Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It never quite works out like that (thankfully).
Seems like ages since the last race.

It does seem like ages since the last race. These summer breaks (although necessary for the teams) are excruciating. F1 withdrawal. I just hope Vettel doesn't come back recharged and that Ricciardo continues to hold his edge.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
RAstVwQ.png

hooray!! the caterham doesn't look ridiculous anymore!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks like we are all set for Nico verses Hamilton again then. At least they are both at the front of the grid, so should both have a fair chance. Just hope it gets decided by some wheel to wheel racing, not reliability or a slightly quicker pit stop.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Just hope it gets decided by some wheel to wheel racing, not reliability or a slightly quicker pit stop.
Hamilton seems to get consistently slower and more error-prone pit stops than Rosberg. I'm not sure why. Don't they use the same crew for both cars?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Looks like we are all set for Nico verses Hamilton again then. At least they are both at the front of the grid, so should both have a fair chance. Just hope it gets decided by some wheel to wheel racing, not reliability or a slightly quicker pit stop.

bottas wins after nico and lewis screw up the start…

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hamilton seems to get consistently slower and more error-prone pit stops than Rosberg. I'm not sure why. Don't they use the same crew for both cars?

Nico slips them a few quid!

----------

bottas wins after nico and lewis screw up the start…

Only if the two Mercs hit each other. Hopefully that doesn't happen, otherwise there will be team orders at every race.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Nico and Lewis go at in the first corner and they are both out. Vettel takes the lead and holds it til almost the end. Fernando waves at Vettel as he goes past Vettels broken car on the last lap. Fernando wins....who cares who comes in second:D Well I can dream... As Fernando is getting a drive through penalty looks pretty slim. Oh well, dry race should be a good'un

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Nico and Lewis go at in the first corner and they are both out. Vettel takes the lead and holds it til almost the end. Fernando waves at Vettel as he goes past Vettels broken car on the last lap. Fernando wins....who cares who comes in second:D Well I can dream... As Fernando is getting a drive through penalty looks pretty slim. Oh well, dry race should be a good'un

he he he. that would have been great!

good race anyway though. Bottas will win one day. Fernando will win again too… i hope.

p.s. anyone notice how close my predictions were? nico 2nd…

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
nico is going to nudge lewis off buy accident and finish second.

Wow! What a prediction.

Can I have this weeks lottery numbers please?

Toto (I love that name!) did not sound happy post race. There is going to be a fun debrief this afternoon. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one. At the end of the day, Hamilton could have just lost the championship through no fault of his own.

Well done to Ricardo and Bottas. Both getting podiums with not the best cars. Certainly putting their team mates to shame (again).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Hamilton claims Rosberg said in a team meeting after the race that he didn't back off on purpose, to "prove a point."

What a mess. I doubt Rosberg banged into Hamilton on purpose. He did mess up though. Lewis had the corner by a wide margin and Rosberg should have backed off just a fraction to avoid the collision. Usually there is not a puncture in these situations and Rosberg risked ruining only his own race by damaging his front wing. Hamilton is just not having much luck.

This, or something similar, was inevitable. They should have had an agreement wherein the car sitting in first is not challenged directly until later in the race.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm not sure I understand why the collision caused Hamilton so many problems. Is it because the contact with Rosberg's wing damaged his transmission?

I have to say that the Spa circuit looked fantastic. Maybe I'm prejudiced but it just looked like a great race circuit, with the trees and the noticeable elevation changes, that newer tracks like those in Malaysia and Shanghai just don't seem to have.

My only complaint was the coverage here in the US, on NBC, was all but ruined by commercials that seemed unerringly to coincide with significant developments on the track.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm not sure I understand why the collision caused Hamilton so many problems. Is it because the contact with Rosberg's wing damaged his transmission?
I suppose driving 2/3rds of a lap with one badly damaged tyre caused some more problems. The body of the car is lower than it should be and probably touches the road.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
He was so far behind everybody after driving round nearly a full lap (remember Spa is one of the longest circuits), that even in a undamaged car he was way behind.

The torn up tyre damaged the floor which resulted in a loss of downforce and the car handling like a dog (or Caterham!).

There may also have been some differential issues.

I just hope Nico has some problems in the next race. He didn't do it on purpose, but he was clearly in the wrong. He knew if he let Hamilton get away, he wouldn't have caught him.

It's going to be frosty at work for the two of them for the rest of the year, and after today I guess he is of Lewis's Christmas card list.

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
I'm not sure Toto, Niki and the rest at Mercedes would be quite so upset about this if the tyre was punctured in an incident with, say, Alonso or Vettel - it would have been chalked up to just a racing incident against a competitor that they were racing and life would go on.

The fact that they are so upset with this because it was Rosberg that punctured the tyre says more about the parlous manner in which Mercedes has skirted around the whole 'no team orders let the drivers race' issue than it does about Rosberg making any kind of mistake. In this scenario, Rosberg should be viewed in exactly the same light as Alonso or Vettel in my example above - what Mercedes have failed to realise or manage is that each of their drivers is a competitor to the other and that the other is racing.

I do wonder what the situation between the drivers would be if Ross Brawn was still managing this team. Not sure of his credentials, but Toto Wolff does strike me as a rather inept manager of men.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
wow! What a prediction.

Can i have this weeks lottery numbers please?

Toto (i love that name!) did not sound happy post race. There is going to be a fun debrief this afternoon. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one. At the end of the day, hamilton could have just lost the championship through no fault of his own.

Well done to ricardo and bottas. Both getting podiums with not the best cars. Certainly putting their team mates to shame (again).

37 24 52 16 62 05

i get 1/5

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

Some chatter that Nico hits his marks in the pits better than Hammy does, since I heard this I've watched closely and there does seem to be some truth to it.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Not as an out and out racer IMO.

I agree... at least this season in equal cars Lewis is a bit faster but that doesn't really mean everything in today's F1 where strategy, fuel conservation, and your car is more important than the driver :p

Nico did the right thing. He fought for his line like Lewis did in Bahrain. To win the title in a tight race you may need to do some unpopular things. Lewis managed the PR situation a bit better and publicly came out of this the winner. Doesn't necessarily mean he will be world champion because of it though.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I agree... at least this season in equal cars Lewis is a bit faster but that doesn't really mean everything in today's F1 where strategy, fuel conservation, and your car is more important than the driver :p

Nico did the right thing. He fought for his line like Lewis did in Bahrain. To win the title in a tight race you may need to do some unpopular things. Lewis managed the PR situation a bit better and publicly came out of this the winner. Doesn't necessarily mean he will be world champion because of it though.

Next year could be untenable if Nico and Lewis stay at Mercedes. The difficulty is there aren't many good drives available. Maybe a Mercedes swap for Lewis and Vettel? Hamilton appears to be winning the internal war at Mercedes at least, with a degree of luck helping Rosberg's championship attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.