2010-2011 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dmr727, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It's getting close to that time of year, folks! The preseason polls haven't been released yet, but that doesn't mean we can't start arguing a little early.

I'm predicting a 10-2 regular season for my Longhorns, with back to back losses to OU (dammit) and Nebraska. Obviously a lot is going to depend on Garrett Gilbert and how the offense deals with its new look. We have an interesting non-conference game with UCLA. Normally I'd be confident about it, but the last time I was confident about a game against UCLA was in 1997...never mind...I don't want to talk about it. ;)

HOOK'EM!

[​IMG]

2. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Ahhhh...I have been waiting for this thread to appear. I'm really pumped for this year, though in reality we probably won't have a much better than last year. Our schedule isn't as tough as last year. It dropped from #1 (according to some sources) to #4 most difficult. We have to play at Alabama, at Florida, and at LSU. Just play the last four national champs in their home stadium. No problem. Ugh. Oh yeah, and we have to replace the school's all time leading rusher. No problem.

Given our history the past decade or so (2007 excepted) and our brutal schedule, I would be happy with 6 or 7 wins and a minor bowl.

As for your Horns...it will be tough replacing McCoy, but then again, we said the same thing after Vince Young. Given how weak the rest of the Big Texas...err, Big 12 is, I can see 10 wins. I don't know that Nebraska can pull it off, though. Texas usually seems to have that one loss to some team out of the blue such as A&M or Tech.

3. _Matt macrumors 6502

4. heesey1010 macrumors member

I'm honestly just glad I HAVE football tix this year (Florida runs off a lottery system and I was denied two years in a row).

But back to some crude analysis...it'll be interesting to see whether Brantley can bring a high-powered pass offense successfully back to the Gators, and I'll admit it's going to feel a tad weird not seeing a QB rush every two plays haha. It'll be either a cluster@#!$ at the top of the rankings though OR just one lonesome dominant team this year in my opinion.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Yezzir. We haven't lost any starters, we're going to be really good. The sanctions were too hash and now we're about to show the nation that USC doesn't back down and we'll go out there and fight as hard as anyone.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

As a Sooner fan, I would love for your scenario to work out. However, I am a little worried given OU's schedule.
    • 09/04/10 vs. Utah State
    • 09/11/10 vs. Florida State
    • 09/18/10 vs. Air Force
    • 09/25/10 at Cincinnati
    • 10/02/10 vs. Texas
    • 10/16/10 vs. Iowa State
    • 10/23/10 at Missouri
    • 10/30/10 vs. Colorado
    • 11/06/10 at Texas A&M
    • 11/13/10 vs. Texas Tech
    • 11/20/10 at Baylor
    • 11/27/10 at Oklahoma State

The Florida State, Air Force, Cincinnati leg right before the Texas game makes me nervous. Especially since we generally have a bye before Texas, but the game is a week earlier. If our O-Line plays like last year, then Landry Jones is screwed and so is our season. I am sure the South will again come down to UT and OU.

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You would be wise to be wary of Air Force. Those guys will surprise you. They're disciplined and make very few mistakes. You need to be on your A game when you play them.

Also, even though Utah State should be an easy win, they are on the up and up now and might be tougher than expected.

P-Worm

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm trying to be optimistic about my Gamecocks (University Of South Carolina) this season but i have a feeling it's going to be more of the same.

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

Given the way we played last year, we shouldn't be looking past anyone. Even Utah State.

11. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Damian Williams? Joe McKnight? Taylor Mays?

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I think A&M is looking at 8-4, at best, this year. They don't have a particularly difficult schedule, but the defense and special teams were so bad last year there's still a lot of pessimism in my heart.

Who is going to run the ball? If Mack and Greg decide to run the ball with someone other than the QB it will give Gilbert a much better chance of actually living up to the unrealistic hype the local media is putting on him. If not, a 2-2 start is a distinct possibility.

I'll be shocked if OU loses two games this year.

13. dmr727 thread starter macrumors G3

dmr727

That's a hell of a question. Tre' Newton is the first option, followed by Fozzy Whittaker and Cody Johnson. We have three starters on the offensive line that needed to be replaced. Obviously, our running game a big question mark. :(

If we go 2-2, I'm gonna end up committing hara-kari.

14. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm currently fretting this season. I was a video production intern with WVU. We are now being investigated for wrongdoing during the time that I was interning. I'm being completely honest. I talked to a buddy today that worked in compliance up there at WVU and he's convinced I will be contacted. I'll keep you all updated.

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think if Boise State beats Virginia Tech this season, we may be looking at a scenario where if Boise State goes the rest of the season undefeated they will be seriously considered for inclusion in the BCS title game--and the likely opponent will either be Ohio State (Ohio State has a workable schedule for an undefeated season) or a one-loss SEC school.

16. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Similar situation for TCU, starting at #7 and playing Oregon St. in the opener. It could make for an interesting scenario at the end of the year if one (or both) of these teams is undefeated and ranked in the BCS top 2, only to get magically jumped after the SEC/Big 12/ACC Championship Games.

I don't think it will actually happen, but UCLA should be a tough one early in the year and I think Tech is going to be a lot better than people think. The offense might not be there like it was under Leach, but the defense should be much improved under Tuberville.

17. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I feel like Virginia Tech actually has a legitimate shot at the champsionship this year. It won't be an easy road, but I think it is possible. Most of our offense is back and I think peaking this year. Our QB matured a lot last year and both our running backs are returning for the year. Our defense took some hits to graduation/draft last year, but I think there were enough good soph/jr players that will step up and fill those holes. Plus you always get some surprise new players that prove invaluable.

18. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

19. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Hahahahaha. Griffin is pretty good, but he's not that good. Peyton Manning wouldn't make a bowl game QB-ing this year's Baylor team.

20. gibbz macrumors 68030

Preseason Coach's Poll

Thoughts?

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Florida
    4. Texas
    5. Boise State
    6. Virginia Tech
    7. TCU
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Nebraska
    10. Iowa
    11. Oregon
    12. Wisconsin
    13. Miami (FL)
    14. Penn State
    15. Pittsburgh
    16. LSU
    17. Georgia Tech
    18. North Carolina
    19. Arkansas
    20. Florida State
    21. Georgia
    22. Oregon State
    23. Auburn
    24. Utah
    25. West Virginia

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Spoken like a true Bulldog. Yeah, I'd be happy with 6-7 wins including one at TSUN (inside joke, Steve'll get it).

BTW, if you have the 2010 Sports Illustrated SEC Preview, look on page 98 at the pic on the bottom of the page. That's me to the left of John Bond after Miss State's 6-3 win over Alabama in 1980. I was 17 years old and went to that game with my brothers and some friends. We went nuts. Great memory.

22. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I think 2-4 are all too high. Too many unknowns for Texas/Florida and Ohio State beating Oregon isn't enough to make me believe they can beat the top teams in the country.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I'll take a beating of TSUN any year. That win last year made yet another losing season much more bearable. :)

I'll have to check out that pic and see a young iSaint. I was only 8 when that happened, so I don't remember too much about it. I was the game in 1996 when we beat them again for the first time since that 1980 win. Another win that made a losing season much more bearable. I do have to say the 1997 win where J.J Johnson ran for 200+ yards against them was a lot of fun.

It should be interesting to see what Mullen can do with more experienced players and a QB built for the read option. If Relf can throw reasonably well, that offense should put up big numbers. I just hope Manny Diaz can improve that defense from last year.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I nearly **** myself. :D

25. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I could see Baylor going 6-6 optimistically. With my green and gold goggles on =D. We'll see how Griffin bounces back after his injury.