Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I can. You throw a terrible meatball pitch to a below average baseball player and he's still going to hit it.

Jeter has been clutch in the past. This wasn't it. This was ESPN/Disney magic movie finish nonsense.

LOL Do you really believe that?

I wonder why these guys don't hit home runs on every pitch in the home run derby?

Derek Jeter could have gotten a meatball and hit a line drive right to the shortstop. Or the third baseman. You still have to hit it where they aint... :D

----------

Meaningless game for both teams, I'm sure the pitcher was instructed to slow pitch to Jeter.

I can't wait for the end of the season, because I'm tried of everyone genuflecting at the alter of Jeter. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player, one of the few folks that seemed to have character and while he was a yankee, he was respectable. With that said, it was getting tired how ESPN was just bowing down at everything Jeter and every baseball team was showering him with gifts. The man has enough money to own a Hawaiian island and we're giving him stuff?

[/rant]

Your first mistake is paying attention to ESPN....

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Chipper Jones (and Cal Ripken before him) got quite a lot of national media love. Nowhere near the hype and undivided attention that Jeter received this season, though.

One could make a very strong case that Jeter was the best player on those classic Yankees teams. Either him or Bernie Williams IMO, but I'd give the edge to Jeter.

I would have to agree that Chipper was a better overplayed than Jeter. Much better hitter. He only won one ring, but it's a team game, after all.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Meaningless game for both teams, I'm sure the pitcher was instructed to slow pitch to Jeter.

I can't wait for the end of the season, because I'm tried of everyone genuflecting at the alter of Jeter. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player, one of the few folks that seemed to have character and while he was a yankee, he was respectable. With that said, it was getting tired how ESPN was just bowing down at everything Jeter and every baseball team was showering him with gifts. The man has enough money to own a Hawaiian island and we're giving him stuff?

[/rant]

And I'm sure Meek intended to get the game winning run on base and DRob intended to blow the save just to give Jeter "his moment".

Lol

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Although I understand intimately the season-long heiny-smooching is annoying to almost all non-NYY fans, at this point it's over. I feel like it doesn't hurt anyone to just let the NYY fans have their goodbye.

Regardless of where you think his skill level places him among the all-time greats, the fact remains that Jeter was one of the good ones, played the game right, and respected the fans. Last night was pretty cool for them and for baseball, even if you're a baseball cynic.

And his last season ending with the Yankees missing the playoffs is something all the rest of us can enjoy. :D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Leave it to the ringling brothers aka Larry Lucchino and Tom Werner to go waaaaaay over the top with honoring Jeter.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Giants have to face Volquez and that guy's movement on the ball is amazing. Though not a youngster, he's at his best in his career and our Madbum has to pitch the best game of his career and our hitters somehow have to produce which hasn't been their forte of late. Wild card is over there.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Giants-will-travel-to-Pittsburgh-for-5786690.php

Yep. I have zero expectations for this game. I actually want the Pirates to go deep into the postseason if they beat us. MadBum can do the job, I just don't know that our hitters can solve Volquez.

If the Giants were to win their third title in 5 years, this would be by far their most improbable run. All the injuries and inconsistency since May turned to June.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Yep. I have zero expectations for this game. I actually want the Pirates to go deep into the postseason if they beat us. MadBum can do the job, I just don't know that our hitters can solve Volquez.

If the Giants were to win their third title in 5 years, this would be by far their most improbable run. All the injuries and inconsistency since May turned to June.

He's one of those guys who have that unfortunate wind up that looks exactly the same and what may look like a super fastball like he's famous for could be a wicked curve or amazing changeup.

I can see how he confuses batters and not since the As/Giants Barry Zito have I see batters so far off the mark of a pitch. It almost looks like Volquez has a magic magnet on the ball as you see people swinging at balls that are extremely wide. He's at his career best 3.04 ERA at age 31 and he's just one who took a little longer to bloom. Actually before he got hurt, Tanaka or the NYY had batters swinging in the wind unable to read his pitches.

Due to some the Giants and their major hitting slumps several times this year, Volquez is the worst type of pitcher they could face.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
KC's my team, baby!

Giants are my NL team and A's are my AL go to but now that you disposed of Oakland, I wish you the best. This has been a long time for you guys and this year could be the one. We went for many years without when the Giants won in 2010 and many years without even a single WS championship when the Angels won back in 2002. LA is always a threat and for the NL side this year, it's theirs to lose imho.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
That's like rooting for the Mets and Yankees at the same time. Blasphemy.

I guess some see it that way but around here it's no biggie and most A's fans I know like Giants and vice versa. What we don't like as Giants fans is the LA Dodgers. But I don't hate them though like some Giants fans.

I guess in NYC you have your one team and given their history I totally understand. When it comes to the Yankees, I have met so many root for the other team in a way it was like NYY versus everybody else and that has its own history.

Being that you guys have more rings than all our teams combined (ie- Giants plus A's plus Angels plus Dodgers and then some) it's the rest of the USA against NYY.

Anyway, here's a bay area baseball fan:

http://www.49ers.com/news/blog/arti...-Simpson/2bf2a444-5e26-4d88-bdc4-d9f6d8cab81f

----------

Heck might as well through Angels and Dodgers in that mix.... Blasphemy to say the least!

I don't so much mind the Angels even though we lost to them, but there's a real long term rivalry on both coasts with the Dodgers. In my lifetime I have usually seen the Dodgers as the better team but of late we have to two recent championships and LA only has the distant past.

I certainly didn't like our Brian Wilson (closer) going to the Dodgers. That being said they are a really dangerous team and are probably up there with Washington as the ones to be to win it all. But we got Dodgers legend Dusty Baker to rebuild Giants into a long term national league contender and it gave pride back to the team in a way that wasn't there since Willie Mays.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.