2010 Applecare Replacements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Apr 23, 2010.

1. migsev macrumors regular

Has anyone gotten a replacement unit for a late 2008 15"? If you have the $1999 model, which unit do they replace it with? It seems the low end 2.4ghz i5 outperforms even the 2.8ghz C2Ds in benchmarks so I was wondering if they send that one out or if they still send the $1999 model.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You'll most likely get the same model or the refreshed model with the integrated battery with the 9400M + 9600M GT GPU. You could try to ask for an i5 but more likely you'll get a Core 2 Duo model.

3. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Eh? Why is that? I thought Apple always used the current generation as the replacement units?

4. nconnella macrumors regular

I got my late 2008 replaced with the i7 15" because I had the 512mb GPU so I said I needed the same. If you had the 256mb GPU then you will most likely get the i5. Your other option is to get the 17" because it's the only unit with an express card slot. If you say you need express card (even if you don't) they will give you the 17".

P.S. pay the extra $100 for the High Res screen. It's worth it.

5. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Not too fussed about the i7 proc, but why can't they give you the i7 anyway if they're willing to give you the 17" model?

Anyway, my main source of confusion is this - I've got the late 2008 2.4ghz model, which cost $1999 at the time. Do they issue the 2.4ghz i5 ($1799) or the 2.53ghz i5 ($1999) in my case?

Thanks!

6. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

I just got my Late 2008 15in Replaced with a i5 17in base model. I had flickering issues and had it sent to the depot 3 times with no luck. They also refunded my applecare remaining balance.

I should get my new lappie on monday!

7. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

They dont look at price, since you could of bought it a Best buy, Amazon, or any other place at a reduced price. They look spec for spec, and the 1799 15in i5 matches the 2.4ghz c2d( I had the SAME exact computer).

I begged for a 17in for all my troubles with the stupid screen! FYI I had applecare, they tend to be more generous if you have that

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple never uses the current generation as replacement models. It is Apple's own discretion of they want to give you the newest model and they usually replace it with the same model since they have reserves. That's not to say they won't give you a current version of the MacBook Pro, you can definitely try to ask.

I think it's important for people to know how Apple handles replacements because surprisingly, many people believe that they're entitled to the latest model.

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

funny, i had 3 machines replaced in the last year....ALL with current models.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's cool. But again, people shouldn't read your post and expect to receive what you experienced. I think there were a few threads in the past with this problem.

11. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

I think having Applecare helps alot and it would depend on how much trouble you have been through to get a problem fixed.

12. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, looks like we're in the same boat. Mine has been flickering too. Top 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of the screen randomly flashes black.

I guess they'd send me the $1799 model then? I've got Applecare as well. If I have my Applecare refunded, can I use the refund as "credit" towards an anti-glare screen? Or is there any way I can have them round my Applecare off to 2 years?

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Definitely. OP never really stated what was wrong and why he was getting a replacement so I didn't want to say yeah you'll get a Core iX MacBook Pro because that wouldn't be the truth. Just thought OP should be aware of how Apple generally handles replacements and what he/she should expect. Of course OP can inquire about a Core iX replacement and might even get it.

You can transfer over your AppleCare or have the remaining time refunded and purchase a new AppleCare agreement for your replacement.

14. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

I just got cut a check without any options to due otherwise? So i guess you can ask what your options are, they might transfer it, give you store credit, use it for upgrades or cut you a check like they did for me.

Also if you ordered your apple care from say amazon, they require your reciept from that purchase and will refund you the prorated amount based on the reciept NOT what you would pay at apple. So I paid $299 for mine at amazon and it is $349 at the apple store, they will refund me the difference of $299.

15. ChristWolves macrumors regular

It is a different case for me in the UK. (I guess you guys are from the US)

I have got an Early-2008 MBP top-spec model with 512MB graphics. The hard drive was damaged with bad sectors three days after I got a new hard drive, so I got offered a replacement MBP.

HOWEVER, they only allows me to get the base model with the lowest spec, their reason being the base model is already better compared to my ex-MBP. I find no way to convince them that the 512mb is way greater than the 330M 256mb. So, they are shipping the base model with 256mb 330M for me.

BUT, I will try to call Applecare and tell them they have not got amy ExpressSlot on the 15", so just *fingers crossed* hope that they are willing to ship the 17" for me, just hope really... If not, I would also want to call them and ask if they could replace the top-end 512mb 330M for me, with luck of course.

16. jshbckr macrumors 6502

If I were you, I'd play ignorant and say that no one made it clear that you'd be losing your express card slot. Then claim that you need it for whatever purpose (said that you use eSATA drives for video production or something) and without that option, the computer is essentially worthless to you.

I'm sure they'd be more than happy to replace it with the 17" if you put it that way.

17. ChristWolves macrumors regular

Yea, exactly! But come to think of it, it might be kinda huge for me to lug around the campus though... My ideal one would be the high-end 15", but then I think I can either have the base 15" or the 17" model. :(

The bottomline is, I don't think Apple will be replacing ANOTHER high-end 15" MBP for my base model, but will likely to replace a 17" if I request to do so.

18. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

would apple replace a 2.66gz C2D 17" uMBP with an i5 or an i7 17"?
    since the i7 is 2.66 also, and the i5 is only 2.53

19. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Both of these are true, however, you probably won't have to pay for the hi-res screen if you had antiglare before hand and thats what you want this time. I'm typing this on my replacement i5 15 in hi res antiglare that i just got in the mail 2 days ago. I had a 2007 SR MBP that just got replaced. :) I didn't have to pay a cent for the upgrade.

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

the i5 most likely.

21. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I told apple i didn't even want the expresscard in my replacement, and they still made me sign a realese of liability saying that they offered me the 17 w/ express card and i turned it down in faver of a 15 in w/o expresscard. You shouldn't have any problems.

22. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Posting this from the new uMBP in my sig - the old box goes back to Apple on Monday :).
    JW

23. ChristWolves macrumors regular

Heyyy... That is not fair! :eek:

I paid £80 (+ £15 for administration fee) for the hi-res upgrade when I am having anti-glare on my early-2008 MBP! How did you convince them to give you this free upgrade? Any hints/tips?

As stated above, I also wanted the 512MB 330M BADLY, but then the store manager told the lady who served me that the 256MB 330M is already way better than my 512MB 8600m GT, which I disagree, but they said that's the way it works out. Take it or leave it. :(:(:(

@Fry-man22, I have the EXACT SAME MODEL as you, so did you pay to upgrade to the i7? Are you in the US?

24. Jwalker9 macrumors member

im typing on a replacement for my 2007 15 inch 2.4 C2D santa rosa. They offered me the base model 15 inch i5 2.4, and i was just grateful for the offer. I dont really care for the anti-glare bezel look, and don't need a hi-res screen to strain my eyes any more then i already do. Express card doesnt mean squat to me, and a 17 inch is too big to lug to school every day. I would have liked a slightly bigger hard drive than the stock 320, but other than that i am thrilled to have a new mbp!

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Apple always replaces with *new* current generation models based on the specs of your current machine. Also, I have never heard of someone being refused the ability to upgrade at the cost of difference in models, and sometimes a model upgrade is offered as a gesture of goodwill.

I used to work in Apple Sales and CS.