Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuser

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Have a 4890HD too. Try these Kext´s. Working on my MacPro 100%!

Thanks a lot!

Now it is working halfway.
When I want to use "Mission Control" then it lags and doesn't work correct (show windows side by side etc.. graphics is then not working smooth and takes long to react again).

I did an upgrade from Mavericks and there was a lot messing around I guess. So I deleted some old stuff in /S/L/E and put your files into here.

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
I should have posted this before... I'm running the "ATI Radeon 3870 Mac & PC Edition" in my 1,1 with Yosemite. The Apple builtin drivers work great. I expect the 3850 should work as well (if it works at all - do PC ATI/AMD card work, just like PC Nvidia cards do?). So this pushes back by one generation the ATI/AMD cards known to work well with Yosemite.

Somewhat OT, I've got an 2006 MPB1,1 here. The builtin graphics are a Mobility X1600, I think, which I expect has no 64-bit drivers. Does anyone have any experience booting Yosemite on that hardware? Any sort of driver available for the graphics? Links for useful threads discussing this?

Thanks.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Somewhat OT, I've got an 2006 MPB1,1 here. The builtin graphics are a Mobility X1600, I think, which I expect has no 64-bit drivers. Does anyone have any experience booting Yosemite on that hardware?

A MacBook Pro 1,1 or 1,2 from early 2006 can only run 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. No 10.7.5 Lion, 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, 10.9.5 Mavericks, nor the new 10.10 Yosemite. Simple reason: it has only a 32bit capable Core Duo (without the '2' in the middle). From 10.7.5 Lion on a 64bit capable Core 2 Duo is necessary.

Another Thread about Yosemite on unsupported older Macs can be found here.

gooberq

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
What steps did you follow SFOTT or my PDF guide?

Your PDF.

I have a mbp with mavericks and trying to install in a Mac Pro with lion and ATI graphics card (cannot see boot logo wen macpro starts), i tried two methods

Installed Yosemite in a SSD , make sure its booting in the MBP, changed Platform...plist file and copied the boot.efi files to the two locations. When i connect to Mac pro i dont see the SSD as start up disk and cannot boot of the SSD.

The method in your PDF file , both not working :( i cannot see the SSD in the startup disk, but i was able to install Mavericks in SSD and boot MacPro of the SSD, i was running Mavericks great last week but Yosemite is not working.
thanks for your help.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Your PDF.

I have a mbp with mavericks and trying to install in a Mac Pro with lion and ATI graphics card (cannot see boot logo wen macpro starts), i tried two methods

Installed Yosemite in a SSD , make sure its booting in the MBP, changed Platform...plist file and copied the boot.efi files to the two locations. When i connect to Mac pro i dont see the SSD as start up disk and cannot boot of the SSD.

The method in your PDF file , both not working :( i cannot see the SSD in the startup disk, but i was able to install Mavericks in SSD and boot MacPro of the SSD, i was running Mavericks great last week but Yosemite is not working.
thanks for your help.

If you are trying to create an installer following my guide you must be doing something wrong. As soon as you restore BaseSystem.dmg it should be recognized as a bootable startup disk.

earsonic

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
excellent work

I came across this website by chance and gave it a try. Apart from the problem with quotation marks, which occurred of course when I first tried installing, things went well.
I could upgrade my 10.9.5 to 10.10., still having various little issues, but I am still happy with the result.
Which flavor I like more, I think Mavericks had a nicer outfit.
Whatever... I managed to install Yosemite on my SSD (at SATA #5 it worked well for me, just in case anybody is not sure if it works on those two additional MB SATAs..) and am happy typing on my MacPro1.1 right now. USB 3.0 is not yet working the way it used, but hey... there's room for improvements ;-)
Great work!

zfxp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
Your PDF.

thanks for your help.

Henny's guide work great.
For my "retail" version installer I used SFOTT and it installed easily on to my SSD.
Re-download your copy of Yosemite then use SFOTT

Jmx

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2006
Success!!

A huge thanks to Hennesie2000 and ProfDrLuigi and everyone making this work :)

I followed the step by step tutorial by Hennesie2000 and did a clean install on my old MP 1.1 flashed to 2.1 on a SSD and it all went great.
Only problem was the graphic didn't work with my flashed Radeon HD 4890, but now i just used the qeci1010 provided by ProfDrLuigi with Kext Drop, rebooted and wohoo... graphic working fine.
The computer also feels snappier than with 10.7, booting fast with boot screen and all :)
Messages doesn't work as like others have mentioned but that's something i can live with until a fix for that is found.

I'm so grateful and happy i can still use my old MP1.1 now with Yosemite since i was previous stuck on 10.7.4 and things just kept getting more complicated when programs demanded being upgraded but didn't support 10.7.

So again.. Thank you everyone for this :):apple::D

Attachments

• MP1.1-Yosemite.jpg
    MP1.1-Yosemite.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
A huge thanks to Hennesie2000 and ProfDrLuigi and everyone making this work :)

I followed the step by step tutorial by Hennesie2000 and did a clean install on my old MP 1.1 flashed to 2.1 on a SSD and it all went great.

Only problem was the graphic didn't work with my flashed Radeon HD 4890, but now i just used the qeci1010 provided by ProfDrLuigi with Kext Drop, rebooted and wohoo... graphic working fine.

The computer also feels snappier than with 10.7, booting fast with boot screen and all :)

Messages doesn't work as like others have mentioned but that's something i can live with until a fix for that is found.

I'm so grateful and happy i can still use my old MP1.1 now with Yosemite since i was previous stuck on 10.7.4 and things just kept getting more complicated when programs demanded being upgraded but didn't support 10.7.

So again.. Thank you everyone for this :):apple::D

If messages aren't working and you are getting the customer code then just call Apple Support. It will be working in 5 mins.

yuser

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
QE/CI is working now.
After a clean install to a second HDD I managed to get it working there with all of your help. I copied over the S/L/E folder from the clean install to my upgraded one and --> working!

Good work to bring this all to the older MacPro!! Thanks a lot!

oemden

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I tried the same thing but it only lets me install a Beta Version. The installer I have is the official release. How do I get the SFOTT Yosemite Beta to run with the Official Release Installer?

Hi! I also tried the SFOTT app but I couldn't get the launcher to recognize my official release installer. It keeps looking for the beta release. Could you give me a quick rundown of how you did it?

thanks a lot!

(i'm currently also running a mac pro 2,1 with mavericks (team refi) on a ssd)

Until I've got more time, simply choose the Option 3 in the menu :
Official Release....
as simple as it is.... I've seen some said only beta is available but nope.
PB, DP and RC works.

Oh yeah.---that kind of tripped me up a bit.

So at the Main Menu of SFOTT> Go to Extras (7) to enable Yosemite support.

Then Choose 3> OS X Yosemite Official Release

Enter to continue.

I placed the Install OS X Yosemite in my Applications folder and it was able to find it.

It should work.. just take your time as you finish the rest of the steps.

Thx Chung123, you got it :)

attachment.php

Had a busy week-end I'll do all I can to get a Sfott release with no need to go to extra menu. I have to recheck all functions - particularly for the step by step, more work than expected. But for now extra menu works fine for the autorun - AND ONLY the AUTORUN.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
I had a big uh-oh moment. I shut down the Mac Pro to try out a IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle to see if handoff would work with it. (I was using the D-Link DBT-120 previously.)

For some reason, unrelated to the dongle, the system would boot half way and hang at 50% in the progress bar. After a few failed attempts, I booted from the USB SFOTT key and used Disk Utility to repair and rebuild permissions on the drive.

After that, it boots perfectly. Whew!

Still no handoff though. :(

Last edited:

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I wanna thank everyone who made this possible, it's really nice to see that old computer still rocking. I just spend the last 2 days setting my whole setup with Yosemite.

The AMD 6870 works great no issues there.
120Gb ssd with trim enabler on works.
My Mac Pro i connected through my iMac 27 so i use Mini Display Port and got the sound working with HDMI Audio 1.0 from the thread around here.
and Asus Blu-Ray drives works too for ripping blu-ray movies :)
iMessages works. When was running i had to contact apple with code thing

Yesterday evening I made a 4 TB RAID 0 with my iTunes Library, Aperture library and other stuff.

In my user home folder i made Symbolic folder for Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and pictures. and the original folder is located on my 4TB RAID. so everything is stored there.

Thanks for all this :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 21.06.46.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 21.06.46.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 21.14.07.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 21.14.07.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

jamgold

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
_DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform

does anybody else have a lot of

Code:
10/19/14 12:15:23.730 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

in their system.log? I am running 10.10 on my MacPro1,1 using the Pike boot.efi posted here a couple of days ago (don't know how to tell version, it is 352256 bytes)

the bug

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
If messages aren't working and you are getting the customer code then just call Apple Support. It will be working in 5 mins.
Hopefully once you get through, you will be able to get imessage working.
I spent 40 minutes total on hold yesterday, and about 30 minutes so far today on hold.

I think I've heard every song on their "on hold" playlist, getting really sick of Gotye. :)

I did try to say "messages" at the voice recognition prompt, where it immediately asked for a serial # and told me I would have to pay $20 for a single support package, since my serial # was so old.

Needless to say I hung up and tried again, hopefully a live person won't look at the age of the serial #. ;)

Still on hold as I'm writing this. :(

- Jay

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hopefully once you get through, you will be able to get imessage working.

I spent 40 minutes total on hold yesterday, and about 30 minutes so far today on hold.

I think I've heard every song on their "on hold" playlist, getting really sick of Gotye. :)

I did try to say "messages" at the voice recognition prompt, where it immediately asked for a serial # and told me I would have to pay $20 for a single support package, since my serial # was so old.

Needless to say I hung up and tried again, hopefully a live person won't look at the age of the serial #. ;)

Still on hold as I'm writing this. :(

- Jay

I have called with this issue several times while using Clover to run Yosemite and no one cared. Just say Mac Pro, then give them your real serial number. When you get a live person tell them your problem is activating iMessage. They will ask you for that code and it will be immediately fixed.

LaurentR2D2

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Paris - France
I've installed Yosemite on my Mac Pro rev 1,1 and it works very well. Thank you to Piker. The only thing not working, and I find that funny, is my apple usb keyboard. Strange.

Would adding a bluetooth LE 4 usb key to my Mac Pro be enough to get handoff and continuity ?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I've installed Yosemite on my Mac Pro rev 1,1 and it works very well. Thank you to Piker. The only thing not working, and I find that funny, is my apple usb keyboard. Strange.

Would adding a bluetooth LE 4 usb key to my Mac Pro be enough to get handoff and continuity ?

Not at the moment it won't.

jamgold

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014

Same here. My suspicion is even that the internal Bluetooth is not working correctly. Everytime system_profiler runs it crashes when it gets to the internal Bluetooth "stuff". I think I will unplug the HW and see if it makes a difference.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Same here. My suspicion is even that the internal Bluetooth is not working correctly. Everytime system_profiler runs it crashes when it gets to the internal Bluetooth "stuff". I think I will unplug the HW and see if it makes a difference.

What do you mean system profiler crashes? My internal stock Bluetooth works fine. I can view all the info in System Profiler about it just fine.

jamgold

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
What do you mean system profiler crashes? My internal stock Bluetooth works fine. I can view all the info in System Profiler about it just fine.

When I run /usr/sbin/system_profiler by hand or when certain actions fire (Finder File Save dialog) I am presented with Crash reports popups that the process has failed. And I narrowed it down to when it "probes" the Bluetooth device.

 ls -l ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/system_profiler_2014-10-19*|wc -l

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks

Just wanted to chip in with a big thanks to those who worked on this!

I've been eagerly reading the forum from the start and was so pleased when you guys (+Pike) figured it out.

I updated a Mavericks/Tiamo drive, took two attempts and had to use the grey rather then black for some reason. All working perfectly now though, feels and looks better than Mavericks already.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.