Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
I’m still having same problem, have tried all the advice I could find on re-pairing, restarting Bluetooth etc. Curiously though mine only ever seems to do the drop/connect trick once per boot cycle, often a minute or two into using the system after first login.
Found the culprit finally. I've gone through every piece of hardware and launch software and isolated it via testing with re-starts. Quite boring but it works! Finally tracked down my USB hub as the problem. Will stop using it now. FYI it is the "Cateck USB 3.0 HUB, Bus-Powered USB 3.0 3-Port Aluminum Hub with 2-Slot Card Reader Combo for iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, Mac Mini, PCs and Laptops" from amazon.
Anyone recommend a USB3 hub which doesn't have interference problems?

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Found the culprit finally. I've gone through every piece of hardware and launch software and isolated it via testing with re-starts. Quite boring but it works! Finally tracked down my USB hub as the problem. Will stop using it now. FYI it is the "Cateck USB 3.0 HUB, Bus-Powered USB 3.0 3-Port Aluminum Hub with 2-Slot Card Reader Combo for iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook, Mac Mini, PCs and Laptops" from amazon.
i have been hit this issue after upgrade latest mojave..turn out some minor electric discharge is the main issue.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
My 2017 iMac that I bought when they were released has had the same ongoing bluetooth issues that others have mentioned. If I reboot, it'll take 30 seconds before the mouse or keyboard connects. Usually for about 2 weeks, everything will work and stay connected, and then at random, the mouse and/or keyboard will just stop connecting. Then I end up having to either turn off/on each one or connect with the usb cable. I love this machine as it's been flawless outside of this annoying bluetooth problem.

My 2018 Air which also has bluetooth 4.2 and is running the latest Mojave OS has never once disconnected the Magic Mouse.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016

I just stumbled on this thread while being bored and browsing this forum but I guess I have similar USB reader from same company and I also have from time to time problems with BT on my 2017 5K iMac. This, however, happens once in few months (I have it since June 2017 and till now it maybe happened 3-4 times) but it is very interesting to see that this could be the issue.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I just stumbled on this thread while being bored and browsing this forum but I guess I have similar USB reader from same company and I also have from time to time problems with BT on my 2017 5K iMac. This, however, happens once in few months (I have it since June 2017 and till now it maybe happened 3-4 times) but it is very interesting to see that this could be the issue.

Well I don't have this USB reader and mine started disconnecting this week for the first time since I bought the 27 inch iMac in December 2017. Ive tried everything that Ive read on the internet from debugging bluetooth to working with the terminal to delete that file(Starts with a p but cant remember name).It still disconnects with the mouse going first, then keyboard and then they find the connection and its fine until it happens again. Seems to happen after wake up from a sleep but its also happen in middle of being on computer for a while. Hate the thought of going back to wired connection. I have not put Mojave into my computer yet ,thinking that might help but now I see people with that have same issue.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Well I don't have this USB reader and mine started disconnecting this week for the first time since I bought the 27 inch iMac in December 2017. Ive tried everything that Ive read on the internet from debugging bluetooth to working with the terminal to delete that file(Starts with a p but cant remember name).It still disconnects with the mouse going first, then keyboard and then they find the connection and its fine until it happens again. Seems to happen after wake up from a sleep but its also happen in middle of being on computer for a while. Hate the thought of going back to wired connection.
like me i using two mouse but for you if it disabled the mouse and keyboard same time dam annoyance.I only got this issue after updating mojave latest version.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
like me i using two mouse but for you if it disabled the mouse and keyboard same time dam annoyance.I only got this issue after updating mojave latest version.
Im not going near Mojave fo awhile but its not a Mojave problem since Im still using High Sierra

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Sorry for my ignorance but what is a UPS ?
Uninterruptible power supply. Sometimes people said it as backup battery failover if got power outage. I'm suspecting static electric upon blue tooth issue.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Uninterruptible power supply. Sometimes people said it as backup battery failover if got power outage. I'm suspecting static electric upon blue tooth issue.
thanks, its a thought but if you look at this thread with all these people having the same issue it certainly leads me to the idea that this is a software issue that Apple needs to fix. Would be pretty strange if all the people in this post had a failed bluetooth hardware device since thats not really common. This is definitely something that is connected with a 2017 Apple product but how we get apple to acknowledge this issue and fix it is beyond me.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Well well well... it’s just started happening again and I haven’t been using by USB3 hub... but I had connected a phone via USB3 with a naff cable, i wonder if that caused it. Very mysterious.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Dont want to jinx myself but its been a full day since I deleted the Android File Transfer app from my iMac and Bluetooth has been stable when before it went out every 10 minutes or so.I also have the first option in the energy preferences(prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off) checked. Both of these changes and no dropouts. I think its the android file transfer app that was the culprit.Tomorrow ill try to uncheck the energy preference choice and see if its all good.

Reactions: Nintendo64

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Dont want to jinx myself but its been a full day since I deleted the Android File Transfer app from my iMac and Bluetooth has been stable when before it went out every 10 minutes or so.I also have the first option in the energy preferences(prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off) checked. Both of these changes and no dropouts. I think its the android file transfer app that was the culprit.Tomorrow ill try to uncheck the energy preference choice and see if its all good.
im a developer so i use frequent adb and android file transfer .We can call theory like apple does say "shield " issue but in reality i used logitech mouse never had this issue. But logitech keyboard blue tooth quite lag

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I put the Android file transfer into my iMac since I bought a Fiio DAP and may need it to move iTunes music to this Android device.Im still going to use it if I need it but I will use a wired mouse and keyboard for that experience and then delete the Android file transfer when Im done. Keeping the unopened file in Finder does not cause bluetooth issues until you open it. Hope this find benefits others with bluetooth issue and the Android file transfer on their computer.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008

Interesting... my recent problem above was with a USB3 connection to an Android phone syncing... May try that.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
For those who read apple site.** but i don't agree with it.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201542
Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference
Wireless interference can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices to disconnect or perform poorly, but you can take steps to reduce or overcome it.

Symptoms of wireless interference
Any of these symptoms could be caused by interference affecting the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signal:

• Device doesn't connect or stay connected
  • Connection is slow and signal strength
    yosemite-disconnected_icon.png
    is low
  • Bluetooth audio skips, stutters, cuts off, or has static or buzzing
  • Pointer movement is erratic or jumpy
How to reduce wireless interference
These general steps can help achieve a cleaner, stronger wireless signal:

• Bring your Wi-Fi device and Wi-Fi router closer together. Bring the Bluetooth devices that are connecting to each other closer together.
  • Avoid using your wireless devices near common sources of interference, such as power cables, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras, and cordless phones.
  • Reduce the number of active devices that use the same wireless frequency band. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices use the 2.4 GHz band, but many Wi-Fi devices can use the 5 GHz band instead. If your Wi-Fi router supports both bands, it might help to connect more of your Wi-Fi devices to the 5GHz band. Some dual-band routers manage this for you automatically.
  • Configure your Wi-Fi router to use a different Wi-Fi channel, or have it scan for the channel with the least interference. Most routers perform this scan automatically on startup or when reset.
If you're using USB 3 devices with your computer, you can limit their potential to interfere with nearby wireless devices:

• Use a high-quality, shielded USB cable with each USB 3 device.
  • Move your USB 3 devices—including any USB hubs—farther away from your wireless devices.
  • Connect USB 3 devices to the ports farthest from your computer's Wi-Fi antenna. For example, if your computer has ports on the back, prefer the USB ports closest to the middle. If your computer has ports on the side, prefer the USB ports closest to the front.
  • Turn off any USB 3 devices that aren't in use.
Avoid physical obstructions in the path of your wireless signal. For example, a metal surface between your Bluetooth mouse and computer could cause the mouse to perform poorly, and a metal-reinforced concrete floor between your Wi-Fi router and Wi-Fi device could cause poor Wi-Fi performance.

• Low interference potential: wood, glass, and many synthetic materials
  • Medium interference potential: water, bricks, marble
  • High interference potential: plaster, concrete, bulletproof glass
  • Very high interference potential: meta

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
For those who read apple site.** but i don't agree with it.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201542
Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference
  • Bring your Wi-Fi device and Wi-Fi router closer together. Bring the Bluetooth devices that are connecting to each other closer together.
  • Avoid using your wireless devices near common sources of interference, such as power cables, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras, and cordless phones.
  • Use a high-quality, shielded USB cable with each USB 3 device.
  • Move your USB 3 devices—including any USB hubs—farther away from your wireless devices.
  • Connect USB 3 devices to the ports farthest from your computer's Wi-Fi antenna. For example, if your computer has ports on the back, prefer the USB ports closest to the middle. If your computer has ports on the side, prefer the USB ports closest to the front.

Thanks. Not using WiFi at all in my case. Good point about dodgy cables though. However some of their advice is not practical with an iMac as the USB3 cables, hubs, power, nouse & keyboard all end up near each other by definition in an all-in-one.. Any idea how to spot good shielding on cable - is there a standard to look for when buying?

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Thanks. Not using WiFi at all in my case. Good point about dodgy cables though. However some of their advice is not practical with an iMac as the USB3 cables, hubs, power, nouse & keyboard all end up near each other by definition in an all-in-one.. Any idea how to spot good shielding on cable - is there a standard to look for when buying?
no idea.Saying everything must be apple certified product uhk (price) and still they dont offer reability .
** to many broken original lightning cable :(

Nintendo64

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I just deleted the app on my iMac a few hours ago and am crossing my fingers that it keeps working. So far so good. Has it completely solved the issue for you?

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
Good post. I have the same issue... one time it timed out for 30min, i had to restart computer. I think it happens more often when the battery power is lower

I have mid model 2017, i7-core.
at work we use same model but i5 and it doesn't happen at all

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thanks for the advice. I just deleted the app on my iMac a few hours ago and am crossing my fingers that it keeps working. So far so good. Has it completely solved the issue for you?

yes it has completely solved my issue but I just bought a Fiio DAP M6 and the instructions show using the Android app to put music from Mac to player. Im prepared this time and I will use a wired mouse to do this when android app is in the iMac but when Im finished Im deleting it. How is it going for you now that you dumped the android app?

Nintendo64

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
yes it has completely solved my issue but I just bought a Fiio DAP M6 and the instructions show using the Android app to put music from Mac to player. Im prepared this time and I will use a wired mouse to do this when android app is in the iMac but when Im finished Im deleting it. How is it going for you now that you dumped the android app?

It's going great so far. When I look back at it, the problems started around the time I bought the Onkyo DP-X1A DAP and installed the software. Now I've just been transferring my files with an SD card. The issue was driving me insane. Still can't believe an app could wreak such havoc, lol.

Last edited:

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
This is starting to drive me crazy -- or at least crazier than I already am :)

So after my last post (Dec 27/18) I ended up buying a wireless RF mouse with a USB dongle (Macally). And guess what, my bluetooth problems mostly went away! Happy me.

Then because I was having some other issues, I ended up installing 10.13.x (7? > .6 anyway). Then things went down the drain. After a reboot, bluetooth would work until the computer went to sleep. When it woke, nothing I could do would connect the Magic Mouse (or my Kensington BT mouse). So I started using the RF mouse exclusively, but while it is a nice enough mouse I really prefer the MM.

So I upgrade to Mojave (10.14.3) figuring it couldn't get any worse and things got better. The MM mostly works, but about 1/3 of the time about 30-60 seconds after waking it disconnects. I have come to leave the BT Preferences Pane open all the time on my secondary monitor and I can see that Bluetooth turns off, then turns back on in about 5 seconds. Sometimes my MM automatically reconnects and sometimes I have to get out the RF mouse and toggle BT off and on. Usually this works but occasionally I have to do this a couple of times.

I don't run Android File Transfer any more -- it never ever worked for me -- and my Android phone is a secondary phone mostly used to test Apps so I don't really miss it. I do have a Satechi powered USB 3 hub that I've had for years. I don't think it is interference as bluetooth literally turns itself off.

So it is barely tolerable for now. I've started to make sure that software I buy can have the license changed to Windows. I don't plan to switch anytime soon but I want to keep my options open. Windows has gotten better and Apple has gone so far downhill and doesn't seem to be getting any better -- if this keeps up I figure they will probably cross next time I need a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.