2007-08 NBA season discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aloofman, Feb 6, 2008.

1. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I looked around and realized there didn't seem to be a thread for the current NBA season. (If there is and I missed it, I'm happy to close this one and join it.) Of course we're about halfway into the season already, but I figured we could jump right into it anyway. :cool:

Potential topics: What will the rest of the West do in response to the Gasol trade? What about today's rumors that Shaq might go to Phoenix? Who else could get traded before the trading deadline at the end of the month? Can the Celtics keep their momentum going through the playoffs? Will someone in New York finally fire Isiah Thomas?

Oh, and go Lakers! :D

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

go lakers!!!

this friday should lock up the mvp for kobe if they can pull out the win. cp3 vs.kb24... can't wait.

3. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I love the NBA, huge fan.

I'll preface my posts with some info about my preferences.

Former Team: Lakers (I like them alright, but I don't like Kobe)
    Most Skilled Player: Kobe
    Best Player: LeBron
    Most Valuable Player: Chris Paul
    Favorite Players (currently playing): Allen Iverson, Dwyane Wade, LeBron
    Favorite Player ever: Michael Jordan
    Most Annoying Comparison: Kobe to MJ. Not even close.
    Best Team this year: Celtics
    Best Team in the west: Spurs
    Best team next year: Lakers

OK, so now that that's out of the way, I was really sad about Enver (they have no D) losing last night. To the Sonics no less, what an embarassment.

BTW, in all my love of the NBA, I refuse to watch a Finals with the Spurs in it. Cutting my fingernails is more entertaining than watching the Spurs.

4. aloofman thread starter macrumors 68020

aloofman

I do want Kobe to win an MVP eventually, but I'm a firm believer that it shouldn't be a career achievement award a la Karl Malone in the 1990s. With that in mind, if the Hornets finish ahead of the Lakers in the West -- and maybe even if they don't -- I think Chris Paul should win it. When you look at the supporting cast that the two players have to work with, it's no contest. The Lakers have a better overall team. Except for David West, who is the least-noticed star in the league right now, their starters are one-dimensional. Chandler can rebound. Stojakavic can shoot from outside. And that's about it. The fact that Paul even has them in contention is really impressive.

Denver is a really frustrating team to watch. You get the feeling they have only a narrow window to work with because they can't afford to pay Iverson, Melo, AND Kenyon Martin for too much longer. It's a toss-up whether the team will show up on any given night.

The crazy thing is that it's unclear which seed I'd even want the Lakers to end up with because it depends on who they'd meet in the first round. I feel like they could beat Dallas or Houston or Utah. But San Antonio, Phoenix, or Golden State would be trouble.

That Portland could be really, really good within a year or two. That is a seriously athletic team.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Geez, to think that I thought that the NHL Season thread was bad.

Go Knicks! Oh. Right.

6. fotografica macrumors 68040

LMFAO!!!..Can anybody explain to me how in the world Isiah Thomas keeps getting jobs as an exec or head coach :confused: He must have a file cabinet full of pictures or something....

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I'm not really a basketball fan, FTR.

Isiah should be removed and the Dolans should surrender ownership. It's like the Reign of Terror.

I think you're right, he must have something to blackmail everyone with.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Phoenix, with Shaq. Uh-oh for the Lakers. And uh-oh next year. Shaq is going to lose 40 pounds and be incredible. I just put that on the record, I'll refer back to this next season. Utah is seriously good, I would not want to face them in the first round. I think that Golden State might be a sweep, I haven't been that impressed with them except for Monte Ellis. And everyone should be afraid of the Spurs. After all, it's easy to score on opponents after you put them to sleep.

9. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

Take (all-star) David West off that team and imo, they don't play 500 in the west. Kobe can play 500 ball with Kwame. WITH FREAKING KWAME!!! :D
    C'mon, David West & Tyson Chandler are having career years. CP is good, but those guys are having monster years. The Lakers are hated and every team gets up for them. Who cares about the Hornets? All the injuries, and their still at the top. Kobe has a busted pinky, Derek's playing with ligament damage in his foot, bynum, ariza... blah, blah, blah.

I guess by your logic, Paul will be MVP. I mean Nash won it 2 years in a row and Paul has put up better numbers than Nash in his MVP seasons. I guess as long as Lebron doesn't win, it's fair. The year Kobe averaged 35 and had 81 surely was an MVP type season, but sadly he came in third. That Laker team went 47-35. That team started Kwame, Smush, & fLuke. The fact Kobe took that team so far is mind boggling. That year, he really should have won MVP. Chris Paul is deserving this year, but I believe Kobe won't win 'cause he's hated by the media so much, not because Chris was better. That's it. Kobe will the important MVP award... the finals MVP.

10. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

Love Shaq 'cause he was a Laker, but how do you average 3 turnovers when you only average 8 shots a game.

One other thing... I can't stand how Shaq gets lazy wherever he goes. The fact you said he'll lose 40 lbs for next season proves that point. When he left L.A. he was huge, but he was in shape in Miami that fall. That irked me so much. Why didn't he do that when he was in L.A?

11. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Want to guess why?
    psssst. it's cp3

12. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

offensively, cp makes chandler better cause of the setups, but defensively, how does cp make him better. the guy can straight up ball. he's a good player.

david west is an all-star on any team. down the stretch of games, he seems like the go to guy. i dunno, i don't get to see them play that often.

also peja was a former all-star. he has a good team around him. he has talent.

i think picking up bonzi was a great move for them. that guy has issues, but the dude can ball.

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Well, this is a long shot, but Chandler could be dominating the defensive end because of his offensive success. He knows CP will reward him if he runs the court after good defensive plays. Also, with Peja: Peja has been terrible the past couple years. He had a few good ones with the Kings and he's been a nobody since then. Now he's having a great year.

I don't know who should win MVP. Stats say LeBron, skill says Kobe, value to the team says CP.

14. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i agree...

as long as lebron doesn't win, i'm fine with whatever. it just wouldn't be fair. it seems you're a hornet fan. i'm glad byron scott (ex-laker) is having success with you guys.

however, come friday, i hope the lakers thump the hornets. :)

15. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I actually am not a Hornets fan, I just really like point guards, the good ones are so talented because they are usually undersized but still doing incredible things in a league full of 6 footers.

I'm from southern california, but i ceased to be a laker fan when shaq left considering i don't like kobe's personality or attitude very much. i definitely wouldn't be mad if they won it though, it's not like i hate them. i really want the denver nuggets to do well, but that's looking like a longshot.

16. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

kobe...

it always seems people either love him or hate him. that's kind of sad you stopped being a laker fan when shaq let. it worked out in the long run, don't you think? don't get me wrong, i wish he stayed, but look what happens to him. he gets fat lazy, and his ego is just as whacked out as kobe's. i hated how he talked bad about miami when he left. he's the one that got all fat and out of shape again. whatever. i'll always like shaq 'cause of what he did for the lakers, but the guys work ethic just sucks.

denver is really hard to figure out, but it's obvious their lack of defense will get them no where. it's weird because when george karl was in seattle, didn't he emphasize defense a lot? that seattle game last nite must have been great to watch.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'll jump in this thread.

i really like Allen Iverson, so of course i'm really hoping Denver makes the playoffs. they do have some talent, but they don't always play like a team.

it's a tight race though for that last playoff spot

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm hoping:

- Lakers or Spurs don't win. For the Lakers to go out early would be fun fun fun.

- Golden State make the playoffs and Denver don't.

- Isiah gets kicked out at the end of the season.

19. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Im in Laker land trying not to get jumped when I say "Go Suns" ever so quietly :). BTW the Suns have been to more playoff games and more game 7s then any other team and have NEVER won a title. EVER. What a bummer

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i wouldn't mind seeing the Suns win. just not the Spurs

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I would love to see the Suns win.

22. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

well, friday has passed and the lakers not only won on friday nite, but demolished the spurs today. now the lakers are the 1 seed. what a crazy weekend!

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I think the Celtics are going to be unstoppable to be honest. They are so fun to watch now.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

as long as they beat the pistons. i can't stand them.

Denver is one win away from the playoffs!

25. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Lakers in the one seed, wow.

Guess who they have first round? That's right, Allen Iverson and the Nuggets. Let's see if he can pull off another Game 1 2001 NBA finals on 'em.