Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Not to be nitpicky, but the Yankees won 4 in 5 years: 96, 98, 99, 00 (WAY too much Patriots talk! ;)) That may be the last true "dynasty" we see.

And ironically, the Braves got "Team of the 90's" engraved on their 1 world series ring. And people think the Yanks are arrogant! :D

Oh, don't worry, baseball team arrogance is not mutually exclusive. :p And no one wants to hear about that time period I like to refer to as "the black days of baseball." Clearly there was no god until 2001 and beyond. ;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Not to be nitpicky, but the Yankees won 4 in 5 years: 96, 98, 99, 00 (WAY too much Patriots talk! ;)) That may be the last true "dynasty" we see.

And ironically, the Braves got "Team of the 90's" engraved on their 1 world series ring. And people think the Yanks are arrogant! :D

It was more like team of the '90s in the national league, or baseball's second best team of the '90s. They were still an impressive bunch of guys and their pitching rotation is the best ever in baseball history. The stomped all over my teams even more than the Yankees in the 1990s.

If four wins is what is a dynasty is as some of you are saying here, then it's the Yankees '90s/'00s (including 2009, too because of some of same guys) with their five championships and Bulls in the 90s with their six in the last 25 years.

Brady and the Patriots are one win away from four championships with same QB and coach at least. Eli and the Giants and Big Ben and the Steelers are still young enough to conceivably be teams that could get four championships before their careers are over. I would still find Aaron Rodgers with three more Super Bowls in his career as a more distinct possibility than either Eli or Big Ben picking up two more. I think what you say about the '90s Yanks (96, 98, 99, 00, 09) being the "last" true dynasty may be true, but I would like to think that somebody in some sport can put together at least four under a coach and/or a few players. I don't know how many people the Bulls brought with them through their six championships but I grew tired of seeing the same Yankees win over and over and they lived up to the name of being the "Damn Yankees".

It was at that time I knew exactly why so many people hated them. They won too much and there's no evidence that they are going to simply go away or have a slump. The closest thing in the NFL we have to a perennial postseason team are the New England Patriots, and with the coaching and pride they have, can be a power with or without Tom Brady. They could string together an overall winning streak like the pre-Super Bowl Browns, Packers, or later era Cowboys and 49ers and be a legitimate 15 year winning team in almost every one of those 15 years. If they get a great QB to replace Brady in later part of this decade, then they could be great until 2020-21 and be a pain to anybody in the AFC East and Coach BB could be out there in most postseasons for two decades like Landry and the Cowboys were with 19 of 21 years in either 1st or 2nd place in their division, 5 Super Bowls splitting those, and making it to 3 extra NFC Championship games after that.

If the Patriots get into Super Bowl, they will surpass what Landry did and they have already done a better split of the five SB games winning 3 where the Cowboys won 2. For BB to catch up with Landry on longevity with one team, he would have to be 1st or 2nd in AFC East for probably another seven of nine years. What Landry had was a long dynasty with all those Super Bowl trips, NFC games, and division 1st places and BB is 2/3rds of the way there. My 49ers were a legitimate threat for two decades but did it under three coaches, not one like Landry.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

That is Ted Turner's doings. He's branded/billed them as "America's Team".

They are not. More people like the Yankees, Dodgers and or Cubs than the Braves.

And, sadly, in American football it is the Dallas Cowboys.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Horrible timing by Michael Crabtree........whether he did sexually assault that girl or not, he shouldn't be putting himself in these situations and causing distractions at this point in the season :(

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Who I want to win: Ravens (just because I want to see Ray Lewis retire a champion)

Most exciting matchup/matchup I'd like to see: Patriots and 49ers.

Least exciting matchup: Ravens and Falcons (a game where I hope the Ravens win, see above).

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Who I want to win: Ravens (just because I want to see Ray Lewis retire a champion)

Least exciting matchup: Ravens and Falcons (a game where I hope the Ravens win, see above).

Agree, if it can't be my 49ers I'd love for the Ravens to win it. Baltimore is the 2nd team I cheer for because of Lewis and Reed......not sure if I'll continue to cheer for them after those guys are gone.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

Why do people forget the thug that he is and always praise him. The game is going to be who is the lesser of 2 evils, Patriots or Ravens. I don't like either.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Agree, if it can't be my 49ers I'd love for the Ravens to win it. Baltimore is the 2nd team I cheer for because of Lewis and Reed......not sure if I'll continue to cheer for them after those guys are gone.

Hah, same. I'm a University of Miami fan (despite what others may say or think about that school/program) so it's natural to cheer for Ray and Ed (though I wish McGahee was still on the Ravens...).

While watching the Ravens won't be the same when Ray leaves and eventually Ed, I still like Flacco. I'm not saying he's an elite QB, but I think he's underrated or doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's made an impact since he joined the team in a positive way on the field.

Why do people forget the thug that he is and always praise him. The game is going to be who is the lesser of 2 evils, Patriots or Ravens. I don't like either.

I'm not voting him in for saint of the year, I'm acknowledging and respecting him for the game of football and for that, he deserves to be champion before he retires.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

IMO you can't forget what Ray Lewis was accused of doing or involved in, but you also have to look at what hes done and stood for after that. No one will really know besides those directly involved what happened that night, but at that point Lewis had a choice to continue down that path or to make himself better and he made the right decision.........so yes, no matter if he was directly involved or just at the scene, there is blood on his hands and someone lost their kid, but you can't hold that 1 thing against him and look past all the good hes done since then.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
IMO you can't forget what Ray Lewis was accused of doing or involved in, but you also have to look at what hes done and stood for after that. No one will really know besides those directly involved what happened that night, but at that point Lewis had a choice to continue down that path or to make himself better and he made the right decision.........so yes, no matter if he was directly involved or just at the scene, there is blood on his hands and someone lost their kid, but you can't hold that 1 thing against him and look past all the good hes done since then.
The problem is you have a commissioner who is throwing the book at everyone for simple wrong doing yet he is hugging Ray lewis and saying what great role model he is.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
The problem is you have a commissioner who is throwing the book at everyone for simple wrong doing yet he is hugging Ray lewis and saying what great role model he is.

Well Tagliabue was still the comish when this all went down and things were a lot more free reign when he was running the show. Also, Lewis was acquitted and granted he struck a deal, he was never convicted. I know an acquittal isn't the same as 100% for sure he didn't do it, but Ray has been a pretty model citizen prior to that and since then. He is 1 of the all time greats and will probably be remembered that way.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
He is 1 of the all time greats and will probably be remembered that way.
Every time I see him the first thing I think is "Where is the white suit?" I highly doubt I'm the only one that thinks that way. Some will remember him as an all time great and some will remember him as a guy who got away with it.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Every time I see him the first thing I think is "Where is the white suit?" I highly doubt I'm the only one that thinks that way. Some will remember him as an all time great and some will remember him as a guy who got away with it.

Definitely not and I will always remember that about him as well, but I also remember all he has done on the field.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Then you guys should all be rooting PATRIOTS! :D

Just kidding, I know this is probably a torturous matchup for most of you. I'm excited, though. I love playoff football, even moreso when my team is in it. Just hoping it's a clean game with no significant injuries or interference by the officials.

T-minus 24 hours. And good luck to MacDawg, 63dot, and everyone else whose team is playing tomorrow.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Then you guys should all be rooting PATRIOTS! :D

Just kidding, I know this is probably a torturous matchup for most of you. I'm excited, though. I love playoff football, even moreso when my team is in it. Just hoping it's a clean game with no significant injuries or interference by the officials.

T-minus 24 hours. And good luck to MacDawg, 63dot, and everyone else whose team is playing tomorrow.

Will definitely be rooting Pats... my team after the Falcons
Would love to see a Pats - Falcons SB with my 2 fav teams

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

i still think he is a murderer.

he has been on a winning SB team. once is enough. the last time he won a title somebody got murdered.

other than that i'd love for it to be a "Harbowl" though and the 49ers win.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Would love to see Patriots vs Niners. Pats rarely loose to the same team twice. Ravens game will be hard, but Im confident Pats win.

But a have a feeling Ryan can take it to the Niners. Colin Kaepernick is playing way over his head and is ready to fall.

It seems lots of folks here hate the Patriots. I love that.:D

Patriots 32 Ravens 17
Atlanta 21 49ers 13

Patriots win SuperBowl 35-21

The Dynasty Will Be Established :p

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Would love to see Patriots vs Niners. Pats rarely loose to the same team twice. Ravens game will be hard, but Im confident Pats win.

But a have a feeling Ryan can take it to the Niners. Colin Kaepernick is playing way over his head and is ready to fall.

It seems lots of folks here hate the Patriots. I love that.:D

Patriots 32 Ravens 17
Atlanta 21 49ers 13

Patriots win SuperBowl 35-21

The Dynasty Will Be Established :p

49ers got it this year kid :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.