Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Lets face it, the iPad Air 2 release is junk.

The screen shows ripples when holding it one handed. How did Apple not discover this in quality testing before production is anyones guess.

The battery life is worse and the charger is 10w instead of 12w so it doesn't have improved charging times vs the Air.

The resolution has not been improved, meanwhile Amazon and Samsung both have tablets out with better resolution and screen quality (Amazon has 100% RGB color accuracy, Samsung has OLED which is better contrast/more vivid).

Tell me Apple, how with your available cash flow larger than most countries are you able to be outplayed on resolution and screen quality by two amateur companies?

The base model is still 16gb. Seriously Apple, your putting 16gb base models when memory couldn't be cheaper? Literally, you can go to any store and buy a 16gb flash drive for less than $10, yet Apple treats it like it is more rare than unicorn tears.

As it stands right now, the only benefit to buying the iPad Air 2 is the 2gb of ram. The iPad Air was already more than capable and we all know that most app developers build apps to be able to run on the majority of iPads.

Next year Apple will release a higher resolution iPad based on 14nm architecture. The speed of the processor will easily support the screen resolution.

*Say what you will. This update is just a minor one. I wish that weren't the case, but next year when they up the screen resolution and quality everyone here will be making posts "Should I upgrade to Air 3".

Last edited:

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Ok but half the things you said are non-issues or haven't happened in my experience and the rest are... well let's just say I really don't feel the magic of Android tablets.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
iPad Air 4 will be the one too get, not the iPad Air 3.

Also get the iPad Pro 2 instead of the iPad Pro.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Um, bad example as both Amazon (world's largest online retailer) and Samsung (one of the top electronics mfg in the world) are not amateur companies. But you did good up until that point. :p

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Air 2060 will be the ultimate iPad. In the year 2060, it will be injected into your cerebral cortex, giving you the ultimate virtual tablet experience. It will read your thoughts in real time, and be your constant companion. Prices will start at $499. :D

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Um, bad example as both Amazon (world's largest online retailer) and Samsung (one of the top electronics mfg in the world) are not amateur companies. But you did good up until that point. :p

Amazon isn't a computer company.

Samsung is a company thats makes everything with no focus on one thing.

They both are amateur compared to Apple in both valuation and focus. Apple literally only makes computers and mobile devices.

My only guess as to why Apple hasn't been trying to increase resolution and screen quality is that Apple has grown complacent. They think they can just do incremental upgrades to processing speed while making their devices smaller.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Amazon isn't a computer company.

Samsung is a company thats makes everything with no focus on one thing.

They both are amateur compared to Apple in both valuation and focus. Apple literally only makes computers and mobile devices.

My only guess as to why Apple hasn't been trying to increase resolution and screen quality is that Apple has grown complacent. They think they can just do incremental upgrades to processing speed while making their devices smaller.

OK iFanboy you win. Good job !

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
IMHO I think this is the one to get. The screen flawless on my air 2 and so vivid as well as almost no glare! The black level is amazing too. Not to mention how fast this thing is and compared to the iPad 4, it is so light! I'm still in amazement as I use this. :)

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
IMHO I think this is the one to get. The screen flawless on my air 2 and so vivid as well as almost no glare! The black level is amazing too. Not to mention how fast this thing is and compared to the iPad 4, it is so light! I'm still in amazement as I use this. :)
How's your #distortiongate?

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Ok but half the things you said are non-issues or haven't happened in my experience and the rest are... well let's just say I really don't feel the magic of Android tablets.

You must be one of the lucky few because theres a 7 page post by others that are having distortion problems when holding the screen with 1 hand. And by the way, just because it happens to all of the new iPads doesn't mean Apple meant it to be that way.

Just look at the xbox360. The original model had overheating problems that cost Microsoft around $800 million to fix and change. This could turn into that very same problem where screens become damaged overtime from distortion.

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to press your finger to an LCD screen causing ripples and just hold it there for long periods of time. That seems like the kind of thing that could damage it... Just saying

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I guess I'm lucky to only have the vibration issue. Everything else on my air 2 is perfect. No matter how I hold the screen there is no distortion and color is perfect.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
7/10, would not read again. But 7 pts isn't bad for a troll thread; it managed to elicit several responses (including my own, lol).

Still, rife with inaccuracies, exaggerations, and half-truths. So subtract 3. Overall, reasonably well-played.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
2015 iPad Air will be the one to get

The screen shows ripples when holding it one handed. How did Apple not discover this in quality testing before production is anyones guess.

The battery life is worse and the charger is 10w instead of 12w so it doesn't have improved charging times vs the Air.

The resolution has not been improved, meanwhile Amazon and Samsung both have tablets out with better resolution and screen quality (Amazon has 100% RGB color accuracy, Samsung has OLED which is better contrast/more vivid).

Tell me Apple, how with your available cash flow larger than most countries are you able to be outplayed on resolution and screen quality by two amateur companies?

The base model is still 16gb. Seriously Apple, your putting 16gb base models when memory couldn't be cheaper? Literally, you can go to any store and buy a 16gb flash drive for less than $10, yet Apple treats it like it is more rare than unicorn tears.

As it stands right now, the only benefit to buying the iPad Air 2 is the 2gb of ram. The iPad Air was already more than capable and we all know that most app developers build apps to be able to run on the majority of iPads.

Next year Apple will release a higher resolution iPad based on 14nm architecture. The speed of the processor will easily support the screen resolution.

*Say what you will. This update is just a minor one. I wish that weren't the case, but next year when they up the screen resolution and quality everyone here will be making posts "Should I upgrade to Air 3".

What are you talking about ? My screen has no ripples and is perfect. Normal use you can't touch the led to distort it so stop hanging on that .

Yes the cup MIGHT be able to handle it but what happens when you put in the same battery in ....lost of battery life. Seriously we don't need super high def screens on tablets and an almost 2k screen on the current screen is great

Guess what iPad Air 3 will have a 16gb base model so I guess your not buying that either. I love my iPad Air 2 and will be holding onto it for a few years

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

Aww, poor baby didn't get his new iPad. There, there, child. Maybe Santa will bring you one.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I figure Beats audio and a Quad HD Screen

Beats audio will just be a fancier equalizer if it's the same thing as on HTC phones and hp laptops. As far and quad hd screens the iPad basically has one already but a bit below. A quad hd display would mean it would go to 16:9 no ?

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Aww, poor baby didn't get his new iPad. There, there, child. Maybe Santa will bring you one.

Doesn't sound like he wants the 2014 model. He does have some valid points. At best buy mobile store getting my iPhone 6 today, They had the air 2 on display and the sound vibe was very noticeable and it had the screen distortion issue. It didn't take much pressure at all on it to cause the lcd to distort. I could deal with both those issues and probably will get an air 2 once they resolve the iOS 8 issues. Would rather keep my iPad 4 with 7.1.2. It seems faster to me with safari.

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
The Air 2060 will be the ultimate iPad. In the year 2060, it will be injected into your cerebral cortex, giving you the ultimate virtual tablet experience. It will read your thoughts in real time, and be your constant companion. Prices will start at $499. :D

You forgot 16gb capacity! ;)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Doesn't sound like he wants the 2014 model. He does have some valid points. At best buy mobile store getting my iPhone 6 today, They had the air 2 on display and the sound vibe was very noticeable and it had the screen distortion issue. It didn't take much pressure at all on it to cause the lcd to distort. I could deal with both those issues and probably will get an air 2 once they resolve the iOS 8 issues. Would rather keep my iPad 4 with 7.1.2. It seems faster to me with safari.

I do put have the distortion issue at all. 0% under normal use. I can do it on my Samsung tablet with enough pressure and yes with my iPad Air 2 but normal use I am not doing it.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
You must be one of the lucky few because theres a 7 page post by others that are having distortion problems when holding the screen with 1 hand. And by the way, just because it happens to all of the new iPads doesn't mean Apple meant it to be that way.

Just look at the xbox360. The original model had overheating problems that cost Microsoft around $800 million to fix and change. This could turn into that very same problem where screens become damaged overtime from distortion.

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to press your finger to an LCD screen causing ripples and just hold it there for long periods of time. That seems like the kind of thing that could damage it... Just saying

This is like when someone said their 6+ bent by lightly bumping into someone.

The Air 2 does not ripple from normal use or its own weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.