2016 15" MBP Screen uniformity

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
I have on both 15" and 13" with x-rite i1 Display Pro. The displays seem to be pretty much in line. No major white point discrepancies, but yet I've still not seen a new display that does not have this issue.
If the colorimeter says the white light coming from the different parts of the screen is the same colour temperature, then how can the screen look different in different areas? For there to be a visible colour shift the light would have to be measurably different, wouldn't it?

Reactions: xmonkey

ra004e

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
One would think, it might be antiglare/antireflection coatings that have something to do with it though. It's not measuring an issue when colorimeter is directly on the screen, but at viewing distance it is a perceivable artifact. Whatever it is, it's obviously enough of an issue to be causing people to notice and complain. :(

dan9700

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2015
Every apple screen i have on 7 plus ipad pro and new 2016 macbook are all yellow tint and hate it im swapped so many but there all same its my biggest complaint

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
If the colorimeter says the white light coming from the different parts of the screen is the same colour temperature, then how can the screen look different in different areas? For there to be a visible colour shift the light would have to be measurably different, wouldn't it?
Agreed. I think the AR coating has a bit to do with some of these issues. On off-angles it will change the apparent tint of the display.

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There are two issues, color temperature and brightness. The color temperature can stay the same while the brightness varies or vice versa. Both are always uneven to some degree, but small differences aren't usually noticeable. Mine's fine, don't notice any problem.

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Agreed. I think the AR coating has a bit to do with some of these issues. On off-angles it will change the apparent tint of the display.
I think this may be the case. My glasses have an AR coating and in certain lights and angles I can see a pink/blue tint.

maka344

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I think this may be the case. My glasses have an AR coating and in certain lights and angles I can see a pink/blue tint.
Same here, with my AR coated glasses on the whole screen has a slight pink hue. However, when removing them it's gone. But that didn't happen with some of the units I had, the pink corners with my AR coated glasses on would just be extra pink.

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Same here, with my AR coated glasses on the whole screen has a slight pink hue. However, when removing them it's gone. But that didn't happen with some of the units I had, the pink corners with my AR coated glasses on would just be extra pink.
Actually I was referring to seeing the pink on my glasses, but that may well augment what I'm seeing on the screen. I have a very slight pink on the left to blue on the right shift on this computer (returned 2 that were worse) and it's more noticeable sometimes than others. I don't know if that is from ambient lighting or my eyes. Fortunately most of time I don't really notice it anymore and I love this computer otherwise.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Actually I was referring to seeing the pink on my glasses, but that may well augment what I'm seeing on the screen. I have a very slight pink on the left to blue on the right shift on this computer (returned 2 that were worse) and it's more noticeable sometimes than others. I don't know if that is from ambient lighting or my eyes. Fortunately most of time I don't really notice it anymore and I love this computer otherwise.
I have the exact same thing on my screen but I don't consider it to be a problem.

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
I have the exact same thing on my screen but I don't consider it to be a problem.
Neither does Apple. They tell you they are all like that or they don't see it. :) Anyway the shift on the one I have now is very slight and I really don't consider it a problem. The screen is beautiful actually. The two I returned had more pronounced unevenness with some yellow mixed in.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Neither does Apple. They tell you they are all like that or they don't see it. :) Anyway the shift on the one I have now is very slight and I really don't consider it a problem. The screen is beautiful actually. The two I returned had more pronounced unevenness with some yellow mixed in.
Same - no clouding/yellow at all. I think these hues are more a feature of LCDs as opposed to faults with these screens.

maka344

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Well, out of all the recent machines I've had, my current nTB screen is flawless (as far as I can tell). The others had;

Pink hue bottom right
Pink hue top left
Yellow uneven in the middle
Blue haze right down the right hand edge of screen
Yellow in middle and white around edges

This one is perfect in every single way.

I think or hope QC will get better when the demand levels change. There is a screen QC issue, whether it's with the type of technology or just the factory trying to meet the rush, its there.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Are the ones seeing the uneven tint on the bottom noticing it going away if they tilt the screen back more? I am curious if it is a viewing angle issue. I wonder if this is just an IPS quirk?

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Mine is a horizontal tint going from pink on the left to blue on the right. It is minimal and varies with viewing angle, ambient lighting and sometimes maybe just my eyes. This is my third 15" and it has much less tint than the 2 I returned. I can't say I don't notice it, but it really doesn't bother me (or this one would have gone back too). It may be an IPS quirk, although not present on my 2012 rMBP, or maybe due to the non reflective coating. I suspect that it is present on most 2016 screens and some people are just more sensitive to it than others. I can live with a little pink to blue tint, but not yellow and fortunately I don't see any yellow on this computer. The screen is gorgeous and I wouldn't trade it for an even, white screen on an earlier model.

Last edited:

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Mine is a horizontal tint going from pink on the left to blue on the right. It is minimal and varies with viewing angle, ambient lighting and sometimes maybe just my eyes. This is my third 15" and it has much less tint than the 2 I returned. I can't say I don't notice it, but it really doesn't bother me (or this one would have gone back too). It may be an IPS quirk, although not present on my 2012 rMBP, or maybe due to the non reflective coating. I suspect that it is present on most 2016 screens and some people are just more sensitive to it than others. I can live with a little pink to blue tint, but not yellow and fortunately I don't see any yellow on this computer. The screen is gorgeous and I wouldn't trade it for an even, white screen on an earlier model.
How far from the top or bottom is the tint?

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Goes all the way from top to bottom on both sides. Gradual tint from pink left to blue right. The tint is minimal and not really distracting, but noticeable if looking for it.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I just got a silver 13" tbMBP from Adorama (it's a BTO spec that they had in stock - 3.3GHz i7 / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) and it unfortunately has the slight darkening on the bottom third of the screen. The color uniformity is really good, but there is darkening at the bottom (that can appear to be "yellowing") that I didn't notice right away. It definitely varies in intensity depending on the angle of the display. I took a picture with my iPhone but it makes the problem look worse than it actually is.

I'm disappointed, especially since my 2012 rMBP and 2015 rMB exhibited better uniformity, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that this is the nature of the beast with these P3 screens. I dealt with a couple generations of iMacs that also had uniformity issues until I got fed up enough to get a nMP and brought-my-own monitor.

Most of the pics posted here look more or less like my display, and since I bought my computer through Adorama, I can't do the exchange game and would instead have to rely on AppleCare which I'm not inclined to do.

Oh well...can't really say I'm surprised. My computer is perfect in every other way (NO scratches or marks - and I inspected closely), crashing, or other weird behavior, so I'll live with it.

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
It definitely varies in intensity depending on the angle of the display.
Does it go away if viewed with your eyes perpendicular to the lower part of the screen? That would probably be normal, I think. At least with the 15", the screen is big enough that viewing angle causes such effects.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Does it go away if viewed with your eyes perpendicular to the lower part of the screen? That would probably be normal, I think. At least with the 15", the screen is big enough that viewing angle causes such effects.
The shift in color tint definitely does go away if your eyes are perpendicular to the bottom of the screen. The color temperature varies across the whole screen depending on your viewing angle.

There's still a very minor, slightly darker horizontal "band" that's present but it's pretty tough to notice and I think that's just a by-product of the way the screen is backlit.

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
The shift in color tint definitely does go away if your eyes are perpendicular to the bottom of the screen. The color temperature varies across the whole screen depending on your viewing angle.

There's still a very minor, slightly darker horizontal "band" that's present but it's pretty tough to notice and I think that's just a by-product of the way the screen is backlit.
That's fairly typical. All of these screens have uniformity issues, but usually we don't notice it. Sounds like yours isn't too bad, but if it does get to bothering you, I think Adorama has a no-questions-asked return policy for some period of time. Or at least I thought they did. Thing is, you never know if one you replace it with will be better or worse, unless you try it out first.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
That's fairly typical. All of these screens have uniformity issues, but usually we don't notice it. Sounds like yours isn't too bad, but if it does get to bothering you, I think Adorama has a no-questions-asked return policy for some period of time. Or at least I thought they did. Thing is, you never know if one you replace it with will be better or worse, unless you try it out first.
Nope, Adorama doesn't allow returns of notebook computers once opened.

I didn't notice the problem until I started over-analyzing the screen about 24 hours after initially using the computer. I tend to have a 24 hour "honeymoon" phase after which my OCD kicks in and I start looking for problems.

Honestly, I've played the panel lottery enough times in the past to realize that usually you don't wind up swapping a bad screen for a good one; you swap one set of imperfections for another. :)

Reactions: Sanpete

tbeaumont

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
Atlanta
I just got a silver 13" tbMBP from Adorama (it's a BTO spec that they had in stock - 3.3GHz i7 / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) and it unfortunately has the slight darkening on the bottom third of the screen. The color uniformity is really good, but there is darkening at the bottom (that can appear to be "yellowing") that I didn't notice right away. It definitely varies in intensity depending on the angle of the display. I took a picture with my iPhone but it makes the problem look worse than it actually is.

I'm disappointed, especially since my 2012 rMBP and 2015 rMB exhibited better uniformity, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that this is the nature of the beast with these P3 screens. I dealt with a couple generations of iMacs that also had uniformity issues until I got fed up enough to get a nMP and brought-my-own monitor.

Most of the pics posted here look more or less like my display, and since I bought my computer through Adorama, I can't do the exchange game and would instead have to rely on AppleCare which I'm not inclined to do.

Oh well...can't really say I'm surprised. My computer is perfect in every other way (NO scratches or marks - and I inspected closely), crashing, or other weird behavior, so I'll live with it.
[doublepost=1488673162][/doublepost]Can you share what screen model you have on the 13" tbMBP? Go to display settings and click on open profile. Scroll down to the last line and click on it. It will tell you the screen model number. Thanks