Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Only in New York would this kind of long goodbye actually fly. First Mariano, now Jeter. They are both legends and first ballot Hall of Famers, but they would have never received the kind of season-long genuflecting farewell parade if they played their entire careers in, say, Kansas City. The media tail wagging the dog, again.

Stick a fork in the Giants. Angel Pagan is done for the season, finally going under the knife to fix that bulging disk in his back.

I assume they'll still make the wildcard play-in game against the Pirates. I'd almost rather they not get past that hurdle, only get flattened by the Nationals.

I think it goes both ways. Guys who don't perform in places like NY and Boston don't get the same flack that they get in big markets. It's just the nature of the beast. And the times that we live in.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So Jeter's last home game night not happen if the weather holds true. Lets hope the rain ends early.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The rain should be over by game time. Even if they have a delay I don't see them not getting this game in. They will wait until 10pm to start this one if they have too.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Only in New York would this kind of long goodbye actually fly. First Mariano, now Jeter. They are both legends and first ballot Hall of Famers, but they would have never received the kind of season-long genuflecting farewell parade if they played their entire careers in, say, Kansas City. The media tail wagging the dog, again.

It shouldn't fly. At no point during his career was he the best player on his team.

----------

Olbermann is an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UJ9VZB508

Rain is supposed to end early, so hopefully they get the game in.

Except that he's 100% correct. This parade is silly, especially when you consider the Yankees would be better if Jeter weren't playing shortstop this season.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
It shouldn't fly. At no point during his career was he the best player on his team.

----------

Except that he's 100% correct. This parade is silly, especially when you consider the Yankees would be better if Jeter weren't playing shortstop this season.

Chipper got huge ovations and gifts everywhere he went, and he was from a small market team

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

----------

Jeter playing SS is not why the Yankees are out of the playoffs this year. And his play has been a big reason why they won 5 championships.

Would he have been this good on the Royals, no. And neither would Tom Brady be as good with the Raiders.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Chipper got huge ovations and gifts everywhere he went, and he was from a small market team

Nothing like this nonsense. Also, Chipper was better than Jeter.

Jeter playing SS is not why the Yankees are out of the playoffs this year. And his play has been a big reason why they won 5 championshiosl

He didn't do much in terms of helping, for sure. He's terrible.

----------

Jeter playing SS is not why the Yankees are out of the playoffs this year. And his play has been a big reason why they won 5 championships.

Would he have been this good on the Royals, no. And neither would Tom Brady be as good with the Raiders.

Only one of those was with Jeter "leading the team".

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nothing like this nonsense. Also, Chipper was better than Jeter.

He didn't do much in terms of helping, for sure. He's terrible.

----------

Only one of those was with Jeter "leading the team".
Explain how Jeter is Terrible. He is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not trolling, just stating the facts. He's not a good baseball player anymore, this parade is silly, and your fanaticism is frightening.
Sorry that you never had a player help win you 5 rings, but that is no reason to call him a horrible player. This season is more about his career not his age. You needed to watch his career to know his greatness.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry that you never had a player help win you 5 rings, but that is no reason to call him a horrible player. This season is more about his career not his age. You needed to watch his career to know his greatness.

I did have a player lead a team to break an 88 year World Series drought, but that's not the point. Jeter now is bad because he's bad. That's all there is to it.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
He is clutch and he just proved it again.

Absolutely nuts.

As a Yankees fan I've appreciated every minute. Seeing all of the old highlights, Bernie, Tino, and the rest of the guys on the field. It was awesome.

This was for us more than anyone else. And everyone hates the Yanks and their fans, so no surprise by the reactions of everyone else. :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Absolutely nuts.

As a Yankees fan I've appreciated every minute. Seeing all of the old highlights, Bernie, Tino, and the rest of the guys on the field. It was awesome.

This was for us more than anyone else. And everyone hates the Yanks and their fans, so no surprise by the reactions of everyone else. :D
Jeter has played his last game at shortstop. But he will DH in Boston. #classact

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't believe that actually happened.

Meaningless game for both teams, I'm sure the pitcher was instructed to slow pitch to Jeter.

I can't wait for the end of the season, because I'm tried of everyone genuflecting at the alter of Jeter. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player, one of the few folks that seemed to have character and while he was a yankee, he was respectable. With that said, it was getting tired how ESPN was just bowing down at everything Jeter and every baseball team was showering him with gifts. The man has enough money to own a Hawaiian island and we're giving him stuff?

[/rant]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.