2010 MacBook Pros i5/i7 Having Freeze issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Photios, May 7, 2010.

1. green.on.green macrumors newbie

liar liar

bro, wtf - the pic u have posted is a hp machine...

2. marypierce13 macrumors newbie

3. matryska macrumors newbie

Could possibly be an external HP monitor attached to the MBP?

4. wes456 macrumors newbie

Just got my first ever mac, always been a lenovo/ibm guy till I thot Id give apple a try.... now im worried if I made the right move ...

Luv it... till it froze....

Was watching VLC media player with a normal avi file. After 15 mins into the movie, the video froze but the sound kept going. I could not do anything else so had to power off and on using the power button. Machine was totally unresponsive aside fromt he sound that kept going like the movie was just playing

I have a MBP 17 inch, i7/4gb/500GB 5400rpm hdd / Anti glare (if itmakes a difference)

5. xaquaticx macrumors regular

This is affecting me in Windows too. I'm guessing still it's NVIDIA's fault.

I'm very concerned. I'm leaning on returning it for the hard crashing issues. But I'm going to talk to Apple later today about it. I may wait a week or something since lots of my software will need complex reactivation. So I'm going to ask Apple whether they are planning to address the hard crashing issue with a software or driver update.

Any other folks with this issue? What does your Console say?

6. Doctor Edge macrumors newbie

My i7 MBP has frozen with a beachball a few times during light use (which is all I've done with it so far, really). Including once while I was browsing the Apple website in Safari.

I just figured it was something Macs did occasionally and let it go - disappointing as it was. Even Windows hasn't frozen solid on me for a long time.

I'm actually glad that it sounds like a more widespread problem... hopefully that means it will get fixed.

7. JS3 macrumors regular

Crazy I have a 15" i5 sitting here in the box unopened. Anyone think I should just return it and get the 13". Sucks these are freezing. I was between the Vaio CW27 that has about the same specs as this but without the aluminum case and long battery.

8. bigcat macrumors 6502

Freezing

I haven't read this whole thread but my two-day old machine is freezing. The screen freezes completely, the mouse pointer moves but nothing responds. If I close the screen, wait a few mins and open it up, the screen is now black. The mouse pointer still moves.

Also, sometimes the display gets messed up, garbled, like is not being refreshed fast enough. It seems like a GPU issue or something.

Appreciate any feedback. I am not running anything heavy or anything, it has frozen just browsing the web, etc.

I have the i7 configuration.

9. shadygrove macrumors regular

That's what I was about to say.

10. jimbo123456 macrumors newbie

i7 screen freeze

Hey was wondering if this has happend to anyone else, just got the stock i7 ,had it for about 3 weeks, and this has happened to me twice while running the iTunes visualizer minimised.

Reckon i should take it back ?

cheers

Attached Files:

11. xaquaticx macrumors regular

That looks exactly like what happens when you try to fullscreen Flash video on Core i5 MBPs with Gala plugin, the little white lines. Duno if that helps.

JS3 I would say yes swap it if and only if you need a computer RIGHT NOW that does not crash, like for business or something. i'm having it swapped for that very reason--I have business to conduct and this is NOT amusing. In fact this is pretty bad even for Apple. They really messed this line of MacBook Pros up.

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I was having lots of freezes on my 2010 MBP i7 (15", 7200rpm HD) - 5-10 per day. I RMA'd that MBP back to Apple and got a new one (exact same config) yesterday. So far I've had no freezes at all. Given that the old one was having so many issues and the new one is a clone of the old machine, I'm guessing that whatever hardware issue the old might have been having is fixed. It's amazing how nice it is to able to play COD4 without freezing every 20 min!

13. JS3 macrumors regular

Yeah thats what I thinking. I do use it for business so I do need it to work now. Think I will just go with the 13" and maybe through a SSD in there to make it a little quicker.

Starting to think apples only priorities right now are Ipod, Iphone and Ipad.

14. xaquaticx macrumors regular

Wow ksmith thank you for that input that gives me encouragement to replace.

JS3 I get that feeling too. That sucks. Also it sucks how Apple tries to tell us how to live our life now with "approving" apps and banning Flash and crap. They have kind of gone down hill lately. In my mind it's beginning to be a close call between Windows 7 and Mac. I'm still on the Mac side for now...But they better up their game a little bit. I'm also looking more and more at Android lately...iDuno. Maybe they need a new CEO. New management style and new ideas.

15. mkbook macrumors member

Mine just froze today. I was just browsing and nothing was responsive but I could move the cursor, then the cursor stopped responding. I let it sit for about 30 min and it was still frozen so I did a hard restart. In the morning I watched several youtube videos, played Portal, and no issues. Several hours later, just some light browsing, and it froze.

If people are getting exchanges and noticing the freezing has stopped, it definitely seems like a hardware issue. Maybe our units that are freezing has too much thermal paste on the vidcard and it's causing all these issues. I don't think it's the HD since people with SSD are reporting the same issue. It can't be the CPU since mine was less than 50 degrees when it froze.

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

17. xaquaticx macrumors regular

Mine was also cool every time of the freeze as I was doing light work and the room was cool so the computer was cool to barely warm. Certainly not really hot like it can sometimes get. Although I have to say although it gets warm that doesn't bother me. That's unavoidable with such a skinny computer (which is a stupid design IMO but whatever). I certainly don't use a it a lot with shorts on on my lap! Hah. But that's ok. As long as it works without crashing or yellow screen tint or crap wifi. Ugh. :(

18. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get it replaced. I've been pushing mine all day to try to get a freeze with no "luck". The new machine is perfect!

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I'm guessing you're not smart.. :rolleyes:

20. mkbook macrumors member

Thanks for this useful post.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Again, it's to point to the fact that not everyone is having this problem.

As I'm typing this on my i5 MBP, it's just coming to the end of an hour-long H.264 encode from handbrake. CPU temps' running a toasty 85C during this period, and I'm surfing the web and IMing as the encode runs. And not so much as a hiccup has happened.

So... maybe there's a bad batch of MBPs out there or something, but I too an still not having issues.

.....aaaand, it finished... CPU's back down to its normal 55C, the GPU switched back to Intel from Nvidia without a hitch, and still no problems.

22. bigcat macrumors 6502

Congratulations

23. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

16 days with my 15" i5 and zero problems, no freezing here.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I still havnt had any issues with my i7 17" mbp. *Knock on wood*.

25. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Was anyone trying to dispute that "point" ? Where's the quote?
    Did someone assert that "everyone is having this problem" ? Who?

Maybe?

We're trying to figure out what the precise fix might be for folks who are experiencing freezes.
    Any ideas what we should try next?

:confused: Wanna swap MacBooks then?

--

Let's make it official: we now have enough "I'm not having this problem" type of posts to rule out the possibility that *every*single* MBP has this freezing issue (which probably was never in question to begin with... otherwise AnandTech, Laptop magazine, Notebook Check, CNET, and every other reviewer would have already alerted us).

Thanks.

[EDIT: cue 500 more "no problem here" replies.]