults will not be available in 1Password 8. Additional details can be found here.
Well, that kills one portion of my use case for 1p, will icloud and dropbox stored vaults still be available as cloud backends? If not that destroys my whole use case for 1p ?

EDIT: seems like I read this too narrowly and indeed the only storage option will be 1p’s cloud. Looks like I’ll be switching off the app unless y’all will come to your senses before release

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I’ve seen a number of times posted that VC funding may be a cause or reason for 1Password 8 to go the non-native route etc. — something like that.

I don’t understand. Could someone explain how any of this development is related to venture capitalist funding? Genuine question.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
I suppose that now that Apple is bringing Keychain to Windows, many in the Apple-centric world will just simply stick to Keychain since iOS, macOS and Windows will all now be in sync.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I’ve seen a number of times posted that VC funding may be a cause or reason for 1Password 8 to go the non-native route etc. — something like that.

I don’t understand. Could someone explain how any of this development is related to venture capitalist funding? Genuine question.
My understanding is that unifying development under Electron for all platforms allows them to cut/streamline development costs otherwise they have to maintain separate development teams/tracks for each platform Mac/Windows on the desktop side and Android/iOS on the mobile side.

jdwusami

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Michigan
Not going to pay for a slow electron app, if I’m forced to migrate to a slow memory hog like Teams I’m going to move the three companies I work for off 1Password and my own family plan. Horrible mistake to end the native Mac all.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
My understanding is that unifying development under Electron for all platforms allows them to cut/streamline development costs otherwise they have to maintain separate development teams/tracks for each platform Mac/Windows on the desktop side and Android/iOS on the mobile side.
Thanks. I understand that part, but don’t understand the connection with VC funding.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks. I understand that part, but don’t understand the connection with VC funding.
The view is that once the VC's came on board the pressure to cut costs and increase revenue & profitability was a key driver in the decision matrix to move to Electron.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
I suppose that now that Apple is bringing Keychain to Windows, many in the Apple-centric world will just simply stick to Keychain since iOS, macOS and Windows will all now be in sync.

Unfortunately Keychain is not even close to being able to replace 1Password. And passwords in the keychain are also stored in the cloud. My main concern with 1PW 8 is not the subscription (which I do not like but may live with) but the removal of local vaults.

There is no way I will store all of my password in some cloud, regardless of the provider.

Reactions: seek3r

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
The view is that once the VC's came on board the pressure to cut costs and increase revenue & profitability was a key driver in the decision matrix to move to Electron.
I see. So it's like a carrot and stick situation:
Carrot: we have money here that you want!
Stick: but we not giving it unless you do a, b, c.

Mm...interesting. I have heard lots of complaints re: Electron etc. I can only conceptually understand since I have no programming experience, but it is an interesting discussion. I won't be trying out 1Password 8 any time soon since that requires both a subscription and it gets rid of local vaults. Sorry, not doing that.

I've heard such great things about how much energy the M1 chip saves and the performance it gives. Imagine if a lot of that was negated by 1Password being a resource hog. ???

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Apparently, for newer versions of MacOS, they are going to be native Mac apps:

Interesting is this blurb:

Ultimately we decided for a two-prong approach. We would build two Mac apps. One written in SwiftUI that targeted the latest operating systems and another using web UI that allowed us to cover older OSes.

I'm going to assume that "latest operating systems" will mean the last two, so for the sake of this let's make them Big Sur and Monterey. This would then cover any Silicon or last two year's run of Macs. Anything older than that would probably be out (don't know yet, AgileBits hasn't said). If this is the case, then this will alleviate half of the problems I have, leaving the subscription model to be the problem.

Unless I'm wrong with what hardware that can run SwiftUI-built apps, that's how I'm reading this...

BL.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Apparently, for newer versions of MacOS, they are going to be native Mac apps:

Interesting is this blurb:

I'm going to assume that "latest operating systems" will mean the last two, so for the sake of this let's make them Big Sur and Monterey. This would then cover any Silicon or last two year's run of Macs. Anything older than that would probably be out (don't know yet, AgileBits hasn't said). If this is the case, then this will alleviate half of the problems I have, leaving the subscription model to be the problem.

Unless I'm wrong with what hardware that can run SwiftUI-built apps, that's how I'm reading this...

BL.
You didnt read far enough

“Ultimately we made the painful decision to stop work on the SwiftUI Mac app and focus our SwiftUI efforts on iOS, allowing the Electron app to cover all of our supported Mac operating systems.”

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Unfortunately Keychain is not even close to being able to replace 1Password. And passwords in the keychain are also stored in the cloud. My main concern with 1PW 8 is not the subscription (which I do not like but may live with) but the removal of local vaults.

There is no way I will store all of my password in some cloud, regardless of the provider.
So much this. I’m actually fine with a subscription, I actually already have one, but it has to provide features I want and need. Not only is this not doing that it’s actually taking away the core reason I like 1P. It’s a downgrade! This is a bad move, it’s a customer-hostile move, and if it’s being pushed by VCs I hope the execs do actually look at the feedback here and elsewhere and push back.

It does explain why they’ve been so reluctant to add new cloud provider backends as native in the app though, like google drive, the push to end local vaults/non 1P vaults probably started a while ago and they were just getting ready to drop this on everyone

Reactions: Alwis

mintier

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Last edited:

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada

True, but that is people like you, me, and quite a few on this board, but… you know...

Reactions: Alwis

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Is that 90.5 MB for all of the processes required by 1Password 8?

No, and Ben also realized his oversight and noted it in a later post:

My apologies for the oversight. You're absolutely right, there are multiple processes involved, and I didn't think about that fact. Here is the whole picture from my system. As I say, we're very interested in making this an app that performs well. If there are issues with performance please do reach out to our support team so we can investigate.

Reactions: bwoodruff

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
“Ultimately we made the painful decision to stop work on the SwiftUI Mac app and focus our SwiftUI efforts on iOS, allowing the Electron app to cover all of our supported Mac operating systems.”

In short, they prioritized the release date more than doing it right... And if this is the priority I do not want to know how many bugs there will be in the first releases...

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Apple, just buy the damn company already.

Your Keychain Access app sucks, your Passwords preference pane sucks, your Passwords Safari settings section sucks, your iOS Passwords settings section sucks.

How hard is it to build a proper full-featured app and call it Passwords???

The password manager in Safari is supposed to be as simple as possible so that anyone can use it without a fuss. Let third parties do the complex stuff.

One thing I would add to Safari’s password manager is a button to confirm changes when closing the preferences pane. I accidentally deleted the wrong password entry last week and there was obviously no way to undo it. Had to reset the password on the service.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Curious to know: has any tried running 1Password 8 on an M1-based Mac and see how it affects battery life?

I’ve been so impressed with the reports of M1 laptops, I wonder if 1Password 8 will significantly deplete battery life.

LaGuarpe

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
Sweden
Is it just me, or does any one else have an issue with "unlock with Apple Watch" (in 1P8)?
In 1P7, the watch was the primary way of unlocking for me, but in 1P8, I have to manually click the watch icon.
It's not the end of the world, or a deal breaker, but it is one of those things that goes on the CON side of things...
1629470503221.png

Or is this a case of "Error-40"?
(The error is located 40cm from the screen...?)

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Is that 90.5 MB for all of the processes required by 1Password 8?

This isn't going to age well.

Everyone is seeing it wrong. It is 90.5 MB.

@bwoodruff I am laughing here. Over 2 gigabytes for a password manager. Anyone seeing this is going to have a field day. This is meme material. This is what Reddit memes are made of.

What have the smart founder duo done here with this beloved Mac app.. It may be painful to backtrack but in user interest and in the interest of the company, the duo must be made to reconsider everything about 1Password 8 on macOS.

dave070

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nevada
Interesting how there's the implication that consumers should think of how the developer can profit. Not my puzzle to solve. I have no obligation to them. Besides, the non-subscription model still works for many software companies.
It's not a problem for you unless that developer goes under. So instead, they'd just do major updates every year or two and maybe stop supporting older versions instead more quickly than they used to. So yes, if there is a service or product that's valuable, I have no problem paying for that and making sure they are profitable and can be around in the future. Can always write your own software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.