Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Ok, so I've done everything to the letter (I'm pretty sure) as in the .pdf guide for my Mac Pro 1,1.

The USB is in, I restarted through Start Up Disk in System Preferences and now I'm waiting.

It says in the .pdf that it might take a while to boot and it's been a few minutes.

How long does it take on average so I know if it's not worked?

----------

The light on the USB isn't flashing to say it's doing anything.

Is that bad?

matteuz

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Italy
Ok, so I've done everything to the letter (I'm pretty sure) as in the .pdf guide for my Mac Pro 1,1.

The USB is in, I restarted through Start Up Disk in System Preferences and now I'm waiting.

It says in the .pdf that it might take a while to boot and it's been a few minutes.

How long does it take on average so I know if it's not worked?

----------

The light on the USB isn't flashing to say it's doing anything.

Is that bad?

Maybe missing the kernels folder and the file "kernel". Check it out.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
When I run /usr/sbin/system_profiler by hand or when certain actions fire (Finder File Save dialog) I am presented with Crash reports popups that the process has failed. And I narrowed it down to when it "probes" the Bluetooth device.

 ls -l ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/system_profiler_2014-10-19*|wc -l

I am not quite sure how your are running system profiler but when I put this into terminal:
Code:
system_profiler > ~/Desktop/profiler_output.txt

I do get some errors but nothing related to bluetooth.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

I did the Kernel step.

Here's the guide I followed from the first page of this thread:

You didn't need to post the entire guide. He knows which one you are taking about. I have seen "followed the guide to the letter" several times and every time there was a misstep or spelling error.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Sorry, it's just I've seen several different ones around and wanted to be clear.

I'll have another look through and see.

How long should it take when it works before something shows up on the screen?

----------

Sorry, it's just I've seen several different ones around and wanted to be clear.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

It really depends on the flash drive. I have a SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 that takes about 2 mins and I have a Leef USB 3.0 that takes less than 30 seconds. It shouldn't take more than about 3 mins but that isn't a hard number.

The common issues have been spelling Kernels "Kernals" and quotation marks being smart quotes which look italic.

If it can't find the kernel then it will usually just reboot over and over. If you have a quotation mark issue then it will boot but the installer will say that it can't be installed.

Try the other boot.efi in the guide if one doesn't work. Both work fine for me but others have reported issues with the black one and have had to use the grey one.

Also as far as I know there is only one PDF guide for the manual process. The other guide is for SFOTT.

Harry Muff

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
Ok, just ran through the steps again and it's installing now.

I've got a couple of suspicions as to what went wrong, a couple of them involve me screwing up, and one is possibly CleanMyDrive "cleaning" something it shouldn't have on removal.

Probably me though. :cool:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Ok, just ran through the steps again and it's installing now.

I've got a couple of suspicions as to what went wrong, a couple of them involve me screwing up, and one is possibly CleanMyDrive "cleaning" something it shouldn't have on removal.

Probably me though. :cool:

Glad to hear it's working.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have scanned a few pages back and looked at the github site, but cannot find a latest precompiled version. That has to exists. ;-)

But where is it?

-- Harald

gooberq

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Henny's guide work great.
For my "retail" version installer I used SFOTT and it installed easily on to my SSD.
Re-download your copy of Yosemite then use SFOTT

When i use SFOTT and select key auto run i see an error

Yosemite Kernel tmp directory is missing......

did u extract the kernel manually , please let me know, still cannot boot with sb :(

Mc1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I'm having a problem getting Yosemite to boot. It seems like there might be some kext issues with my install based on the verbose output, but I'm not sure. Read on...

I'm running a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 flashed to 1,2 and upgraded to 8 cores. ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB Video with dual monitors. Mavericks is working perfectly on an SSHD using Tiamo's 'boot.efi'.

So yesterday I downloaded Yosemite using the "Mavericks Download Enabler" and created a USB key using the SFOTT method. All seemed to work fine. I was able to boot from the resulting key and completely run through the installation of Yosemite on my 250 GB HDD. (The drive had a working installation of Lion on it prior to my Yosemite attempt, BTW.)

When it finished installing, I clicked the reboot button and it rebooted. It displayed the Black screen with the white Apple logo, and the boot progress indicator started. I started to get all excited up until it got about 1/3 of the way across and without warning it rebooted again. It then started loading again and then would reboot around the 1/3 mark. Rinse and repeat... Bummer.

Undeterred, I then started from scratch with Disk Manager to repartition the USB key again to create it using the manual method. This also seemed to be successful, as I was very careful to follow the instructions exactly. I was again able to boot from the USB key that I created, and complete the install just as I was before. Once it rebooted, I got the same result. About 1/3 of the way across, it would just reboot again and repeat.

I zapped the PRAM, with the same result. No difference.

So I tried holding down the Cmd-V to get the verbose version and I managed to snap the attached pictures before it rebooted. It's got some "Couldn't find Symbol" stuff. Also some "Kernel Extensions in backtrace" stuff that didn't look so good just before rebooting.

Any ideas? I don't know what I'm looking at exactly. Should I try reformatting the hard drive before attempting to reinstall? I don't think it should have any issues installing over an old Lion install, but maybe so?

Hoping someone can pass some ideas my way. Stumped.

Well, I booted using the USB key and used the disk utility to rebuild permissions on the off chance that it might be some kind of permissions problem on my target drive. Didn't work. Still does the same thing continuously.

Getting the same "kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOSEFI]: In interface com.apple.SMBIOSSymbols of __kernel__, couldn't find symbol _" with about 10 different variations of the message when verbose booting...

I just verified that Kernel is spelled correctly. It has a capital "K" if that matters. Should it be lower case? The PDF guide I printed out had a capital "K" for the folder name...

Could it be a corrupted installer download? Or does it look more like a boot.efi issue? I'll try the gray boot.efi and see if that helps. Nothing I saw during the key creation would indicate a corrupted download. It didn't give me any errors during the install either, so I didn't think it would be a problem with the installer. I hate to format the drive if I don't have to, but that may be my next step if nobody has any ideas. (See pictures on the original post to see the errors that I'm getting.)

Last edited:

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Hey Guys any word on Tiamo's Final? For Yosemite. Im looking to upgrade my Mac OSX 10.9.5 to Yosemite, I want the final build so everything will go smooth.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I followed this guide now my Mac is stuck in a Re booting Loop. I had to stick my old 7300gt back in to see what it was doing. It shows a black page with the apple and a status bar. gets about half way and then reboots.

Mac Pro 1,1 had Mavericks with Tiamo Efi. using Nvidia 650ti VC. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this

Hmm, nope. I cannot think of anything that might've gone wrong other than forgetting to set the settings.Check the txt file in the downloaded dmg for some help.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hey Guys any word on Tiamo's Final? For Yosemite. Im looking to upgrade my Mac OSX 10.9.5 to Yosemite, I want the final build so everything will go smooth.

Well Tiamo has been pretty much afk since posting his boot.efi. This a branch built on the work he did by Pike R Alpha for Yosemite. Currently the boot.efi works fine with the exception that it won't boot the Recovery HD. That part is still currently being worked on. You can always update your boot.efi files when a new one is released.

mhren

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Another Success Story -- Yosemite on 2006 MacPro

Here is my guide:

https://mega.co.nz/#!PsYHhRRA!_PLDTJAr7Qk4lcslmUghWi4eQd2JojZDA71au2981KY

It also includes links for either a black boot screen or the traditional grey boot screen.

I had been using the Chameleon method to run Mountain Lion and then Mavericks on my 2006 Mac Pro machines ... but Yosemite really made this a challenge. Even with the 2380_v3 boot I was able to get the installer going but then after upgrading my system volume to Yosemite (successfully) it would not boot again.

So ... Hennesie2000 to the rescue and this EXCELLENT guide !! I had not been aware of Tiamo's work since I'd had a pretty reasonable solution with Chameleon but this boot.efi approach is so much better.

I would really like to see your post here (#879 on page 36) linked back to the top of the thread .... while I have personally read the whole thread and did learn quite a bit seeing how this work has progressed, it makes a lot of sense to get what's pretty close to a definitive guide linked up at the top of thread.

BTW: it was almost humorous the response of the Apple Care support person when I gave them my machine serial number along with the code to get iMessage working ... yes, it is an old machine but it continues to work WONDERFULLY :)

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I had been using the Chameleon method to run Mountain Lion and then Mavericks on my 2006 Mac Pro machines ... but Yosemite really made this a challenge. Even with the 2380_v3 boot I was able to get the installer going but then after upgrading my system volume to Yosemite (successfully) it would not boot again.

So ... Hennesie2000 to the rescue and this EXCELLENT guide !! I had not been aware of Tiamo's work since I'd had a pretty reasonable solution with Chameleon but this boot.efi approach is so much better.

I would really like to see your post here (#879 on page 36) linked back to the top of the thread .... while I have personally read the whole thread and did learn quite a bit seeing how this work has progressed, it makes a lot of sense to get what's pretty close to a definitive guide linked up at the top of thread.

BTW: it was almost humorous the response of the Apple Care support person when I gave them my machine serial number along with the code to get iMessage working ... yes, it is an old machine but it continues to work WONDERFULLY :)

That post is linked in the first post along with direct links to both boot.efi files.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
I would really like to see your post here (#879 on page 36) linked back to the top of the thread
That was linked in the top of the thread as the guide in the post almost immediately after it appeared.

I was planning to reorganize that post a bit, it's quite verbose and could use a "quick guide" at the top so people don't miss key bits like that. May do that one day after work this week.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
That was linked in the top of the thread as the guide in the post almost immediately after it appeared.

I was planning to reorganize that post a bit, it's quite verbose and could use a "quick guide" at the top so people don't miss key bits like that. May do that one day after work this week.

I am going to try sharing it via this link. I added the steps to unlock the boot.efi in CoreServices since there were some questions on how to do that.

https://www.icloud.com/pages/AwBUCAESEIHvYxwJ7bfbQYZU8VqSphwaKdQEguSH2mGxgP5wk66iL6UtsMOX4MbJpAHpIQHV06hXsjj-VxPhjMWuMCUCAQEEIF5RLaPjoQEXqY55rowLfyEbKKz2FJoGHyk_VYi20E1F#Yosemite_on_a_Mac_Pro_1%2C1_or_2%2C1_-_Boot.efi_Method

This way I can edit it if needed and it will always be up to date with the right links when a new Recovery HD ready boot.efi is compiled. If this method of sharing doesn't work then I will go back to the PDF.

Last edited:

Mc1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Well, I booted using the USB key and used the disk utility to rebuild permissions on the off chance that it might be some kind of permissions problem on my target drive. Didn't work. Still does the same thing continuously.

Getting the same "kxld[com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOSEFI]: In interface com.apple.SMBIOSSymbols of __kernel__, couldn't find symbol _" with about 10 different variations of the message when verbose booting...

I just verified that Kernel is spelled correctly. It has a capital "K" if that matters. Should it be lower case? The PDF guide I printed out had a capital "K" for the folder name...

Could it be a corrupted installer download? Or does it look more like a boot.efi issue? I'll try the gray boot.efi and see if that helps. Nothing I saw during the key creation would indicate a corrupted download. It didn't give me any errors during the install either, so I didn't think it would be a problem with the installer. I hate to format the drive if I don't have to, but that may be my next step if nobody has any ideas. (See pictures on the original post to see the errors that I'm getting.)

Well, I replaced the black background version of boot.efi with the gray one on my USB key without any other changes and tried reinstalling again. Apparently the black version that I downloaded was incompatible with my system or is buggy. Not sure, but after a bit of frustration, it's finally working perfectly on my system! Thanks for all the work that went into this, Piker and the rest of y'all!

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Mac OS X Bootloader Commit 1130ecc413

Pike has added debug strings in commit 1130ecc413 of boot.efi trying to locate the bug that prevents the boot of the Yosemite Recovery HD on early Mac Pros. It compiles fine, but I can't test it myself (I can't easily reboot my computer in order to test it). Can anyone with a non-production early Mac Pro test the debug messages and report back to Pike?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.