1st gen users, have you upgraded?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ApplePersonFreak, Feb 11, 2017.

?

1st gen users, have you upgraded?

1. No.

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. pcall1128 macrumors 6502a

pcall1128

I upgraded to a series 2. Wasn't even a question for me, the more free I am from my cell phone the better.

2. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I've stuck with my S0 SS 42mm. For me the improvements didn't warrant upgrading. If I was a runner or swimmer I would have. I know I would enjoy the processor upgrades and the brighter screen but I really want a remarkable improvement in battery life more than anything else. I expect I'll upgrade with this years refresh though.

3. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

I was able to get such a great deal on my S0 SBSS that I couldn't justify the upgrade to the series 2. I might be tempted by series 3 if the features are right.

4. Swisspo macrumors 6502

Swisspo

Upgraded to a Series 2 today. Got it home and started setting it up, noticed 2 little dings right where the glass and aluminum meet at the top of the face.. :eek:

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Thats unfortunate. You have 14 days of replacement with no questions asked. Assuming it's new, you could take pictures of possible and send them to Apple for quality feedback.

6. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

I am waiting for the next refresh to see if I will upgrade. Glad I skipped Series 2.

7. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I upgraded to SS S2 from SS Gen 1 pretty much at launch. I wasn't going to but I sold my Gen 1 for a good price. Glad I did and no regrets. Enjoying the speed increase, better battery and brighter screen.

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Nope I dont wear mine often anyway. Sometimes I prefer my mechanical watch and sometimes I feel like wearing the apple watch. I dont see myself getting a new one unless apple

• Makes an always on display
    • Battery that will last me at least 2 days
    • Maybe make a round version

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the always on display will happen. Or at least the option to toggle it on and off.

The Series 2 battery is fairly strong for what it's worth. I think a stronger battery In future Watches with a more efficient processor, which will ultimately assist in managing the battery better.

A round version, seems unlikely. I read an article the other day where Johnny Ive stated a round version doesn't make sense. If he stays as one of the lead designers, then it may not happen. I will post the link if your interested in reading it.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/double-take/the-man-who-made-the-apple-watch

10. arman94 macrumors regular

11. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Waiting for Gen 3 and if the surprises aren't too overwhelming then I'll buy a S2 Ceramic!

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would be interested in trying the Ceramic on. I don't have much interest in purchasing one. But I want to see how it feels on the wrist compared to the aluminum model.

A black Ceramic would be far More appealing than white. White ceramic looks awkwardly cheap (Even though it's far from it).

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't look cheap in real life but white isn't a colour I would wear. A satin black Edition would look good and be different enough from the Space Black stainless and I also think grey ceramic looks great.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

White seems completely unnatural when I think of a Watch color in general. I just saw my first Ceramic model today. It definitely stands out with that stark look to it, but it looks like something a much younger generation would appreciate.

When I consider wearing a Watch, I consider premium materials with the added weight. But then again, If I were to Purchase a Ceramic Watch, I would go high end like the Omega you posted. That's brilliantly exquisite. Maybe Ceramic isn't the most fitting for a smart Watch.

If Apple releases a black Ceramic edition, I might consider it. The deal breaker is the weight for me, I want something heavier, which is why I gravitated towards the stainless and sold my Sport almost immediately when it was first released.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I also thought the Sport was lacking in presence on the wrist but I'm used to wearing steel watches. The Ceramic Edition feels similar to wearing a titanium watch and falls roughly in the middle between the stainless and aluminium.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Stainless is my go to. It has the luster and shine, with the ease of removing scratches. When I wear a Watch, I like to know I'm wearing it.

Titanium is a great material with durability coupled with its lightweight characteristics. But seems very popular for a wedding band theme.

17. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Titanium is soft. Hypoallergenic. Strong but soft. Most titanium watches look like crap after a few months. That is why very few high end watches use titanium.

18. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I'm confused about the battery life. When I compare specs on Series 1 and 2 on the Apple site, they both say 18 hour battery life. Does the Series 2 just do better because the processor handles multiple apps running more efficiently than the on the Series 1?

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

No, it's because the Series 2 has a bigger battery to account for the GPS receiver. Otherwise they'd list it with a shorter battery life.

18 hours is a conservative average anyway.

20. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

1st gen to S2 owner here.

I purchased the first gen in fall of 2015 and sold it in the summer of 2016 anticipating a refresh. I pretty much do this with any Apple product I intend on upgrading, sell before they announce the new one, while the resell value is at its highest. I ended up getting what I paid for it, and set that money aside for an upgrade.

I debated for some time on S1 vs S2, Sport vs Stainless, Stainless vs Space Black, what band to get, etc. Ultimately I decided to get an S2 Space Black Stainless with a sport band and then add bands to my collection as I go.

As far as the performance between the two, it is night and day. I am much happier with my purchase this time around. Although admittedly that is a combination of 1) Upgrade from 1st Gen to S2, 2) Upgrade from Sport to SS, and 3) watchOS 3 vs watchOS 2.

So if I had a first gen SS and was totally happy with my case/band combo, I'm not so sure I'd be as compelled to upgrade. But in my situation the S2 was definitely a massive improvement over my first watch.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Most quality manufacturers use surface treatments to make them more durable. My Citizen has a Super Titanium finish and doesn't have a problem with scratches.

22. Relentless Power, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agreed. I like both the first Gen and Series 2. I would say the biggest feature in Series 2 Is the GPS. If you're a runner or tracking your path, that's a nice feature to have, aside from the water resistance, which is huge for outdoor environments or a swimmer. Otherwise, physical similarities are identical.

It was harder for me to upgrade though, mainly because I felt like I was buying the same Watch in terms of physical design. So I do look forward to a new casing design in the future. Perhaps a larger screen or a other metals used for the casing.

23. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Ahh I think it looks so slick! I also have dark skin, so the white pops out on my arms. Just not willing to pay full price for one of those puppies after seeing the price shift of the S0 models over time (both new and resale). I can wait.

24. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

#6 One of the MASSIVE upsides about the AW S2 for me is GPS and the fact that I can leave my phone at home... Go for a run, clear my head and enjoy the fresh air etc. without any distractions... No need for texts, phone calls etc.

One upside would be data though - to be able to stream music would be cool, but a Spotify offline app could kill that need

25. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Why are so many people wishing for an always on display? Genuine question... I lift my arm and my display comes on, when I'm not looking at my watch it's off and not wasting energy. I genuinely don't see the point.