Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So what is it about the media and all of you so called "fans" that hate a midwest Series? I mean, is it just haterade due to the fact for the better part of 10 years, the Central teams are consistently there, w/out all the big spending that the East and West coast have to do....? I guess I just don't understand. I am a Cards fan however...

Pretty much. Plus, we're just flyover country to some people. I'd be shocked if half of the people whining about a potential KC-STL World Series could locate either city on a map.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
So what is it about the media and all of you so called "fans" that hate a midwest Series? I mean, is it just haterade due to the fact for the better part of 10 years, the Central teams are consistently there, w/out all the big spending that the East and West coast have to do....? I guess I just don't understand. I am a Cards fan however...

I don't hate the potential Midwest series. I am really happy for the Royals and will be rooting for them all the way. I just got back from Kansas and the fans were really excited, it was fun to see. The Cardinals, on the other hand, are no favorites of mine. The media (hello Mr. Homer himself, Joe Buck) tries to make a moral play and act like the Cardinals and their fans are somehow better than other teams and their fans. Or that they're "better" because they're a small market team. As if the entire St. Louis area and large swaths of the Midwest is small. News flash, their $111 million payroll isn't peanuts, either. That drives me crazy - that they're somehow purer or some such garbage. It gets old - they're just like fans of every other team. Give them credit for being wildly successful as of late (although not against my Red Sox), and let's not make this about moral superiority.

I went to a Royals game at Kauffman Stadium about 8-9 years ago. It was an inter-league game between the Cardinals and Royals, and the Cardinals fans around us were complete dicks. They talked nothing but trash about how bad the Royals were and how their fans would never know what winning was, etc. I happened to be incognito at the time, but it was particularly funny to me because I was a Red Sox fan and we had just whooped them in the World Series. The "best fans in baseball" narrative is dumb and will obviously annoy fans of other teams.

That said, I always enjoy seeing new teams and new fans get into the postseason, so the Cards/Giants series holds about as much appeal to me as watching a beer league softball game. I'm sure people feel similar about the Red Sox/Yankees.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Cardinals fans, " I'm tired of seeing the Yankees in the postseason/World Series every year"

" Yeah my Cardinals are in the World Series again!!!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

So at what point do you guys start hating the Cardinals for being the new Yankees if you are truly tired of seeing the same team in the WS/postseason every year?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Cardinals fans, " I'm tired of seeing the Yankees in the postseason/World Series every year"

" Yeah my Cardinals are in the World Series again!!!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

So at what point do you guys start hating the Cardinals for being the new Yankees if you are truly tired of seeing the same team in the WS/postseason every year?
The only difference is the Yankees usually don't choke in the World Series. :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
My Giants can become a dynasty if they at least get their 3rd in a short period of time but have had real dog years in between championships and trips to postseason so maybe they are not consistent enough to be put into the same context as Yankees, old school A's and Reds, and current Red Sox.

The Cardinals can get their 3rd also but their added NL pennant last year and a few other years that were good in that period makes them a dynasty already. We had Bonds and while that was good in its high profile milestones Bonds had in SF, I think Pujols did more on a team that also had depth. With or without Pujols the Cards could get the job done but Pujols often slammed the nail in the coffin on gameday. I want to beat the Cards in NLCS but if they go all the way, it shows that for this time period in baseball they are comparable to 90s era Yankees and Pujols will retire from baseball one day the way Jeter got all the accolades recently. But I don't see people hating the Cardinals because even with all their rings, they have not won half the titles of the damn Yankees. Even when the Yankees don't make postseason, they are still the news, especially with Jeter and sometimes even with disarray and politics in their leadership. America loves to hate the Yankees. If football had a team that won one out of every four Super Bowls everybody would hate them, too.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
There's no all orange World Series.

Baltimore lost four in a row and Kansas City is going to the World Series. Cinderella is in the house as a wild card team sent home their second division team champion.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Baltimore lost four in a row and Kansas City is going to the World Series. Cinderella is in the house as a wild card team sent home their second division team champion.

Pulling for the big KC against the winner of the NL. Would love to see this team beat them in four! :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Pulling for the big KC against the winner of the NL. Would love to see this team beat them in four! :D

KC looks totally unstoppable. You could say it's a destiny thing where all the breaks go their way, but I say it's not that at all and KC simply dominates everybody.

Both the Cardinals and Giants have won this big dance recently so neither will be easy to sweep in the WS. Other than those two cities, I can see the rest of America being Royals fans for this series and it's pretty safe to say the Royals really took over a lot of non-Royals fans. Back in 2004, due to a similar Cinderella story, I was pulling for the Red Sox. It's been a dog's age for KC. Remember that KC has Alex Smith over at their football team and this could potentially be an all-KC sports year.

I want the Giants to first beat the Cards and then get onto KC, but if it's the Cards, then it's a rematch of 1985 where the Royals prevailed over the Cardinals. I don't remember that one but then again it's almost three decades. Tom Cruise had not made Top Gun yet, Bon Jovi had not broken out with Slippery When Wet, and Ronald Reagan was in his first year of his second presidential term. Gas was a whopping $1.20 a gallon and a dozen eggs set you back eighty cents.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Me too if the Cards don't make it. I ****ing hate the Giants :D

Yeah, I have a certain hate for them also, and nope I am not a dodger fan by any stretch. Calling the kettle black here if you will, but the fans of the Giants and Dodgers really irk me, and since I live in Southern California I get bombarded with it. So I hate both teams equally! Love to see them lose. :D

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I don't like our Giants odds... or the more apt I don't like the roll the the Royals are on...

but who knows?

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I don't like our Giants odds... or the more apt I don't like the roll the the Royals are on...

but who knows?

On paper the Royals went 8 for 8 in games to get to WS and my Giants had to go 8 for 9, losing one game to Cardinals in NLCS (Kolton Wong 9th inning walk off home run), to get to the big dance.

San Francisco has the experience which is good but KC has the momentum. They are hungry for a title in more than a generation's time span, or when milk was 80 cents a gallon and gas was $1.20 a gallon since their last title.

Without doubt, anyone who isn't in the Bay Area is probably going to be pulling for KC and had my team been the Angels or Dodgers, I would also be on the Royal's bandwagon.

Their extremely long hiatus into the non-championship wilderness is amazing when you see the way they are playing now. The Angels did a similar thing back in '02 who finally got a championship after over 40 years as a big league franchise and spent a previous 40 years trying to go from a minor league team to a major league team having represented Los Angeles. It was an over eight decade journey for them. Also there were the Red Sox and White Sox who had that amount of time wanting a title and being denied. While KC isn't as long, it may as well be since many of the posters here weren't born when they last won.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Home runs sure do help. So does great pitching and serious mental toughness.

The Royals are red hot, and they did sweep the Giants in a three game series back in August, when the Giants were really not playing very well. My only hope is that the five day layoff and the law of averages catches up to the Royals, and the Giants' vast postseason experience sees them through.

It's going to be a tough and very interesting series, though I can see low television ratings and the vast majority of neutrals pulling for the Royals. No matter!

Don't forget we Giants fans had our own long championship drought to contend with: no world championships in San Francisco, and none for the franchise in 56 years.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Home runs sure do help. So does great pitching and serious mental toughness.

The Royals are red hot, and they did sweep the Giants in a three game series back in August, when the Giants were really not playing very well. My only hope is that the five day layoff and the law of averages catches up to the Royals, and the Giants' vast postseason experience sees them through.

It's going to be a tough and very interesting series, though I can see low television ratings and the vast majority of neutrals pulling for the Royals. No matter!

Don't forget we Giants fans had our own long championship drought to contend with: no world championships in San Francisco, and none for the franchise in 56 years.

I don't think Americans really remember that drought and only see SF as being too drunk with success, much like the Yankees.

Yes we did have 56 slow years but of late here's what America sees when they think of the Giants:

The freak Tim Lincecum and back to back Cy Youngs in 2008 and 2009
2012 World Series win
2010 World Series win
Barry Bonds breaking season (2001) and career HR records (2006)
Barry Bonds on steroids, Melky Cabrera on steroids
Dusty Baker and Bruce Bochy winning so much under so many different conditions that other MLB managers practically worship them

Additionally Lincecum threw two no hitters (last year and this year) and in 2012 Matt Cain threw the Giants only perfect game.

There's just too much success with the team these past few years for any non-Giants fan to want to root for when the lowly, scrappy Royals are there to take them on. Only if the Red Sox or Yankees were going against SF in the WS would others feel there was a fair fight.

To many it will be the high profile giant of late (SF Giants) against the boy with a slingshot (David, as exemplified by the KC Royals) in a big fight.

All that being said we are nowhere near the dynasty that was NYY when they went with four titles in five years. At best the Giants can get their third title in the same time frame with no back to backs. Not only did NYY get a back to back in their 90s/2000 dynasty, they had an extremely rare three-peat which is totally unimaginable. The Yankees won an ALDS/ALCS/WS for three years in a row which is 9 for 9 in postseason series but America somehow sees the Giants as some big, rich, over-rewarded team entering this World Series and that's simply not fair. We aren't the Yankees buying talent and the Giants made a name with minor league unknowns and old castoffs of other teams who had seen their best play on other teams.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
On paper the Royals went 8 for 8 in games to get to WS and my Giants had to go 8 for 9, losing one game to Cardinals in NLCS (Kolton Wong 9th inning walk off home run), to get to the big dance.

San Francisco has the experience which is good but KC has the momentum. They are hungry for a title in more than a generation's time span, or when milk was 80 cents a gallon and gas was $1.20 a gallon since their last title.

Without doubt, anyone who isn't in the Bay Area is probably going to be pulling for KC and had my team been the Angels or Dodgers, I would also be on the Royal's bandwagon.

Their extremely long hiatus into the non-championship wilderness is amazing when you see the way they are playing now. The Angels did a similar thing back in '02 who finally got a championship after over 40 years as a big league franchise and spent a previous 40 years trying to go from a minor league team to a major league team having represented Los Angeles. It was an over eight decade journey for them. Also there were the Red Sox and White Sox who had that amount of time wanting a title and being denied. While KC isn't as long, it may as well be since many of the posters here weren't born when they last won.

come on buddy, don't big league me, OUR GIANTS... and we win in 6 !

we went 8-2 the nats one a game vs us... ;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
come on buddy, don't big league me, OUR GIANTS... and we win in 6 !

we went 8-2 the nats one a game vs us... ;)

I want to win but hungry teams can be a problem. Remember the Blue Jays, Arizona, Angels, and our Giants in 2010? Nobody thought the 2010 Giants were worthy of postseason but having lost three WS in SF ('62, earthquake series, and 2002) it was about time and we took out Texas and Cliff Lee.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I want to win but hungry teams can be a problem. Remember the Blue Jays, Arizona, Angels, and our Giants in 2010? Nobody thought the 2010 Giants were worthy of postseason but having lost three WS in SF ('62, earthquake series, and 2002) it was about time and we took out Texas and Cliff Lee.

I don't think lack of hunger is going to be a problem for the Giants. They just have to stay calm and execute and not let the Royals' speed force them into making mistakes. And even with that, it's going to be very, very hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.