2017 MLB Season Thread

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Farrell is a horrible manager and he should have been let go years ago. He was a pitching coach yet he had no idea how to manage the staff. The guy really was clueless how to run a team.

Girardi goes by the book too much and not enough by the gut. He might not want to come back. I think the team wants to keep him. Who else is there to manage that’s any good.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
en.wikipedia.org
A pretty interesting situation is developing in the NLDS contest between the Cubs and Nationals. Game 4 in Chicago was rained out yesterday, which should have made Strasburg available to pitch today. But the Nats are saying they will still go with Roark, even though it's an elimination game. Supposedly Strasburg is "under the weather" but with what malady they are leaving kind of vague and mysterious. They may get rained on again today, and if they go back to Washington for Game 5, more rain is possible for that game.

Pecuniary interest: I have tickets to NLCS games 2 and 6 at Dodger Stadium, currently scheduled for this Sunday and next Saturday.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
A pretty interesting situation is developing in the NLDS contest between the Cubs and Nationals. Game 4 in Chicago was rained out yesterday, which should have made Strasburg available to pitch today. But the Nats are saying they will still go with Roark, even though it's an elimination game. Supposedly Strasburg is "under the weather" but with what malady they are leaving kind of vague and mysterious. They may get rained on again today, and if they go back to Washington for Game 5, more rain is possible for that game.

Pecuniary interest: I have tickets to NLCS games 2 and 6 at Dodger Stadium, currently scheduled for this Sunday and next Saturday.
And Strasburg is now pitching Game 4. Funny what criticism can do.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
www.sonshi.com
Indians, man... run up a 22-game winning streak in the season and then do like this. It's raining or I'd be burning my hat in the backyard right now, at the stroke of midnight.
It’s going to be ok. They will be very strong for several more years with Tito at the helm. No one expected the Yankees Starting Pitching to be so strong.It stinks, but it’s also a great story for the NYY. It’s also today’s baseball. Hit a couple HR’s then shut them down with your bullpen. :apple:

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Agreed, I was very surprised to see the Indians lose the series.
Cleveland, the new Boston... I hope not. Once a team gets to thinking about how they've managed to lose a few times when the chips were down, it can really prey on them. i hope they think about the 22 game streak instead and just relax overwinter.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
en.wikipedia.org
The Dodgers have a world-class monkey on their back too, don't forget. Fans here won't stand for anything less than a season of destiny this time around.

Have tickets to games 2 & 6 of the NLCS. Now we just need to find out who we're going to face.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Dodgers have a world-class monkey on their back too, don't forget. Fans here won't stand for anything less than a season of destiny this time around.

Have tickets to games 2 & 6 of the NLCS. Now we just need to find out who we're going to face.
I hope it is the Nats. Have fun at the games.

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So the Red Sox fire Farrell.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/red-sox-fire-john-farrell.html

I don't get it. Reason why Red Sox keep getting eliminated in the postseason or not making it period has had nothing to do with Farrell mismanaging the team really.
It has much to do with Farrell. He did a very poor job with the pitching staff and they were all worn out by October. I can't even begin to count the number of times the game announcers (both NESN and other networks) questioned his choices on pitching management while commenting how the pitchers would be worn out by time of the playoffs.

Another problem was that the players in many cases were not giving 100%. I would agree with you that it's the players fault but, fair or not fair, it's the managers job to get the players motivated to give 100%.

I'm a Red Sox fan and to me, firing Farrell was almost as good as a world series win. If they kept him, they would have no hope next season, Now, depending on who they get, I can look forward to next season.
[doublepost=1508080822][/doublepost]
Indians, man... run up a 22-game winning streak in the season and then do like this. It's raining or I'd be burning my hat in the backyard right now, at the stroke of midnight.
I have to agree. I really think Cleveland needs to fire Tito.

The Red Sox need a new manager so I guess we could hire him back :D.

Last edited:
Reactions: LizKat

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
en.wikipedia.org
It has much to do with Farrell. He did a very poor job with the pitching staff and they were all worn out by October. I can't even begin to count the number of times the game announcers (both NESN and other networks) questioned his choices on pitching management while commenting how the pitchers would be worn out by time of the playoffs.

Another problem was that the players in many cases were not giving 100%. I would agree with you that it's the players fault but, fair or not fair, it's the managers job to get the players motivated to give 100%.

I'm a Red Sox fan and to me, firing Farrell was almost as good as a world series win. If they kept him, they would have no hope next season, Now, depending on who they get, I can look forward to next season.
This is one of those "only in Boston" kinds of comments. The guy brings you championships, but now he's total trash. I hear this stuff from Boston fans all the time. Must be miserable to be involved with that organization.

When a pitching staff, especially a bullpen, is gassed by October the blame should be placed on the front office, not the manager. He can only manage the assets he's been given.