Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidangel

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Am a huge fan of 1Password, and use it daily with a work and family account (even helped my mom migrate her passwords out of her Mac Stickies app ). I haven’t really tried other services. I just started reading a bit about Bitwarden and it seems like a promising alternative. Might have to play with it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Even though the initial change did not and would not have affected me, I understand and agree with many who are upset.

Jeff Shiner, Dave Teare, and Roustem Karimov at 1Password are to blame for what happened in this scenario.

It was poorly planned, poorly executed, and poorly communicated and handled from a customer response standpoint (after the fact), in my opinion.

I don't have a problem with subscription models. I don't have a problem with a developer seeking to make software and financial changes to his or her business. What I have a problem with, is how there was no upfront communication within the 1Password staff about this desired change, as well as the lack of upfront communication with the customer before any new release.

In my opinion...

1) 1Password should have made an announcement ahead of time through their apps, social media and the company website.

2) A FAQ page should have been created ahead of time and linked to in all the aforementioned avenues.

3) A specific thread should have been created on the 1Password Forums to address the announcement and any customer concerns and problems.

4) A temporary discount should have been offered to those with a non-subscription plan, which could have made any new business model transition easier for many customers. The option should not have been taken away, (even if temporarily) in regards to the ability to recreate a local vault after a new install of the app (with a valid license).

5) in lieu of any temporary discount offering, the heads of 1Password could have, and should have set a public time frame for the loss of any non-subscription options (e.g. 6 months - 1 year from date ), in regards to the ability to create a local value after a restore etc. will not be available without a 1password subscription. That would give the customer plenty of time to decide if he or she wishes to research further about a subscription and possibly test drive the service, or look elsewhere, without feeling like they have had their valuables taken from them without warning.

1Password lost a lot of potential customers ( possibly a million dollars +) from this grade school business action. They also lost some current customers who may have subscribed, if this had been handled properly.

The CS reps like Henry, Ben, Kyle (and others) had to take the blunt of outrage. And from what I could ascertain from reading many of the posts, it appears they were either given narrow parameters in what they could say, or they were caught off-guard with the totality of what took place. Either way, I think they did the best they could. I don't blame them. I blame the 3 men listed.

As a current subscriber, I will keep a closer eye on 1password and their product. If action like the aforementioned happens again, or anything equally bad, I will take my business elsewhere.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Here are some things that one of their PR people actually said on the MacRumors forums back in 2016 when they first announced family subscriptions. I’ve edited it down to the more relevant bits.

He flat out said that the license never expires and we can use it for syncing data ourselves forever. He said that the subscription fee was to only pay for the servers. He says “It’s all about choices.” What a joke this company has become. Best to move away from this company before they revoke our encryption keys for access to our passwords and hold them ransom like some kind of data kidnapping bitcoin pirate.

Check it out for yourselves:

You quoted (1Password): “We don't have any plans to get rid of traditional licenses.”

So here is my rule of thumb: plans change. Never trust any person or company who appeals to current plans (as a roadmap) for the future. It is almost always a ruse.

And the only reason subscriptions exists at the level they do is because Apple does not allow paid upgrades in the App Store.

Today, most software only gets major updates (not free bug fixes) every 2 or 3 years and the creator should be able to charge for these updates. If the major update is not worth it, then the users just passes on the update. The paid upgrade model has been around for decades, but Apple (along with others) ruled it out of date and unilaterally decided to not support it to the detriment of users.

Once you buy into a subscription model, then nothing you do in that App is yours anymore. It belongs to the App creator, unless the App creator has a policy to allow you to export (after your subscription expires) and save your data outside of the subscription and their eco system.

As an App creator, we have been forced to use the subscription model. But we also have a free mode that kicks in when your subscription expires (not renewed) and even in free mode you can move all your data to your device, to dropbox, and etc. without restriction. All supported devices are updated to the latest version (get all updates) even without a paid subscription. But this is not a working policy for some Apps.

It can be safely assumed that Apple decided to not support paid upgrades in order to create a continuous revenue stream—SaaS (Software as a Service)—through the subscription model. So whom should we really fault for this—the developers or Apple?

Last edited:
Reactions: bice

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
If you purchased through the Mac App Store you would have only had two options. A subscription which after the initial use period expired would drop back to free mode or quick working and to purchase a completely new version each time. The Mac App Store does not allow charging for upgrades.

And to be "making even more money" developers have to be making money to begin with. Most don't we only do it to provide credibility for other paid projects we do.

pp Store and the IOS App Store do not allow paid upgrades, correct. However, that is why you end up with "1Password 6" as one product in the app store and "1Password 7" as another product.

Is that "upgrade pricing?" Of course not. Everyone pays the same price to buy the next version, if they had never bought a previous version, bought the very first version and every version thereafter, of just bough the previous version 2 days ago. Subscription pricing doesn't fix the lack of "loyalty bonus" upgrade problems. It only addresses the "guy who bought the previous version 2 days ago" upgrade problem (which, honestly, is solved by said individual asking Apple for a refund, or by the dev issuing a warning on the app description prior to the next version coming out or drastically lowering the price of said previous-version with the warning about an impending upgrade coming soon).

Subscriptions keep people from deciding that they don't need this update because there aren't enough features. Instead, they pay no matter what features are produced, until they don't want the product at all any more or decide to move to a less costly alternative.

If you care about customers and want to put your own skin in the game, you would go the Agenda model: $20 buys you all current features plus new features for the next year; after that you keep those features but don't get any more new features (but do get new versions, just with the newer features disabled, so you also aren't running 2-year-old insecure software) unless/until you re-up for another $20/year of upgrades. Works great, and puts skin in the game on the side of the company, which can't hold my data hostage for their subscription but instead needs to earn it with compelling new features.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I shouldn't be, but I am honestly surprised at the amount of negative will towards 1Password's subscription model. I'm the first to admit that when i'm trimming the budget, I always look at active subscriptions and see what I can do without.

Well, for me, the issue is not subscriptions per se, as I have several (although I do dislike them in general and try to avoid accumulating too many). The issue is how they have handled the change-over to a subscription model. AgileBits has made a lot of mistakes, and BasicGreatGuy outlines them quite well in post #77.

As I noted in my earlier post, I am a long time user and very satisfied with the actual software, but I paid a decent fee ($50 I think?) up front as a one-time license fee. I don't intend to just eat that cost and then sign on to their subscription fee on top of it.

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for the reminder not to trust updates from companies with subscription business model. Have resisted all update attempts and once they kill off the option of standalone and local storage they are out of my system.

Recently, my 1Password 6 started to flash large take-over ads on top of finder that my version "would not work in the future". Support claiimed it was a feature designed to warn for incompatibility with mac os. Yeah sure.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I would've not minded subscriptions if the price makes sense for what I get (eg. Office 365). The problem is many of these app developers are charging stupid prices for their usually single function apps. Example, this 1password. I'm lucky I was an old customer that already paid full for the pro upgrade. Having to pay $3 per month (which means $36 per year, and $180 in 5 years) just to store passwords is a bit too much imo. And it's not like I use their servers or anything since I use dropbox for my vault.

This move is a welcomed one since I really think the 1password devs are good.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
pp Store and the IOS App Store do not allow paid upgrades, correct. However, that is why you end up with "1Password 6" as one product in the app store and "1Password 7" as another product.

Is that "upgrade pricing?" Of course not. Everyone pays the same price to buy the next version, if they had never bought a previous version, bought the very first version and every version thereafter, of just bough the previous version 2 days ago. Subscription pricing doesn't fix the lack of "loyalty bonus" upgrade problems. It only addresses the "guy who bought the previous version 2 days ago" upgrade problem (which, honestly, is solved by said individual asking Apple for a refund, or by the dev issuing a warning on the app description prior to the next version coming out or drastically lowering the price of said previous-version with the warning about an impending upgrade coming soon).

Subscriptions keep people from deciding that they don't need this update because there aren't enough features. Instead, they pay no matter what features are produced, until they don't want the product at all any more or decide to move to a less costly alternative.

If you care about customers and want to put your own skin in the game, you would go the Agenda model: $20 buys you all current features plus new features for the next year; after that you keep those features but don't get any more new features (but do get new versions, just with the newer features disabled, so you also aren't running 2-year-old insecure software) unless/until you re-up for another $20/year of upgrades. Works great, and puts skin in the game on the side of the company, which can't hold my data hostage for their subscription but instead needs to earn it with compelling new features.
Well put. Agenda is doing subscriptions the right way. Others are doing rentals: when you stop paying, you’re left with nothing.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I cut LastPass, and never looked back after I moved to the open-source Bitwarden.

This is exactly what happens when you trust your most important information to a private company. They can remove features at any given time, or upcharge as much as they want.

Obviously, most companies are like this and there aren't always great free alternatives.

But Bitwarden is available to you right now, and with the ability to easily import your LastPass vault.

Why wait like a sitting duck for 1Password to pounce upon you again?
Interesting! Never heard of Bitwarden before, but will be diving into the details of this product and its security aspects, because it looks very promising.

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I would like to clarify something. I have always fond 1Password's pricing, and versions a bit difficult to ubnderstand. Maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptake...

If I were to pay to for the subscription model of 1Password...

1) Would I be committing to using the 1Password servers to store my data?

OR

2) Would I still be able to keep my data local (on my computer) and sync using my local wireless LAN, iCloud, Dropbox etc., or am I locked into syncing via the 1Password servers?

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
I don't understand the logic for extremely complicated passwords and the sofwares that generate or manage them when passwords get stolen from service providers. In the last couple of years millions of user names and passwords were taken from hacked companies' servers.
So what good is it to have a password that is a mile long, and what is the purpose for such apps?

The primary benefit of these apps isn’t the generation of a complex password, it’s the management and auto fill of credentials into applications. This then allows people to have a different password on each and every service they use so that if/when a service is compromised, only one password is compromised, not all of them. It drastically reduces the users risk because when my Facebook password is compromised, my other accounts are still safe and instead of it taking weeks to change my account on about 400 sites I have credentials for, it takes 2 or 3 minutes to update a single site.

These services go so far as alerting users when credentials have been breached by monitoring for announcements of such events.

The use of a super complex password helps to reduce the risk of some attacks, especially brute force, and ultimately for users of these apps it’s a nice bonus because the app both creates that password but also fills it in automatically, so there’s no difference to the user as to whether the password was 6 characters long or 18, it’s all automated anyway. It’s a nice feature but it’s made possible for the other before mentioned reasons.

To put it in context though, I’d argue it’s better to have 400 unique simple passwords than one complex password that is used 400 times, because as soon as that one password is compromised so is everything you use. Most people can’t remember 400 unique passwords though on their own.

Last edited:

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Insanely high costs are relative I suppose

My monthly bill for my iPhone X was pretty high, especially coupled with my AT&T plan
My natural gas bill during the winter and my power bill in the summer can be high at times

But for a service that keeps most of my important things secure on all my devices cross platform, I find less than $3 a month worth it

But yeah, I suppose it can be characterized as insanely high for some

View attachment 848991
Keychain does all of that for free.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting! Never heard of Bitwarden before, but will be diving into the details of this product and its security aspects, because it looks very promising.
I also had never heard of Bitwarden before reading this thread. I’m totally stunned by their iOS app. Totally stunned! Its UI is so clean and beautiful, especially the Dark theme. Really glad I found that one—thanks to MacRumors!

I hope the 1Password team take notes from this and once and for all start working real hard modernizing their aged and boring UI for the iOS app.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I also had never heard of Bitwarden before reading this thread. I’m totally stunned by their iOS app. Totally stunned! Its UI is so clean and beautiful, especially the Dark theme. Really glad I found that one—thanks to MacRumors!

I hope the 1Password team takes note and once and for all start working real hard modernizing their aged and boring UI.
It supports YubiKey on Mac and iOS. I set it up this morning and the key works well.

It is best to add items manually, instead of importing from 1Password. Importing makes a mess of your Bitwarden vault.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
This thread got me thinking: Why have I read about 1Password so many times but never heard of Bitwarden before reading this thread?

The answer is simple: Money! Bitwarden has nothing or little to offer huge sites. 1Password on the other hand has it all and gets mentioned everywhere.

And now when 1Password—who’s made a lot of money by being mentioned on huge sites—got a very large number of customers they try to pull a stunt to throw people into subscription plans. Not nice. I’m leaving!

Reactions: phillytim

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Maybe it isn't important to have seamless cross platform integration for you, but it is to me
I guess we have different work flows
I manage somehow without a password manager when I'm not using my own devices. Really strange, huh? and in the process, I'm not enabling these companies by supporting their business model.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
[rant]
But SO many apps seriously abuse this pricing model. Ulysses comes to mind immediately: a feature-mature writing app that syncs with iCloud and really needed nothing more than OS updates going forward. Then the developers chose to go to the rental model. Seems to me they just want a blank check to tinker and tweak endlessly, and it's pretty gross. To date in the couple years since this they've made little changes, but quite frankly nothing that would add up to a truly major update in a traditional "pay for each big version" model. I think software renters want you to basically crowdfund each new version on an ongoing basis. Here's an idea: if you aren't making enough money on the already-finished software you wrote, write another app. If the Ulysses people designed another app for sale, I'd definitely check it out and maybe buy it based on the quality of the Ulysses design and UI. But instead? They tweak and fiddle around and users are expected to pay in perpetuity for that.
[/rant]
Wow, did you copy my review on the AppStore? LOL. :D

It's so true, though. They made a nice little app, that was useful for storing a few snippets or even write longer texts and all of a sudden they think they're the second coming of Christ and charge you about the same as the entire MS Office suite! :eek:

I bought every single new version they released to actively support them but, obviously, that wasn't enough.

Try imagining a game developer doing the same, slapping together Pacman or Tetris and seriously expecting customers to pay monthly for it until the sun explodes. For some reason they need to release AAA titles year after year to keep the ball going. Yet here comes Ulysses and decides to live off and finance all the future Porsches and Lambos through one single niche app for eternity. Hilarious! As you already said, whatever happened to offering another app or two instead of snoring about in the office all day?!? o_O

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.