1st gen users, have you upgraded?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ApplePersonFreak, Feb 11, 2017.

?

1st gen users, have you upgraded?

1. No.

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. mjschabow macrumors 68020

Yes I'm referring to Series 2

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

GPS can be disabled, thus battery life is extended beyond.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Nah. My day one Apple Watch 38mm sport is still working just fine, doing everything I need of it. I keep finding new things to use it for; I've recently started taking it with me to track my bike rides, which it does wonderfully!

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I have not seen any reason to upgrade yet. For weekend getaways I use a portable charger

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Haven't upgraded yet but feels that my battery life is starting to let me down. Removal from charge @ 6:30am and I'm left with 33% by 5PM. Still can get me through work and a workout but anything after the workout and I'm left with 10-15% battery life which most definitely won't get me through a social call later that evening or on a weekend.

38mm model

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Are you up to date on Watch OS?

7. GoSUV macrumors member

Even for the S0 (I had a S0 SS 38mm), after updating to WatchOS 3.x, I was getting a significant battery life boost - remember the watch is supposed to be at least 1 year older with the wear in battery life that comes with it, but I was having more battery life remaining at the end of the day after the software update.

Of course now that I have gotten myself a new S2 SS 42mm (for the brighter display, improved water proofing), the battery life is more impressive. I have taken off the AW from the charger this morning at 8am, and by 3pm I'm still at 98% battery left...

8. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I sold my S0 as I couldn't find anything compelling about it. I bought back in with S2, and am finding it much more useful, but that's more about OS3 than the new hardware.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So you're saying Watch OS3 is more of a reason to upgrade to Series 2 over your S0? They high offer the same software, aside from the GPS, water resistance, screen and upgraded processor. Can you can clarify?

10. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Technically, I didn't upgrade, but what I did do is pickup a 42mm Hermes edition with cuff bracelet for a very reasonable price. I already have a stainless 42mm, but really like the Hermes faces and the super comfortable 2 in 1 cuff band (can be worn as cuff or with just the single tour band). The cuff band alone when it was available for sale was $690 by itself. I do not like the new Hermes double cuff AT ALL, and if I upgrade to a series 2, my original cuff will fit nicely.

I got my 42mm Hermes Apple watch with cuff for less than if I had just bought the cuff separately for $690. Substantially less.

11. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

His statement is pretty clear...i think.

12. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Not yet, just got a Link Bracelet 38mm watch 1 month ago, so waiting for Series 3, would be kinda pissed if it didn't come out Late 2017

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've considered it a few times, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My 1st gen still works so it's hard to justify an upgrade at this point and time.

14. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's been clarified. Thanks.

15. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

My Series 0 has seen an improvement in battery life since I installed watchOS 3.1.3

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Nope, at least not yet.

If my first-gen had started to suck already, maybe I'd upgrade -- but then I'd be wary of how long a Series 2 would be good until it started to suck, too.

The one thing that would push me over the edge and upgrade right away would be cellular connectivity. I would feel better about going phone-free when I go for a walk or jog. BUT, I recognize that it's a battery killer, and I'm not going to fret about it as long as we're using current battery technology.

17. Conutz macrumors regular

Conutz

Use my 42mm S0 to keep me moving and track my workouts. Heavy usage for me is below 50% at bedtime, which is great. I'll try stick it out another year or two. Definitely can't live without it though!

18. DJLAXL macrumors 6502a

DJLAXL

Series 0 42 Stainless is still working perfectly. Battery lasts all day. Sitting on almost 2 years and I dont plan on upgrading until either there are new features which I must have or support from Apple stops lol.

19. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

For me, i am not sure i want this.

#1. you need to pay more to your carrier to have a cellular watch (usually $5/mo extra) for a function that is rarely needed for most folks.

#2. the speaker now is pathetic, esp outside with ambient noise...how can you even hear the other caller?

#3. because of #2, you will have to invest in bluetooth headset (Beats and Airpods).

#4. battery life would be drained rather quickly and that may mean that your jog or bike ride may have to be cut short because you're chatting with your wife with the watch while using GPS to track your activity.

#5. because of #4, you need bigger battery and maybe even thicker watch (see LG Sport that just came out!)...my wrist is small enough...i don't need Watch to get bigger! :D

20. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Yup, and especially this --
    Like I said, I don't think cellular would be a good, usable feature until some awesome new battery chemistry comes onto the production line.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using my Series 0 until either (a) they won't replace the battery anymore, or (b) it stops being supported by the OS, whichever comes first.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

LTE doesn't interest me. Everything I have now suffices fine for my needs. If it does happen, which I believe will, will require the efficiency of the processor and supported battery. If The Apple Watch 3 launches in September, I think this feature will be likely.

And I'm thinking your first Gen Apple Watch will last through OS 4. As far as your battery goes, that varies on the user.

22. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Actually, I could see it for anyone wanting to go for a run and leave their phone at home (yet, still want to be accessible). - the $5-$10 a month to have an additional device on the same number / data plan is pretty cheap. The gotcha will be that the cellular carriers still haven't agreed to sim card emulation (something you really need so you're not wasting valuable real estate as well as impeding on water resistance for a physical nano SIM slot).

- #2 - well, all of the headphones with the W1 chip that have been released also serve quite well for phone calls (especially the air pods).

#3 - isn't everyone? :)

#4 - yes, so you'd keep your calls short to not impede your battery life too much (also turn off the cell radio when in BT range of the iPhone).

#5 - not really - Apple could use the feature port to extend the cellular antennae as well as additional battery capability into a band. (downside - you wouldn't have cellular when not using a band without an antennae - or the coverage would be very poor)

23. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Hmm, good point...forgot about the port. That does bring up new possibilities...because the LG Sport is just hideous!

24. mtcowdog macrumors regular

1st gen is still a very good watch w 'smart' benefits. Maybe 3rd will be enough to entice me.

25. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Yes. 3.1.3. I thought it might help with the battery life but it didn't. For example, I removed it at 6:30am today and now (10:10am) I'm left with 70% charge. I just replied to 3 SMS and checked the time so far.