Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric.john

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
last 3-4 days status preparing for shipment, turned to shipped 11am pst 11/15. delivery 11/15 ups, southern california,usa. 13inch with touch bar , stock macbook pro.

hopefully mine is the same. stock 13 with touchbar. My order has made no progress since Friday after my cc was finally charged and going from processing to prepare for shipment. I just tried chatting with an apple rep and they told me, it should be delivered by Friday..

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Running over thunderbolt to Target Disk Mode. No wi-fi or ethernet in use. Which, going to an SSD, it SHOULD go faster. But, oh well.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. USB-C, Thunderbolt and FireWire all support peer-to-peer but USB does not.

Okay what about connecting them by Ethernet cable. Rather than ethernet to wifi, as I have it now

archimon

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Are you using the USB-C to thunderbolt adapter? Didn't have any luck with the USB-A adapter.

What do you mean by this? I was intending to use the USB A port on the digital AV adapter to hook my time machine hard drive up to my new MacBook - will this not work?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Okay what about connecting them by Ethernet cable. Rather than ethernet to wifi, as I have it now

Well, you'd need a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. But yes, that would work, and would be faster than wi-fi.

This is an expensive transfer. I originally bought the adapter to use with a Thunderbolt 2 RAID I had my eye on, but then I decided that a much cheaper USB 3.1 Gen 2 array was plenty fast enough. So, I bought the adapters; and will use them once (for this) and probably never again. Oh well.

PuchasGracias

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma, USA
Seems like Northeast is FedEx? I can't really tell though.

We ordered two 15" to Oklahoma (both stock, one the 2399, one 2799), same order, one went FedEx, one went UPS. No telling what the criteria was.

It's a race from Shanghai! Scheduled delivery 17th, both last status the export scan.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Well, you'd need a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. But yes, that would work, and would be faster than wi-fi.

This is an expensive transfer. I originally bought the adapter to use with a Thunderbolt 2 RAID I had my eye on, but then I decided that a much cheaper USB 3.1 Gen 2 array was plenty fast enough. So, I bought the adapters; and will use them once (for this) and probably never again. Oh well.
Well I was already heading to the Apple Store to buy the USB a to USB c adapter. So now I'll just get the USB-c to Ethernet adapter.

Reactions: el-John-o

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
What do you mean by this? I was intending to use the USB A port on the digital AV adapter to hook my time machine hard drive up to my new MacBook - will this not work?

No it won't. USB Type A is one-way. It'll transfer data both ways, of course, but it's client-host. It doesn't do peer to peer.

Your Time Machines USB port is a 'host', and so is your Mac with the adapter. Host-Host won't work. The fastest way to restore from a time machine is with an ethernet cable connected directly to the Time Machine.

Nevertheless, if it's USB 2.0 (Do the new time machines have USB 3.0?) that's half the speed of ethernet, theoretically. Except gigabit ethernet can actually hit it's theoretical max, whereas you'd be lucky to get 300mbps out of USB 2.0

What I'm doing is booting my 2012 into Target Disk mode, and then connecting it with thunderbolt. Essentially, the SSD in my 2012 has become an external thunderbolt drive, and my Mac is copying files from that.

j-ajax

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Talk to multiple reps at FedEx International who state that for those of us that are stuck in Shanghai and have NOT gone through "International Shipment Release", we should not expect to make it out on flight FX72

clifgriffin

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Yes I am. To my 2012 MBP (Thunderbolt 1).
Great. I'm at best buy to get a thunderbolt cable. Already have the adapter.

Are you using target disk mode?
[doublepost=1479152076][/doublepost]
Correct. I tried target disk mode and other methods. From researching it doesn't work.

archimon

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
No it won't. USB Type A is one-way. It'll transfer data both ways, of course, but it's client-host. It doesn't do peer to peer.

Your Time Machines USB port is a 'host', and so is your Mac with the adapter. Host-Host won't work. The fastest way to restore from a time machine is with an ethernet cable connected directly to the Time Machine.

Nevertheless, if it's USB 2.0 (Do the new time machines have USB 3.0?) that's half the speed of ethernet, theoretically. Except gigabit ethernet can actually hit it's theoretical max, whereas you'd be lucky to get 300mbps out of USB 2.0

What I'm doing is booting my 2012 into Target Disk mode, and then connecting it with thunderbolt. Essentially, the SSD in my 2012 has become an external thunderbolt drive, and my Mac is copying files from that.

Just to be clear, my "time machine" is actually just a seagate external hard drive. Would that still register as a host? I'm not looking to transfer directly from a MacBook to another MacBook.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Just to be clear, my "time machine" is actually just a seagate external hard drive. Would that still register as a host? I'm not looking to transfer directly from a MacBook to another MacBook.

Ohhhhhhhhh

I thought you were referring to an Apple Time Capsule, which is an actual product. (Essentially a router with a built in hard drive).

Yes, absolutely, you can plug in your seagate external drive, select "restore from a time machine backup", and go.

Gixene

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2016
Indiana
I woke up late this morning, as I was up late last night. Now on a late lunch. Still no tracking information available according to UPS after receiving tracking number from Apple for the stock 13-inch 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID. I received the tracking number from Apple 26 hours ago. Quite surprised tracking information isn't available yet. In my experience, it's always been within 12 hours of receiving a tracking number.

At this point, I believe stock 13-inch MacBook Pros with Touch Bar and Touch ID were never in the US while the build to order models arrived.

Okay, back to work! Have a wonderful day everyone. Hopefully tracking information will be available for us soon!

Reactions: Steven.nevets

cesarxp2

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2016
Talk to multiple reps at FedEx International who state that for those of us that are stuck in Shanghai and have NOT gone through "International Shipment Release", we should not expect to make it out on flight FX72
I'm one of those! Can you elaborate? Any other info they gave you? Thanks for talking to them

archimon

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Ohhhhhhhhh

I thought you were referring to an Apple Time Machine, which is an actual product. (Essentially a router with a built in hard drive).

Yes, absolutely, you can plug in your seagate external drive, select "restore from a time machine backup", and go.

Oh - that's actually called a time capsule - Time Machine is the program.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Does this apply to EU as well?

I talked to Apple CS earlier today here in Sweden and the holiday return policy only applies for orders after November 10..
This was the case last year, but has changed this year.

Now, it is for orders received on or after November 10. So it includes the MacBook Pros.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 19.39.02.png

bgorad

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016

Are you serious?!! What's taking so long? It's been there for 3 Days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.