Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmptyG

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2007
I ordered two sticks of the 2GB Corsair:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5175606

Arrived today (only ordered last Friday with free shipping, came this morning - very cool) :)

Threw it in, shows up and seems to be working just fine:
4gbgoodnesswg1.jpg

And yes, I know it's showing 4GB but only uses 3GB. Still, $70 for 4GB. How can you pass that up?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Just ordered 2 modules for my recently purchased 15" 2.2ghz MBP:

Thank you for your FRYS.com order F***** - 11/20/2007 11:2:56
You will shortly receive an e-mail copy of your Order Request sent to ***@gmail.com. Please print this page for your records.

sku # 5448239
items: DDR2 2GB PC5300 SO-D TRANSCEND
qty: 2
unit price: $39.99
ext price: $79.98
subtotal: $79.98
tax $0.00
Estimated Shipping & Handling
2nd Day Shipping: $9.59
total $89.57

- - - -

Thanks everyone on this thread. I hope these are the right module for my MBP and everything works good.

I never got around to installing my RAM and had the two sticks sitting around in my room. I'm going to install them today.

What's the best RAM Installation instructions link that anyone's followed?

I ended up receiving two 2GB sticks of Transcend DDR2 667 JetRam. That's what I should have gotten right?
(I'm just asking because I don't see PC5300 anywhere on these packages and that's what my orig order form said)

save them if you ever going to sell your lappy!!!

...I'd keep your RAM as a backup and in case
you need to send it to Apple for service. They've been
known to refuse service when generic ram is used...

I've always been torn on what to do on this, but these are two good reasons to keep the original RAM. I usually always sell my laptops before the applecare runs out on. This time around, I might try to pop my original RAM in and sell my laptop as I received. I remember on my last Jan '05 purchased 1.5Ghz PowerBook, I paid almost $300 for a 1GB stick of Samsung RAM from OWC and $1800 for the PowerBook. That PowerBook sold for almost $700 in my November '07 Auction (almost 3 years after the purchase) and I wondered to myself if I would have been better off selling the PowerBook w/ original RAM separate and the upgrade RAM module separate.

But then again, when I had upgraded my Mac Mini from either 256MB RAM or 512MB RAM to it's max 1.42ghz RAM, I thought I'd sell the orig RAM on ebay to get some money back. The orig RAM ended up selling for $1.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I never got around to installing my RAM and had the two sticks sitting around in my room. I'm going to install them today.

What's the best RAM Installation instructions link that anyone's followed?

I ended up receiving two 2GB sticks of Transcend DDR2 667 JetRam. That's what I should have gotten right?
(I'm just asking because I don't see PC5300 anywhere on this package)

2 good reasons to keep the original RAM. I usually always sell my laptops before the applecare runs out on. This time around, I might try to pop my original RAM in and sell my laptop as I received. I remember on my last Jan '05 purchased 1.5Ghz PowerBook, I paid almost $300 for a 1GB stick of Samsung RAM from OWC and $1800 for the PowerBook. That PowerBook sold for almost $700 in my November '07 Auction (almost 3 years after the purchase) and I wondered to myself if I would have been better off selling the PowerBook w/ original RAM separate and the upgrade RAM module separate.

But then again, when I had upgraded my Mac Mini from either 256MB RAM or 512MB RAM to it's max 1.42ghz RAM, I thought I'd sell the orig RAM on ebay to get some money back. The orig RAM ended up selling for $1.

Yes the jet ram is the correct one works great in the macbook no issues at all..mine i working great :)

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Yes the jet ram is the correct one works great in the macbook no issues at all..mine i working great :)

Thanks Cybergypsy. Looking forward to putting this RAM into my MBP. I brought my new, packaged RAM and my Wal-mart purchased set of precision screwdrivers to work to do the install here. But it seems that my No. 1 (+) screwdriver is in a bit of bad shape. Looks like I'll have to wait til I Get home to do the install with my back up set (that one I got from Radio Shack).

jeff3221

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
The best Instuctions I have founf for installing ram is the one that came with the macbook in the mac hard drive-user guides and information-macbook users guide- chapter 3

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I think the JetRam that I got has just gone bad. About a week and a half ago, I got the gray screen of death on my Oct, 2007 purchased 15" 2.2ghz MBP and powered off my comp. I turned it back on and I just saw a lit screen and flashes out the little indicator. I kept powering off and on and same thing happened. I took out both of my 2GB RAM modules and put in my OEM 1GB RAM modules and my comp started working again. I gave it some time, and switched to the Jetram again. Same thing - lit screen, and little flashes out the indicator. I popped in my OEM RAM modules again, and back in business.

Sounds like RAM is bad right. Both modules? Anyone else run into this problem?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I think the JetRam that I got has just gone bad. About a week and a half ago, I got the gray screen of death on my Oct, 2007 purchased 15" 2.2ghz MBP and powered off my comp. I turned it back on and I just saw a lit screen and flashes out the little indicator. I kept powering off and on and same thing happened. I took out both of my 2GB RAM modules and put in my OEM 1GB RAM modules and my comp started working again. I gave it some time, and switched to the Jetram again. Same thing - lit screen, and little flashes out the indicator. I popped in my OEM RAM modules again, and back in business.

New RAM arrived yesterday and seems to be working fine so far. I mailed it out on or around April 7th so the turnaround time wasn't too bad.

kingfish78

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
It's pronounced Tay-Hahs...

Yep. I ordered 2x2GB sticks and after installation began getting kernel panics. Popped in the OEM RAM, and the problems went away.

My new sticks were shipped yesterday, so I should be getting them any day now. I hope they work better.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Yep. I ordered 2x2GB sticks and after installation began getting kernel panics. Popped in the OEM RAM, and the problems went away.

My new sticks were shipped yesterday, so I should be getting them any day now. I hope they work better.

cool. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I hope this round works better than the last round.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
New RAM arrived today, and this time the packing list clearly indicated that the RAM was "TESTED" prior to shipment. Happy to say that I installed it and have had no trouble at all... so far, so good.

yeah, no problems here either. My computer feels better again. I wonder if anyone else has had problems with the JETRAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.